"A mind is a terrible thing to have leaking out your ears." -- The League of Sadistic Telepaths

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

SubjectAuthor
* GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallFarley Flud
+- Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallPhysfitfreak
+* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recallrbowman
|+* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallChris Ahlstrom
||`* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recallrbowman
|| `- Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallPhysfitfreak
|`- Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallPhysfitfreak
+* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallChris Ahlstrom
|`* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recallchrisv
| +* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallChris Ahlstrom
| |`* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recallcandycanearter07
| | `* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recallrbowman
| |  `* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallFarley Flud
| |   `* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recallrbowman
| |    `* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallPhysfitfreak
| |     `* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallFarley Flud
| |      +- Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recallvallor
| |      `- Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallPhysfitfreak
| `- Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recallrbowman
`* Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallTyrone
 `- Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle RecallFarley Flud

1
GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<17cb785806c1ded1$222733$1425202$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14053&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14053

From: ff...@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Subject: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 20:46:42 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Wed, 1 May 2024 20:46 UTC

A couple of fucking years ago I purchased a handle bar stem raiser
for my mountain bike.

It was somewhat of a bitch to install as I had to also install new
shift and brake cables, along with their housings, due to the increased
height.

Now I get a fucking recall notice:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2024/Delta-Cycle-Recalls-Bicycle-Stem-Raisers-Due-to-Fall-Hazard

Fortunately, I purchased the Delta 3418B which does not require new
bolts:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2024/Delta-Cycle-Recalls-Bicycle-Stem-Raisers-Due-to-Fall-Hazard

But it must tightened to 20nm.

What the fuck is 20nm? Is that Newton-meters? I suppose that it
is, but the fucking web site does not specify although it should.
Fucking incompetent assholes are everywhere.

Now I've got to purchase a fucking torque wrench but no I will not.
I'll just tighten the fucking bolts until it feels "right."

What does this have to do with GNU/Linux?

It's you're fucking job to figure it out. Asshole.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v0uf29$8r89$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14062&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14062

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 17:17:45 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Wed, 1 May 2024 22:17 UTC

On 5/1/24 15:46, Farley Flud wrote:
> A couple of fucking years ago I purchased a handle bar stem raiser
> for my mountain bike.
>
> It was somewhat of a bitch to install as I had to also install new
> shift and brake cables, along with their housings, due to the increased
> height.
>
> Now I get a fucking recall notice:
>
> https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2024/Delta-Cycle-Recalls-Bicycle-Stem-Raisers-Due-to-Fall-Hazard
>
> Fortunately, I purchased the Delta 3418B which does not require new
> bolts:
>
> https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2024/Delta-Cycle-Recalls-Bicycle-Stem-Raisers-Due-to-Fall-Hazard
>
> But it must tightened to 20nm.
>
> What the fuck is 20nm? Is that Newton-meters? I suppose that it
> is, but the fucking web site does not specify although it should.
> Fucking incompetent assholes are everywhere.
>
> Now I've got to purchase a fucking torque wrench but no I will not.
> I'll just tighten the fucking bolts until it feels "right."
>
> What does this have to do with GNU/Linux?
>
> It's you're fucking job to figure it out. Asshole.
>
> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Farley: "I don't have a torque wrench."

Physfit: "Even if you had one you couldn't use it correctly."

Farley: "Care to explain?"

Physfit: "You'd need to calibrate it first, and you don't know how."

Farley: "How do you know I don't know that."

Physfit: "Even after reading up on the physics of it, I doubt you could
conduct an accurate experiment to calibrate it."

Farley: "Perhaps they come already calibrated."

Physfit: "Never."

Farley: "Then why nobody has ever complained about that."

Physfit: "Few can find that much care in them."

Farley: "So what the fuck am I supposed to do to calibrate it?"

Physfit: "Watch two or three youtube uploads that explain how it's done."

Farley: "What did my post have to do with linux?"

Physfit: "When it has to do with your dick, it has to also do with
GNU/Linux."

Farley: "You got _that_ right!"

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<l9gf9oFhoj6U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14097&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14097

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 2 May 2024 03:23:36 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 2 May 2024 03:23 UTC

On Wed, 01 May 2024 20:46:42 +0000, Farley Flud wrote:

> Now I've got to purchase a fucking torque wrench but no I will not.
> I'll just tighten the fucking bolts until it feels "right."

15 ft-lbs isn't much unless you're a complete wuss. Why did you need a
riser in the first place? So you can ride in a sit-up-and-beg position
like an old lady on a 'comfort' bike?

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v0vu4s$3qugd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14102&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14102

From: OFeem1...@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 07:41:16 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Thu, 2 May 2024 11:41 UTC

Farley Flud wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> <brevsnip>
>
> But it must tightened to 20nm.
>
> What the fuck is 20nm? Is that Newton-meters? I suppose that it
> is, but the fucking web site does not specify although it should.
> Fucking incompetent assholes are everywhere.

You ignorant American and your foot-pounds! :-D

--
Q: Why do people who live near Niagara Falls have flat foreheads?
A: Because every morning they wake up thinking "What *is* that noise?

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v0vu8t$3qugd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14103&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14103

From: OFeem1...@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 07:43:25 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Thu, 2 May 2024 11:43 UTC

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Wed, 01 May 2024 20:46:42 +0000, Farley Flud wrote:
>
>> Now I've got to purchase a fucking torque wrench but no I will not.
>> I'll just tighten the fucking bolts until it feels "right."
>
> 15 ft-lbs isn't much unless you're a complete wuss. Why did you need a
> riser in the first place? So you can ride in a sit-up-and-beg position
> like an old lady on a 'comfort' bike?

Maybe his "mountain bike" has three wheels and a basket.

(Actually, those are difficult to ride at first, because your body
unconsciously uses two-wheel muscular correction. As I found out riding
my grandmother's trike.)

--
You two ought to be more careful--your love could drag on for years and years.

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<IZ6dnV5AMeSPH677nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14109&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14109

From: non...@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 12:07:46 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Thu, 2 May 2024 12:07 UTC

On May 1, 2024 at 4:46:42 PM EDT, "Farley Fucktard" <ff@linux.sucks> wrote:

> What does this have to do with GNU/Linux?

Let's figure this out. The clues are: You know nothing about bicycles. You
know nothing about programming. You know nothing about Linux. You know
nothing about searching the internet for answers.

Yes. It all seems related. You ask for help here, then later you deny that you
needed help. What are you going to do? Write a Linux "computer program" to
convert lb-ft into n-m? Will you use C or Python?

You are a clueless dweeb.

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<gh273j53b2m8b0p37qpp2iq0n1knaa1k48@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14113&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14113

From: chr...@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 07:44:01 -0500
 by: chrisv - Thu, 2 May 2024 12:44 UTC

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>Farley Flud wrote:
>>
>> What the fuck is 20nm? Is that Newton-meters? I suppose that it
>> is, but the fucking web site does not specify although it should.
>> Fucking incompetent assholes are everywhere.
>
>You ignorant American and your foot-pounds! :-D

Pounds-feet. An extremely common error, to call them foot-pounds...

--
"There are many other things I'd rather be doing with my free time
than sitting around burning CD images to try different distros." -

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v108k0$3tasi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14124&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14124

From: OFeem1...@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 10:40:00 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Thu, 2 May 2024 14:40 UTC

chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>>Farley Flud wrote:
>>>
>>> What the fuck is 20nm? Is that Newton-meters? I suppose that it
>>> is, but the fucking web site does not specify although it should.
>>> Fucking incompetent assholes are everywhere.
>>
>>You ignorant American and your foot-pounds! :-D
>
> Pounds-feet. An extremely common error, to call them foot-pounds...

Heck, Google shows you are correct!

-- Mark Twain

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<l9i3hoFpdudU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14140&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14140

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 2 May 2024 18:15:20 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 2 May 2024 18:15 UTC

On Thu, 02 May 2024 07:44:01 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Pounds-feet. An extremely common error, to call them foot-pounds...

Quoting from page 1-10 of my Harley Davidson service manual

"In the English table torque figures are listed in ft-lbs, except those
marked with an asterisk (*) which are listed in in-lbs. In the metric
table, figures are listed in Newton-meters." Eurotrash can FOAD.

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<l9i443FpdudU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14141&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14141

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 2 May 2024 18:25:07 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 2 May 2024 18:25 UTC

On Thu, 2 May 2024 07:43:25 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Actually, those are difficult to ride at first, because your body
> unconsciously uses two-wheel muscular correction. As I found out riding
> my grandmother's trike.)

It didn't last long but there was a shop that dealt in scooters. The
salesman tried to get me to take a Piaggio MP3 for a spin. I passed since
I figured if push came to shove I would do the absolute wrong thing.

https://www.piaggio.com/us_EN/models/piaggio-mp3/

If I get to the point where I can't cut it on two wheels the Can-Am Ryker
is attractive but I would need to be very careful until my mind realized
it isn't a motorcycle. Sidecars have their unpleasant surprises too.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en/

The worst bicycle experience I ever had was when a friend and I tried to
ride a tandem. It's a wonder we survived. The person in back has to
pretend to be a sack of potatoes.

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v10o46$9vee$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14149&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14149

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 14:04:38 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Thu, 2 May 2024 19:04 UTC

On 5/1/24 22:23, rbowman wrote:
> On Wed, 01 May 2024 20:46:42 +0000, Farley Flud wrote:
>
>> Now I've got to purchase a fucking torque wrench but no I will not.
>> I'll just tighten the fucking bolts until it feels "right."
>
> 15 ft-lbs isn't much unless you're a complete wuss. Why did you need a
> riser in the first place? So you can ride in a sit-up-and-beg position
> like an old lady on a 'comfort' bike?

If lowering the saddle all the way down doesn't do it, then one can
raise the stem tube itself higher up. There's an adjustment there too.
And if even that is not enough, then something must be wrong with that
bicycle's design. It could be one of those very expensive sportish bikes
that do not have such features to keep them minimal and as light as
possible, which he wants to get dual use from.

But you're wrong about "sit up and beg" idea. It makes a much more
pleasant and relaxing ride if one is to use the bike in a public area
for short nice escapades. You don't want to do it looking around from a
reptilian position :) Hehe :)

I have two different bikes for each purpose (I got 5 bikes), old and
acquired dirt cheap, but still rocking like day one.

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v10os8$9vee$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14150&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14150

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 14:17:28 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Thu, 2 May 2024 19:17 UTC

On 5/2/24 13:25, rbowman wrote:
> The worst bicycle experience I ever had was when a friend and I tried to
> ride a tandem. It's a wonder we survived. The person in back has to
> pretend to be a sack of potatoes.

How can one concentrate on surrounding and enjoy the scenery with a
man's hands on one's shoulders?.. Heck even a woman's hands. So
unnatural. One should experience that shit only in a parachuting mishap.

Only death is worse than that :)

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<17cbc70784b24bec$1958$3421312$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14154&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14154

From: ff...@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 20:48:38 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Thu, 2 May 2024 20:48 UTC

On Thu, 02 May 2024 12:07:46 +0000, Tyrone wrote:

> Yes. It all seems related. You ask for help here, then later you deny that you
> needed help. What are you going to do? Write a Linux "computer program" to
> convert lb-ft into n-m? Will you use C or Python?

Nope. I'll use GNU units:

[~]# units
Currency exchange rates from exchangerate-api.com (USD base) on 2024-02-18
Consumer price index data from US BLS, 2024-02-18
7235 units, 125 prefixes, 134 nonlinear units

You have: N m
You want: ft lbf
* 0.73756215
/ 1.3558179

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Another asshole wastes his time attempting to overturn the Master.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v12one$ihfm$12@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14173&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14173

From: candycan...@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 13:27:10 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 3 May 2024 13:27 UTC

Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote at 14:40 this Thursday (GMT):
> chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>>>You ignorant American and your foot-pounds! :-D
>>
>> Pounds-feet. An extremely common error, to call them foot-pounds...
>
> Heck, Google shows you are correct!

Wait, that's a real measurement?

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<l9kon3F77ntU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14191&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14191

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 3 May 2024 18:28:51 GMT
 by: rbowman - Fri, 3 May 2024 18:28 UTC

On Fri, 3 May 2024 13:27:10 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07 wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote at 14:40 this Thursday
> (GMT):
>> chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> Pounds-feet. An extremely common error, to call them foot-pounds...
>>
>> Heck, Google shows you are correct!
>

> Wait, that's a real measurement?

I went out and looked at my torque wrench just for kicks. Yup, the scale
is clearly marked 'foot pounds'. That's the 1/2 drive one. I didn't look
but I'm sure the 1/4 drive is marked 'inch pounds'.

These are the traditional beam wrenched with a pointer and scale, not the
newer automatic sort.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-in-dr-beam-style-torque-wrench/
p-00932999000P

Mine has 'Foot pounds' where that one has 'Craftsman' but it's similar.
The description says '0-75 Ft. Lbs.'

https://shoppress.dormanproducts.com/wheel-torque-specs/

That sums up why I prefer the beam style. They are accurate until the beam
breaks and I've never had that happen.

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<l9lem2Faaa3U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14200&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14200

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 4 May 2024 00:43:46 GMT
 by: rbowman - Sat, 4 May 2024 00:43 UTC

On Fri, 03 May 2024 19:34:39 +0000, Farley Flud wrote:

> What a fucking idiot!

iirc you're the stupid motherfucker that can't even work on a bicycle.

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<17cc11928425fe02$3461$1588$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14207&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14207

From: ff...@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 19:34:39 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Fri, 3 May 2024 19:34 UTC

On 3 May 2024 18:28:51 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> I went out and looked at my torque wrench just for kicks. Yup, the scale
> is clearly marked 'foot pounds'. That's the 1/2 drive one. I didn't look
> but I'm sure the 1/4 drive is marked 'inch pounds'.

What a fucking idiot!

If you knew anything about elementary physics, torque is equal to the
cross product of radial position and force: T = r X F.

In quotidian applications, this equation reduces to T = (lever arm)*(force).

In SI units, force is Newtons and the lever arm, or moment arm, is
meters. Hence, Torque = N * m.

In the antiquated English units, Torque = feet * lbf (foot-pounds).

Here, we must distinguish "pounds of force," lbf, and "pounds of mass,"
lb.

The proper way to express torque in the English system is lbf-ft,
but the English-derived idiots, including you, usually employ ft-lbf.

I prefer SI units but it will require the English-derived idiots
centuries to adapt.

Fortunately, GNU Units doesn't care:

[~]# units

You have: N m
You want: lbf ft
* 0.73756215
/ 1.3558179

You have: N m
You want: ft lbf
* 0.73756215
/ 1.3558179

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v16lcs$vcs$5@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14272&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14272

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 19:54:52 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Sun, 5 May 2024 00:54 UTC

On 5/3/24 19:43, rbowman wrote:
> On Fri, 03 May 2024 19:34:39 +0000, Farley Flud wrote:
>

>> What a fucking idiot!
>
> iirc you're the stupid motherfucker that can't even work on a bicycle.

Hahhhahhahh :-)

He once said he didn't know how to play chess. And then he said he had
never played bowling. I remember I couldn't quite place where he grew up
then. The entire greater Iran, greater India, the entire Europe and
Russia, and the whole continent of Americas know and play chess. There's
been grand masters in chess from Cuba, beginning with the late 1800s...
There are presently grand masters in USA and Canada. World famous. And
there was that Bobby Fischer.

So where, which continent, which country, and which city is Farley from,
that doesn't know chess and hasn't played bowling? We Iranians fucked
our American girls within two hours after taking them to bowling
centers, about four months after stepping into this country.

And on his bicycle, instead of pulling the stem tube farther out and up
and tightening it for that position, he purchases an extension of some
sort to bring the handle bar higher... I've messed with bicycles all my
life and I've never done that.

So he hasn't fooled with bicycles either like others who do that all
their childhood and juvenile years.

Is Farley a cat? ... Hahhahahh :-)

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<17cc7d9aab8669de$12265$291924$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14278&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14278

From: ff...@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 05 May 2024 04:34:21 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Sun, 5 May 2024 04:34 UTC

On Sat, 4 May 2024 19:54:52 -0500, Physfitfreak wrote:

> And on his bicycle, instead of pulling the stem tube farther out and up
> and tightening it for that position, he purchases an extension of some
> sort to bring the handle bar higher... I've messed with bicycles all my
> life and I've never done that.

That's only possible with the traditional quill stem.

Lots of newer bikes have the threadless stem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_(bicycle_part)

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

A threadless stem requires an extender to raise the handlebars.

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v1775i$1m3mm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14282&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14282

From: val...@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 05:58:10 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Sun, 5 May 2024 05:58 UTC

On Sun, 05 May 2024 04:34:21 +0000, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjHHTWalnvw

--
-v

Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall

<v17csa$1d29$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14285&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#14285

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 02:35:38 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Sun, 5 May 2024 07:35 UTC

On 5/4/24 23:34, Farley Flud wrote:
> On Sat, 4 May 2024 19:54:52 -0500, Physfitfreak wrote:
>

>> And on his bicycle, instead of pulling the stem tube farther out and up
>> and tightening it for that position, he purchases an extension of some
>> sort to bring the handle bar higher... I've messed with bicycles all my
>> life and I've never done that.
>>

> That's only possible with the traditional quill stem.
>
> Lots of newer bikes have the threadless stem:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_(bicycle_part)
>
> https://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html
>

> A threadless stem requires an extender to raise the handlebars.

I see. None of my bicycles had a fixed length stem. The ones I have are
all adjustable. Even the one I inherited from my elder brothers when I
was 5 years old and learned riding with it, had an adjustable stem (a
Phillips bicycle with that lion thing).

I'm no expert in these stuff, just in my experience never encountered a
fixed stem type.

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: GNU/Linux Bicycle Recall