Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed. -- Alexander Pope

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: I Teach the Humanities, and I Still Don’t Know What Their Value Is by Agnes Callard

SubjectAuthor
* I Teach the Humanities, and I Still Don’t Know Whaltlee1
`- Re: I Teach the Humanities, and I Still Don’t Knowltlee1

1
I Teach the Humanities, and I Still Don’t Know What Their Value Is by Agnes Callard

<2bf98d23-f8e7-4780-b9d2-4bb39831a3cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14052&group=soc.culture.china#14052

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 07:12:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: I_Teach_the_Humanities,_and_I_Still_Don’t_Know_Wha
t_Their_Value_Is___by_Agnes_Callard
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:12 UTC

"Dr. Callard is an associate professor of philosophy at the University of Chicago and the author of “Aspiration: The Agency of Becoming.”

If a group of math students fails to learn the material, that might be because the teacher is not trying hard enough or because she has been inappropriately tasked with, for example, teaching calculus to toddlers. Supposing, however, that neither of these things is true — the teacher is passionately invested in teaching, and she has many suitable students — yet her students all fail the final exam, eventually we would be forced to say that she might not know math so well.

I believe that we humanists are in the position of this math teacher. We have been issuing a steady stream of defenses of the humanities for many decades now, but the crisis of the humanities only grows. In the face of declining student interest and mounting political scrutiny, universities and colleges are increasingly putting humanities departments on the chopping block.

We humanists keep on trying to teach people what the value of the humanities is, and people keep failing to learn our lessons. This suggests to me that humanists do not know the value of the thing they are trying to defend. We can spout pieties that sound inspiring to those already convinced of our cause, but so too can an ignorant math teacher “teach” math to those who already know it.

As a humanist — someone who reads, teaches and researches primarily philosophy but also, on the side, novels and poems and plays and movies — I am prepared to come out and admit that I do not know what the value of the humanities is. I do not know whether the study of the humanities promotes democracy or improves your moral character or enriches your leisure time or improves your critical thinking skills or increases your empathy.

You might be surprised to learn that this bit of ignorance poses no obstacle to me in the classroom. I suppose it would if I approached the teaching of Descartes as a matter of explaining why reading Descartes will make you a better person, but that is not how I teach Descartes, nor does any philosopher I know teach Descartes in that way. I am there to lay out the premises of his reasoning, to explain some of the relevant concepts, to entertain questions and objections and to work through the arguments together with the students to see if they hold water. We are searching, trying to find the value that may be there.

I once asked the best teacher I ever had why she no longer taught her favorite novel, and she said that she stopped teaching a book when she found she was no longer curious about it. The humanistic spirit is, fundamentally, an inquisitive one.
If at some point I am called on to defend the study of Homer or Descartes at some official hearing, I will do my best, but I do not deem it right to change my approach to what I study and teach in anticipation of that encounter. I will not run to battle; the battle will have to come to me.

The task of humanists is to invite, to welcome, to entice, to excite, to engage. And when we let ourselves be ourselves, when we allow the humanistic spirit that animates us to flow out not only into our classrooms but also in our public-self presentation, we find we don’t need to defend or prove anything: We are irresistible.

Are the humanities valuable? What is their value? These are good questions, they are worth asking, and if humanists don’t ask them, no one will. But remember: No one can genuinely ask a question to which she thinks she already has the answer."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/02/opinion/education-humanities-college-value.html

Re: I Teach the Humanities, and I Still Don’t Know What Their Value Is by Agnes Callard

<a12530ec-ecdc-4097-8697-05d95fd94367n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14061&group=soc.culture.china#14061

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 06:17:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_I_Teach_the_Humanities,_and_I_Still_Don’t_Know
_What_Their_Value_Is_by_Agnes_Callard
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 14:17 UTC

On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 3:12:58 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
> If at some point I am called on to defend the study of Homer or Descartes at some official hearing, I will do my best, but I do not deem it right to change my approach to what I study and teach in anticipation of that encounter. I will not run to battle; the battle will have to come to me.
>
> The task of humanists is to invite, to welcome, to entice, to excite, to engage. And when we let ourselves be ourselves, when we allow the humanistic spirit that animates us to flow out not only into our classrooms but also in our public-self presentation, we find we don’t need to defend or prove anything: We are irresistible.
>
> Are the humanities valuable? What is their value? These are good questions, they are worth asking, and if humanists don’t ask them, no one will. But remember: No one can genuinely ask a question to which she thinks she already has the answer."

My 2 cents:
America is cultural immature. It is culturally speaking more like an adolescent in comparison to other Western nations. Hence
MOST humanities items, while Western, do not have an American origin. Unlike the Christian Bible, these humanities items are
not integrated into Americans' everyday life. And they are in general not real taught at younger ages. If Descartes , Plato, and etc
were Americans, kids would hear about them and what they did at younger age and more likely to find out more about them later.

At this age of rationalizaion, most humanities items are more or less like Imelda Marcos' shoes. Nice to know them. And definitely
may people look and feel great under the right circumstance and/or when fashionable. But not really a necessity. Value is after all
a group thing.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: I Teach the Humanities, and I Still Don’t Know What Their Value Is by Agnes Callard