"All these black people are screwing up my democracy." - Ian Smith

interests / alt.usage.english / Germans (Overlap)

SubjectAuthor
* Germans (Overlap)Stefan Ram
`* Re: Germans (Overlap)Quinn C
 +* Re: Germans (Overlap)Peter T. Daniels
 |`* Re: Germans (Overlap)Athel Cornish-Bowden
 | `- Re: Germans (Overlap)Peter T. Daniels
 `- Re: Germans (Overlap)bruce bowser

1
Germans (Overlap)

<Overlap-20220709135130@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=139299&group=alt.usage.english#139299

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Germans (Overlap)
Date: 9 Jul 2022 13:02:24 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 13:02 UTC

A book says:

|Overlap vs. interruption (speaking at the same time).
|Germans often start speaking while others are speaking in
|order to show eager involvement in the conversation. To an
|American who believes that only one person should be speaking
|at a time, this overlap comes across as an interruption, an
|attempt to take the floor before the American has finished.
|The American will probably yield the floor, feeling
|interrupted, convinced that the German wants only to speak,
|not to listen. But the German who intended the overlap as a
|show of enthusiasm will conclude that the American has no
|more to say or is unwilling to contribute ideas to the conversation.

My comment: Remembering the deliberations of a German-
speaking jury I just watched on TV, I have the impression
that, there, the interruptors try to find the sweet spot for
an "interruption" which happens just at the point where the
speaker was about to finish speaking anyway. If a speaker
was not finished yet, he will usually protest, "I wasn't finished
yet." or "Please let me finish!", which will then be respected.

Re: Germans (Overlap)

<trod5hufrvkd.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=139341&group=alt.usage.english#139341

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Subject: Re: Germans (Overlap)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 11:58:07 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 15:58 UTC

* Stefan Ram:

> A book says:
>
>|Overlap vs. interruption (speaking at the same time).
>|Germans often start speaking while others are speaking in
>|order to show eager involvement in the conversation. To an
>|American who believes that only one person should be speaking
>|at a time, this overlap comes across as an interruption, an
>|attempt to take the floor before the American has finished.
>|The American will probably yield the floor, feeling
>|interrupted, convinced that the German wants only to speak,
>|not to listen. But the German who intended the overlap as a
>|show of enthusiasm will conclude that the American has no
>|more to say or is unwilling to contribute ideas to the conversation.
>
> My comment: Remembering the deliberations of a German-
> speaking jury I just watched on TV, I have the impression
> that, there, the interruptors try to find the sweet spot for
> an "interruption" which happens just at the point where the
> speaker was about to finish speaking anyway. If a speaker
> was not finished yet, he will usually protest, "I wasn't finished
> yet." or "Please let me finish!", which will then be respected.

Like some other characterization of "German" vs. "American" language
behavior you quoted here, it reminds me a lot of the difference between
East-coast Americans (speaking with overlap, louder, more direct) and
West-coast Americans that Deborah Tannen studied, in her less popular
work.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Tannen#%22High-involvement%22_vs._%22high-considerateness%22>

--
I hate the space-time continuum!
-- Dreamer, Supergirl S06E18

Re: Germans (Overlap)

<28986539-9093-49d3-9b71-575377a01c2fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=139355&group=alt.usage.english#139355

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 09:23:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 16:23 UTC

On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 11:58:16 AM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
> * Stefan Ram:
>
> > A book says:
> >
> >|Overlap vs. interruption (speaking at the same time).
> >|Germans often start speaking while others are speaking in
> >|order to show eager involvement in the conversation. To an
> >|American who believes that only one person should be speaking
> >|at a time, this overlap comes across as an interruption, an
> >|attempt to take the floor before the American has finished.
> >|The American will probably yield the floor, feeling
> >|interrupted, convinced that the German wants only to speak,
> >|not to listen. But the German who intended the overlap as a
> >|show of enthusiasm will conclude that the American has no
> >|more to say or is unwilling to contribute ideas to the conversation.

That is utter nonsense. Why the hell is Stefan incapable of
identifying his sources? What is "a book"?

> > My comment: Remembering the deliberations of a German-
> > speaking jury I just watched on TV, I have the impression
> > that, there, the interruptors try to find the sweet spot for
> > an "interruption" which happens just at the point where the
> > speaker was about to finish speaking anyway. If a speaker
> > was not finished yet, he will usually protest, "I wasn't finished
> > yet." or "Please let me finish!", which will then be respected.

??? Jury deliberations are not secret?????

Stefan _is_ still in the Stasi!

> Like some other characterization of "German" vs. "American" language
> behavior you quoted here, it reminds me a lot of the difference between
> East-coast Americans (speaking with overlap, louder, more direct) and
> West-coast Americans that Deborah Tannen studied, in her less popular
> work.

I have the distinct impression that the Thanksgiving dinner that Tannen
has been writing about for many decades now was in Philadelphia. (I've
heard her speak several times but never found it interesting enough to
read her stuff.)
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Tannen#%22High-involvement%22_vs._%22high-considerateness%22>

Re: Germans (Overlap)

<a07d6264-63bc-43e1-a75a-43c2b06c1c1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=139365&group=alt.usage.english#139365

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 10:15:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 17:15 UTC

On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 11:58:16 AM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
> * Stefan Ram:
>
> > A book says:
> >
> >|Overlap vs. interruption (speaking at the same time).
> >|Germans often start speaking while others are speaking in
> >|order to show eager involvement in the conversation. To an
> >|American who believes that only one person should be speaking
> >|at a time, this overlap comes across as an interruption, an
> >|attempt to take the floor before the American has finished.
> >|The American will probably yield the floor, feeling
> >|interrupted, convinced that the German wants only to speak,
> >|not to listen. But the German who intended the overlap as a
> >|show of enthusiasm will conclude that the American has no
> >|more to say or is unwilling to contribute ideas to the conversation.
> >
> > My comment: Remembering the deliberations of a German-
> > speaking jury I just watched on TV, I have the impression
> > that, there, the interruptors try to find the sweet spot for
> > an "interruption" which happens just at the point where the
> > speaker was about to finish speaking anyway. If a speaker
> > was not finished yet, he will usually protest, "I wasn't finished
> > yet." or "Please let me finish!", which will then be respected.
>
> Like some other characterization of "German" vs. "American" language
> behavior you quoted here, it reminds me a lot of the difference between
> East-coast Americans (speaking with overlap, louder, more direct) and
> West-coast Americans that Deborah Tannen studied, in her less popular
> work.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Tannen#%22High-involvement%22_vs._%22high-considerateness%22>

Trying to read English vs German crime shows is funny, because German uses so many fewer conjuctions.

Re: Germans (Overlap)

<jitvvaF6013U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=139373&group=alt.usage.english#139373

From: acorn...@imm.cnrs.fr (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 20:33:13 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 18:33 UTC

On 2022-07-09 16:23:39 +0000, Peter T. Daniels said:

> On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 11:58:16 AM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
>> * Stefan Ram:
>>
>>> A book says:

> That is utter nonsense. Why the hell is Stefan incapable of
> identifying his sources? What is "a book"?

That's one of the great mysteries about Stefan's posts. I doubt whether
he's likely to change.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Re: Germans (Overlap)

<df139a80-0812-48bf-a74c-bfa9155c1348n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=139378&group=alt.usage.english#139378

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 12:19:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 19:19 UTC

On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 2:33:18 PM UTC-4, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2022-07-09 16:23:39 +0000, Peter T. Daniels said:
> > On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 11:58:16 AM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
> >> * Stefan Ram:

> > That is utter nonsense. Why the hell is Stefan incapable of
> > identifying his sources? What is "a book"?
>
> That's one of the great mysteries about Stefan's posts. I doubt whether
> he's likely to change.

Oh, hello. Did you find the disquisition you requested on Syriac useful?

interests / alt.usage.english / Germans (Overlap)