"You can have my Unix system when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers." -- Cal Keegan

interests / alt.usage.english / WV Quine and English Usage

SubjectAuthor
* WV Quine and English Usagehenh...@gmail.com
+* Re: WV Quine and English UsageRoss Clark
|`* Re: WV Quine and English Usagehenh...@gmail.com
| +- Re: WV Quine and English UsageRoss Clark
| `- Re: WV Quine and English UsageHenHanna
`* Re: WV Quine and English UsagePeter Moylan
 `* Re: WV Quine and English Usagehenh...@gmail.com
  `- Re: WV Quine and English UsagePeter Moylan

1
WV Quine and English Usage

<3a30f62f-9557-4836-96aa-d8748d7877a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138667&group=alt.usage.english#138667

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 07:35:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: WV Quine and English Usage
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 14:35 UTC

https://playback.fm/born-in-city/akron-oh

The Most Famous Person Born in Akron, Ohio is Willard Van Orman Quine.

FAME METER (40/100)

------- what does he mean to the average person ?

or to someone who likes books, reading, ... ?

or to someone who 's interested in English- Usage ?

Re: WV Quine and English Usage

<t9vn78$3fukn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138759&group=alt.usage.english#138759

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: WV Quine and English Usage
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 09:48:22 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 21:48 UTC

On 5/07/2022 2:35 a.m., henh...@gmail.com wrote:

> https://playback.fm/born-in-city/akron-oh
>
> The Most Famous Person Born in Akron, Ohio is Willard Van Orman Quine.
>
> FAME METER (40/100)
>

> ------- what does he mean to the average person ?
>
> or to someone who likes books, reading, ... ?
>
> or to someone who 's interested in English- Usage ?

Nothing.
He was a philosopher and logician.
To people interested in "confirmation holism and ontological relativity"
he was probably quite important.
He had quite a bit to say about language, so linguists were aware of
him. But about English- Usage? Nothing.
On the other hand...
A computer program whose output is its own source code is called a
"quine" after Quine. This usage was introduced by Douglas Hofstadter in
his 1979 book, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid.
Quine is a recurring character in the webcomic "Existential Comics".
Quine was selected for inclusion in the Committee for Skeptical
Inquiry's "Pantheon of Skeptics", which celebrates contributors to the
cause of scientific skepticism.
Quine was mentioned in the Peacock series A.P. Bio.
(Thanks Wiki)

Re: WV Quine and English Usage

<481d60d4-952b-4ec3-b21c-97925fa528a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138771&group=alt.usage.english#138771

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 18:25:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 01:25 UTC

On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 2:48:29 PM UTC-7, benl...@ihug.co.nz wrote:
> On 5/07/2022 2:35 a.m., henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > https://playback.fm/born-in-city/akron-oh
> >
> > The Most Famous Person Born in Akron, Ohio is Willard Van Orman Quine.
> >
> > FAME METER (40/100)
> >

> > ------- what does he mean to the average person ?
> >
> > or to someone who likes books, reading, ... ?
> >
> > or to someone who 's interested in English- Usage ?
> >
> Nothing.
> He was a philosopher and logician.
> To people interested in "confirmation holism and ontological relativity"
> he was probably quite important.
> He had quite a bit to say about language, so linguists were aware of
> him. But about English- Usage? Nothing.
> On the other hand...
> A computer program whose output is its own source code is called a
> "quine" after Quine. This usage was introduced by Douglas Hofstadter in
> his 1979 book, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid.
> Quine is a recurring character in the webcomic "Existential Comics".
> Quine was selected for inclusion in the Committee for Skeptical
> Inquiry's "Pantheon of Skeptics", which celebrates contributors to the
> cause of scientific skepticism.
> Quine was mentioned in the Peacock series A.P. Bio.
> (Thanks Wiki)

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/29/arts/w-v-quine-philosopher-who-analyzed-language-and-reality-dies-at-92.html
>>> W. V. Quine, a logician and Harvard philosophy professor whose analysis of language and its relation to reality made him one of the most influential philosophers of the 20th century, died on Monday at a hospital in Boston, where he lived. He was 92.

----------- the average person may have never heard of him but

still Quine may have influenced the average person's interest in language
(e.g. AUE)
(e.g. how Janus-words are so popular and talked-about)

and what kind of humor is enjoyed by the masses ------- e.g. the TV show Big Bang Theory

https://xkcd.com/785/ ------- the 3rd panel is M.C. Quine

Re: WV Quine and English Usage

<ta0bm6$3kbj6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138779&group=alt.usage.english#138779

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 13:37:40 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 03:37 UTC

On 05/07/22 00:35, henh...@gmail.com wrote:

> https://playback.fm/born-in-city/akron-oh
>
> The Most Famous Person Born in Akron, Ohio is Willard Van Orman Quine.
>
> FAME METER (40/100)
>

> ------- what does he mean to the average person ?
>
> or to someone who likes books, reading, ... ?
>
> or to someone who 's interested in English- Usage ?

Quine and McCluskey were prominently mentioned in the "Computer
Engineering I" class that I taught for a number of years.

Re: WV Quine and English Usage

<bbececac-d917-4950-bf13-8286a8a64057n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138786&group=alt.usage.english#138786

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 22:33:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 05:33 UTC

On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 8:37:46 PM UTC-7, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 05/07/22 00:35, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > https://playback.fm/born-in-city/akron-oh
> >
> > The Most Famous Person Born in Akron, Ohio is Willard Van Orman Quine.
> >
> > FAME METER (40/100)
> >

> > ------- what does he mean to the average person ?
> >
> > or to someone who likes books, reading, ... ?
> >
> > or to someone who 's interested in English- Usage ?

> Quine and McCluskey were prominently mentioned in the "Computer
> Engineering I" class that I taught for a number of years.
>
> --
> Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW http://www.pmoylan.org

(minimization of Boolean functions) Quine McCluskey minimization method, is a technique for reducing for minimizing the expression in their SOP (sum of product) or POS (product of sum) form. Also called a tabular method, this method has advantages over the K Map method, in case the number of input variables is large.
------------ i wonder what else Quine did that was technical.

that reminds me... that Chomsky and Quine and a dozen others
(into the 1950's, 1960's) did foundational work in
BOTH
philosophy (of language) AND math, CompSci

but such academic breadth has become much rarer now ?

Re: WV Quine and English Usage

<ta0mh4$3l600$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138789&group=alt.usage.english#138789

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 16:42:39 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 06:42 UTC

On 05/07/22 15:33, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 8:37:46 PM UTC-7, Peter Moylan wrote:
>> On 05/07/22 00:35, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> https://playback.fm/born-in-city/akron-oh
>>>
>>> The Most Famous Person Born in Akron, Ohio is Willard Van Orman Quine.
>>>
>>> FAME METER (40/100)
>>>

>>> ------- what does he mean to the average person ?
>>>
>>> or to someone who likes books, reading, ... ?
>>>
>>> or to someone who 's interested in English- Usage ?
>
>> Quine and McCluskey were prominently mentioned in the "Computer
>> Engineering I" class that I taught for a number of years.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW http://www.pmoylan.org
>

> (minimization of Boolean functions) Quine McCluskey minimization method, is a technique for reducing for minimizing the expression in their SOP (sum of product) or POS (product of sum) form. Also called a tabular method, this method has advantages over the K Map method, in case the number of input variables is large.
> ------------ i wonder what else Quine did that was technical.
>

> that reminds me... that Chomsky and Quine and a dozen others
> (into the 1950's, 1960's) did foundational work in
> BOTH
> philosophy (of language) AND math, CompSci
>
> but such academic breadth has become much rarer now ?

The overlap is understandable in the case of logic, which is inherently
a cross-disciplinary area. Note that Quine was clearly a philosopher,
and McCluskey was equally clearly an electrical engineer. It is
interesting that the laws of logic as studied by philosophers has such a
strong overlap with the Boolean algebra that is central to digital
circuit design, but in hindsight it is not surprising.

The other overlap you mention is because language is an important
concept in computer programming. One of the first CS subjects I ever
taught was on compiler design. (For those who don't know, a compiler
translates from a programming language to a more primitive language
called machine language.) To teach that stuff it is essential to start
with material on formal grammars and parsing. The BNF used by computer
science people is closely related to the notation used by Chomsky for
context-free grammars, and people on both sides of the divide were well
aware of that.

At a later stage I briefly taught a postgraduate subject on the
relationships between automata theory and formal languages. That gets a
little heavier, especially when dealing with the distinctions between
deterministic and non-deterministic automata. I doubt that the formal
language people ever went as far as dealing with things like the Halting
Problem, but they were probably aware of it.

Re: WV Quine and English Usage

<ta12mn$3m8p7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138808&group=alt.usage.english#138808

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 22:10:30 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 10:10 UTC

On 5/07/2022 1:25 p.m., henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 2:48:29 PM UTC-7, benl...@ihug.co.nz wrote:
>> On 5/07/2022 2:35 a.m., henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> https://playback.fm/born-in-city/akron-oh
>>>
>>> The Most Famous Person Born in Akron, Ohio is Willard Van Orman Quine.
>>>
>>> FAME METER (40/100)
>>>

>>> ------- what does he mean to the average person ?
>>>
>>> or to someone who likes books, reading, ... ?
>>>
>>> or to someone who 's interested in English- Usage ?
>>>
>> Nothing.
>> He was a philosopher and logician.
>> To people interested in "confirmation holism and ontological relativity"
>> he was probably quite important.
>> He had quite a bit to say about language, so linguists were aware of
>> him. But about English- Usage? Nothing.
>> On the other hand...
>> A computer program whose output is its own source code is called a
>> "quine" after Quine. This usage was introduced by Douglas Hofstadter in
>> his 1979 book, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid.
>> Quine is a recurring character in the webcomic "Existential Comics".
>> Quine was selected for inclusion in the Committee for Skeptical
>> Inquiry's "Pantheon of Skeptics", which celebrates contributors to the
>> cause of scientific skepticism.
>> Quine was mentioned in the Peacock series A.P. Bio.
>> (Thanks Wiki)
>

> https://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/29/arts/w-v-quine-philosopher-who-analyzed-language-and-reality-dies-at-92.html
>

> ----------- the average person may have never heard of him but
>
> still Quine may have influenced the average person's interest in language
> (e.g. AUE)
> (e.g. how Janus-words are so popular and talked-about)

I doubt it.

> and what kind of humor is enjoyed by the masses ------- e.g. the TV show Big Bang Theory
>
> https://xkcd.com/785/ ------- the 3rd panel is M.C. Quine
(That seems to be an allusion to the Hofstadter coinage mentioned above.)

You have a very strange concept of "the masses".

Re: WV Quine and English Usage

<450b1686b00b37eaad0651b2332961b1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=204785&group=alt.usage.english#204785

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 06:14:23 +0000
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 06:14 UTC

henh...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 2:48:29 PM UTC-7, benl...@ihug.co.nz wrote:
>> On 5/07/2022 2:35 a.m., henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>> >
>> > https://playback.fm/born-in-city/akron-oh
>> >
>> > The Most Famous Person Born in Akron, Ohio is Willard Van Orman Quine.
>> >
>> > FAME METER (40/100)
>> >

>> > ------- what does he mean to the average person ?
>> >
>> > or to someone who likes books, reading, ... ?
>> >
>> > or to someone who 's interested in English- Usage ?
>> >

>> Nothing.
>> He was a philosopher and logician.
>> To people interested in "confirmation holism and ontological relativity"
>> he was probably quite important.
>> He had quite a bit to say about language, so linguists were aware of
>> him. But about English- Usage? Nothing.
>> On the other hand...
>> A computer program whose output is its own source code is called a
>> "quine" after Quine. This usage was introduced by Douglas Hofstadter in
>> his 1979 book, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid.
>> Quine is a recurring character in the webcomic "Existential Comics".
>> Quine was selected for inclusion in the Committee for Skeptical
>> Inquiry's "Pantheon of Skeptics", which celebrates contributors to the
>> cause of scientific skepticism.
>> Quine was mentioned in the Peacock series A.P. Bio.
>> (Thanks Wiki)

> https://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/29/arts/w-v-quine-philosopher-who-analyzed-language-and-reality-dies-at-92.html

> ----------- the average person may have never heard of him but

> still Quine may have influenced the average person's interest in language
> (e.g. AUE)
> (e.g. how Janus-words are so popular and talked-about)

> and what kind of humor is enjoyed by the masses ------- e.g. the TV show Big Bang Theory

> https://xkcd.com/785/ ------- the 3rd panel is M.C. Quine

https://xkcd.com/1306/

what does SIGIL mean?