She blinded me with science!

interests / soc.culture.china / Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Was Playing Out in Gaza?

SubjectAuthor
* Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Wasltlee1
`* Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Wasbmoore
 +* Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Wasltlee1
 |`* Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Wasbmoore
 | `* Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Wasltlee1
 |  `- Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Wasbmoore
 `- A Prayer, Chant and Protest Song: Faith Communities Must Resist Their Extremistsltlee1

1
Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Was Playing Out in Gaza?

<3532d387-c2a7-482d-8df1-cb00ecd486bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13815&group=soc.culture.china#13815

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 11:28:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Was
Playing Out in Gaza?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 18:28 UTC

"The horrendous Hamas incursion into Israel which targeted civilians, including women, children and the elderly, will remain in global consciousness as a crime against humanity.

What swiftly followed those brutal assaults of October 7 was the unremitting aerial bombing of Gaza, killing thousands of unarmed people, including women, children and the elderly, as part of Israel’s drive to seek “justice”.

There is a back story here of colonisation, forced expulsion of Palestinians and the capture of their land. It has remained a blot on the West which had sought to assuage its guilt over the Nazi atrocities perpetrated on the Jews by making the Palestinians, who had no role in the Holocaust, pay the greatest price for it through the establishment of the Jewish state of Israel on Palestinian soil. Over time, Israel evolved into a settler colonial apartheid state, capturing more and more of Palestinian land through untold, militarised repression until it has become what it is today: a nuclear power with one of the world’s most powerful armies, enabled by the steady drip of $3.8 billion from the US pouring in as military aid every year.

There was a time when this back story was known in India; there was a time when the Indian political establishment extended solidarity to the Palestinian cause. That time has long passed and nothing indicated this better than India having abstained from a UNGA resolution on October 27, calling for an immediate humanitarian truce in Gaza. Remember, that three-day visit to Israel that Narendra Modi made in 2017 – the first Indian prime minister to do so? And how he followed it up with a three-hour visit to Ramallah the next year? The brevity of the latter visit and the statement which emanated from it signalled to the world that the careful balance India had hitherto maintained in its relations between the two entities had ended. Today, India is one of Israel’s most crucial trading partners. More relevant, it is the largest purchaser of Israel-made arms, apart from surveillance technology (‘Import Data Shows IB Bought Hardware From Israel Matching Kit Used for Pegasus, OCCRP Says’, The Wire, October 20, 2022). It has also emerged as the Indian establishment’s most favoured model for military and police deployment."

https://thewire.in/media/backstory-what-was-the-indian-media-doing-when-a-genocide-was-playing-out-in-gaza

Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Was Playing Out in Gaza?

<528e7faa-5f0c-4330-b3f0-e38193ebba9en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13818&group=soc.culture.china#13818

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:28:58 -0700 (PDT)
Playing Out in Gaza?
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 23:28 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 11:29:01 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> "The horrendous Hamas incursion into Israel which targeted civilians, including women, children and the elderly, will remain in global consciousness as a crime against humanity.
>
> What swiftly followed those brutal assaults of October 7 was the unremitting aerial bombing of Gaza, killing thousands of unarmed people, including women, children and the elderly, as part of Israel’s drive to seek “justice”.
>
> There is a back story here of colonisation, forced expulsion of Palestinians and the capture of their land. It has remained a blot on the West which had sought to assuage its guilt over the Nazi atrocities perpetrated on the Jews by making the Palestinians, who had no role in the Holocaust, pay the greatest price for it through the establishment of the Jewish state of Israel on Palestinian soil. Over time, Israel evolved into a settler colonial apartheid state, capturing more and more of Palestinian land through untold, militarised repression until it has become what it is today: a nuclear power with one of the world’s most powerful armies, enabled by the steady drip of $3.8 billion from the US pouring in as military aid every year.
>
> There was a time when this back story was known in India; there was a time when the Indian political establishment extended solidarity to the Palestinian cause. That time has long passed and nothing indicated this better than India having abstained from a UNGA resolution on October 27, calling for an immediate humanitarian truce in Gaza. Remember, that three-day visit to Israel that Narendra Modi made in 2017 – the first Indian prime minister to do so? And how he followed it up with a three-hour visit to Ramallah the next year? The brevity of the latter visit and the statement which emanated from it signalled to the world that the careful balance India had hitherto maintained in its relations between the two entities had ended. Today, India is one of Israel’s most crucial trading partners. More relevant, it is the largest purchaser of Israel-made arms, apart from surveillance technology (‘Import Data Shows IB Bought Hardware From Israel Matching Kit Used for Pegasus, OCCRP Says’, The Wire, October 20, 2022). It has also emerged as the Indian establishment’s most favoured model for military and police deployment."
>
> https://thewire.in/media/backstory-what-was-the-indian-media-doing-when-a-genocide-was-playing-out-in-gaza

The slaughter in Gaza is horrendous. But why is the PRC state-controlled media so silent about the slaughter by Hamas in Israel?

To make noise about one while ignoring the other is not logical.

Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Was Playing Out in Gaza?

<c182efbd-2993-4889-976b-c61eec3293b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13825&group=soc.culture.china#13825

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 06:32:37 -0700 (PDT)
Playing Out in Gaza?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 13:32 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 11:28:59 PM UTC, bmoore wrote:
> On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 11:29:01 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> > "The horrendous Hamas incursion into Israel which targeted civilians, including women, children and the elderly, will remain in global consciousness as a crime against humanity.
> >
> > What swiftly followed those brutal assaults of October 7 was the unremitting aerial bombing of Gaza, killing thousands of unarmed people, including women, children and the elderly, as part of Israel’s drive to seek “justice”.
> >
> > There is a back story here of colonisation, forced expulsion of Palestinians and the capture of their land. It has remained a blot on the West which had sought to assuage its guilt over the Nazi atrocities perpetrated on the Jews by making the Palestinians, who had no role in the Holocaust, pay the greatest price for it through the establishment of the Jewish state of Israel on Palestinian soil. Over time, Israel evolved into a settler colonial apartheid state, capturing more and more of Palestinian land through untold, militarised repression until it has become what it is today: a nuclear power with one of the world’s most powerful armies, enabled by the steady drip of $3.8 billion from the US pouring in as military aid every year.
> >
> > There was a time when this back story was known in India; there was a time when the Indian political establishment extended solidarity to the Palestinian cause. That time has long passed and nothing indicated this better than India having abstained from a UNGA resolution on October 27, calling for an immediate humanitarian truce in Gaza. Remember, that three-day visit to Israel that Narendra Modi made in 2017 – the first Indian prime minister to do so? And how he followed it up with a three-hour visit to Ramallah the next year? The brevity of the latter visit and the statement which emanated from it signalled to the world that the careful balance India had hitherto maintained in its relations between the two entities had ended. Today, India is one of Israel’s most crucial trading partners. More relevant, it is the largest purchaser of Israel-made arms, apart from surveillance technology (‘Import Data Shows IB Bought Hardware From Israel Matching Kit Used for Pegasus, OCCRP Says’, The Wire, October 20, 2022). It has also emerged as the Indian establishment’s most favoured model for military and police deployment."
> >
> > https://thewire.in/media/backstory-what-was-the-indian-media-doing-when-a-genocide-was-playing-out-in-gaza
> The slaughter in Gaza is horrendous. But why is the PRC state-controlled media so silent about the slaughter by Hamas in Israel?
>
> To make noise about one while ignoring the other is not logical.

If you want to discuss official Chinese media, feel free to start a new thread.
As is, I don't know what you are talking about. This thread is about changes of Indian media written by Pamela Philipose
who is "an Indian journalist and researcher, who is a senior fellow at the Indian Council of Social Science Research."

A Prayer, Chant and Protest Song: Faith Communities Must Resist Their Extremists

<9d4ca4db-3ca2-4f94-89de-5b703c80397cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13826&group=soc.culture.china#13826

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 06:39:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A Prayer, Chant and Protest Song: Faith Communities Must Resist Their Extremists
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 13:39 UTC

"It has been 23 days since the Hamas attack that took at least 1300 Jewish lives, and since then, more than 8,000 Palestinian lives have been taken by Israeli bombs. Half of them are children. The United States, along with many world powers, have given Israel their blessing to “defend” themselves against Hamas by bombing Palestinian civilians indiscriminately.

In fact, the blessing of the US has come in the form of over $ 3.3 billion a year ($ 370 billion dollars since 1948). The US is now proposing to send $ 14.3 billion more in military aid.

I am a Hindu American living in New York City, and my husband Stephan Shaw is a Jewish American. We are active in Jewish Voice for Peace and Hindus for Human Rights, both activating faith communities to take on their respective extremists. While we see an increasing alignment of white nationalism in the United States, Zionism in Israel, and Hindutva in the Indian context, my husband and I are part of inclusive movements of people working together in diverse coalitions for justice for all.

During the past 24 hours, more than 1,000 Palestinians were killed by Israeli bombs, a form of collective punishment that is illegal under international law. This weekend, on top of the denial of food, medicine and water to Gaza, power and internet were shut down, and the bombing of Gaza has continued in the pitch dark. Furthermore, the Israeli ground offensive has begun. But this weekend, we have also had massive protests all around the world calling for a ceasefire, including in cities around India.
No person of conscience or faith can accept the carpet bombing of children, babies, innocent civilians. No person of conscience can accept communal punishment. My husband and I unequivocally condemn the Hamas terrorist attack that occurred on October 7th and refuse to respond to an atrocity with another atrocity even larger.

One of the chants that echoed through Grand Central Station was, “Never again for anyone, never again is now.” This, for us, is the most basic lesson of the Holocaust that many Jews seem to have forgotten."

https://thewire.in/world/palestine-israel-zionism-hindutva

Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Was Playing Out in Gaza?

<f68b8f67-f853-48d4-a183-b167566d9c19n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13830&group=soc.culture.china#13830

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 10:40:22 -0700 (PDT)
Playing Out in Gaza?
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:40 UTC

On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 6:32:39 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > https://thewire.in/media/backstory-what-was-the-indian-media-doing-when-a-genocide-was-playing-out-in-gaza
> > The slaughter in Gaza is horrendous. But why is the PRC state-controlled media so silent about the slaughter by Hamas in Israel?
> >
> > To make noise about one while ignoring the other is not logical.
> If you want to discuss official Chinese media, feel free to start a new thread.
> As is, I don't know what you are talking about. This thread is about changes of Indian media written by Pamela Philipose
> who is "an Indian journalist and researcher, who is a senior fellow at the Indian Council of Social Science Research."

Does it make sense to criticize one side but not the other regarding this Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Was Playing Out in Gaza?

<1bd2dc56-5bf1-4d73-88a9-d2d4c2392a28n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13831&group=soc.culture.china#13831

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:31:08 -0700 (PDT)
Playing Out in Gaza?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:31 UTC

On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 5:40:24 PM UTC, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 6:32:39 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > The slaughter in Gaza is horrendous. But why is the PRC state-controlled media so silent about the slaughter by Hamas in Israel?
> > >
> > > To make noise about one while ignoring the other is not logical.
> > If you want to discuss official Chinese media, feel free to start a new thread.
> > As is, I don't know what you are talking about. This thread is about changes of Indian media written by Pamela Philipose
> > who is "an Indian journalist and researcher, who is a senior fellow at the Indian Council of Social Science Research."
> Does it make sense to criticize one side but not the other regarding this Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

Are you sure you are not talking about the current government of Israel?

Re: Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Was Playing Out in Gaza?

<2e18029d-ac37-4c7d-b42c-2e1c081369cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13835&group=soc.culture.china#13835

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:07:10 -0700 (PDT)
Playing Out in Gaza?
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 22:07 UTC

On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 11:31:11 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 5:40:24 PM UTC, bmoore wrote:

> > > If you want to discuss official Chinese media, feel free to start a new thread.
> > > As is, I don't know what you are talking about. This thread is about changes of Indian media written by Pamela Philipose
> > > who is "an Indian journalist and researcher, who is a senior fellow at the Indian Council of Social Science Research."
> > Does it make sense to criticize one side but not the other regarding this Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
> Are you sure you are not talking about the current government of Israel?

I am talking about both the Israeli government and Hamas. Both are awful. But some people only criticize one side, though both are murderers.

interests / soc.culture.china / Backstory: What Was the Indian Media Doing When a Genocide Was Playing Out in Gaza?