It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. -- Benjamin Disraeli

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: George Elder 1921-2022

SubjectAuthor
* George Elder 1921-2022Louis Epstein
`* Re: George Elder 1921-2022David Carson
 `* Re: George Elder 1921-2022A Friend
  `* Re: George Elder 1921-2022David Carson
   `* Re: George Elder 1921-2022Louis Epstein
    +- Re: George Elder 1921-2022David Carson
    `* Re: George Elder 1921-2022A Friend
     `* Re: George Elder 1921-2022Louis Epstein
      `- Re: George Elder 1921-2022David Carson

1
George Elder 1921-2022

<tafv0p$qeq$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13319&group=alt.obituaries#13319

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: George Elder 1921-2022
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 01:39:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 01:39 UTC

As David Carson and Applejack945 are no longer ministering to a.o,
it falls to me to announce hereon the death of the Oldest Living
Major Leaguer of nine months's standing,George R. Elder Jr.
of the 1949 Saint Louis Browns.

Born March 10th 1921,died July 7th 2022.

-=-=-

Re: George Elder 1921-2022

<tahjqn$c8p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13328&group=alt.obituaries#13328

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: George Elder 1921-2022
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 11:40:53 -0500
 by: David Carson - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 16:40 UTC

On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 01:39:37 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com>
wrote:

>As David Carson and Applejack945 are no longer ministering to a.o,
>it falls to me to announce hereon the death of the Oldest Living
>Major Leaguer of nine months's standing,George R. Elder Jr.
>of the 1949 Saint Louis Browns.
>
>Born March 10th 1921,died July 7th 2022.

He became the oldest living major leaguer upon the death of Eddie Robinson
on 4 October 2021. He held that distinction for 276 days. The new OLML is
Art Schallock, born 25 April 1924.

At 101 years, 119 days, Elder was the 6th-oldest major leaguer of all
time.

David Carson
--
"Death is a part of baseball."
"Oh, yeah ... It's the main part."

Re: George Elder 1921-2022

<110720221429052493%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13331&group=alt.obituaries#13331

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 14:29:05 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 18:29 UTC

In article <tahjqn$c8p$1@gioia.aioe.org>, David Carson
<davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 01:39:37 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com>
> wrote:
>
> >As David Carson and Applejack945 are no longer ministering to a.o,
> >it falls to me to announce hereon the death of the Oldest Living
> >Major Leaguer of nine months's standing,George R. Elder Jr.
> >of the 1949 Saint Louis Browns.
> >
> >Born March 10th 1921,died July 7th 2022.
>
> He became the oldest living major leaguer upon the death of Eddie Robinson
> on 4 October 2021. He held that distinction for 276 days. The new OLML is
> Art Schallock, born 25 April 1924.
>
> At 101 years, 119 days, Elder was the 6th-oldest major leaguer of all
> time.
>
> David Carson

Nice to see you here, especially about baseball.

Re: George Elder 1921-2022

<1g1pchp8f3nli4flgjk4q9nf0i32gan1ob@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13332&group=alt.obituaries#13332

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 15:34:25 -0500
 by: David Carson - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 20:34 UTC

On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 14:29:05 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>Nice to see you here, especially about baseball.

Thank you. I have not stopped reading this group during my absence
from posting. I foresee posting a bit more again.

I have watched very little baseball since Houston switched leagues in
2013. Just when I was starting to get back into it, it was revealed
that the Astros cheated to win the World Series. None of the players
were punished, and several of them are still on the team today. Altuve
is still a beloved fan favorite and star of many local TV commercials.
Blech.

Re: George Elder 1921-2022

<taigh8$dhe$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13333&group=alt.obituaries#13333

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 00:50:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 00:50 UTC

David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 14:29:05 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
>>Nice to see you here, especially about baseball.
>
> Thank you. I have not stopped reading this group during my absence
> from posting. I foresee posting a bit more again.
>
> I have watched very little baseball since Houston switched leagues in
> 2013. Just when I was starting to get back into it, it was revealed
> that the Astros cheated to win the World Series. None of the players
> were punished, and several of them are still on the team today. Altuve
> is still a beloved fan favorite and star of many local TV commercials.
> Blech.

(I continue to regard signals as cheating and figuring them out
as commendable counterintelligence work).

-=-=-

Re: George Elder 1921-2022

<taijv4$t4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13335&group=alt.obituaries#13335

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 20:49:22 -0500
 by: David Carson - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 01:49 UTC

On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 00:50:48 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com>
wrote:

>David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
>> I have watched very little baseball since Houston switched leagues in
>> 2013. Just when I was starting to get back into it, it was revealed
>> that the Astros cheated to win the World Series. None of the players
>> were punished, and several of them are still on the team today. Altuve
>> is still a beloved fan favorite and star of many local TV commercials.
>> Blech.
>>

>(I continue to regard signals as cheating and figuring them out
>as commendable counterintelligence work).

Whatever. Using technology to read signals is against the rules all
players agree to abide by in their contracts. Among other reasons, it
gives the home team an unfair technical advantage, because it can embed
tech into the playing field and stadium. This is what the Astros did in
2017. There's nothing commendable about it.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: George Elder 1921-2022

<110720222215285089%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13336&group=alt.obituaries#13336

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 22:15:28 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 02:15 UTC

In article <taigh8$dhe$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<le@top.put.com> wrote:

> David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 14:29:05 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Nice to see you here, especially about baseball.
> >
> > Thank you. I have not stopped reading this group during my absence
> > from posting. I foresee posting a bit more again.
> >
> > I have watched very little baseball since Houston switched leagues in
> > 2013. Just when I was starting to get back into it, it was revealed
> > that the Astros cheated to win the World Series. None of the players
> > were punished, and several of them are still on the team today. Altuve
> > is still a beloved fan favorite and star of many local TV commercials.
> > Blech.
> >

> (I continue to regard signals as cheating and figuring them out
> as commendable counterintelligence work).

How are signals "cheating"?

Re: George Elder 1921-2022

<tats0e$20m$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13374&group=alt.obituaries#13374

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 08:14:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 08:14 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <taigh8$dhe$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
> <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>
>> David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:

>> > Thank you. I have not stopped reading this group during my absence
>> > from posting. I foresee posting a bit more again.
>> >
>> > I have watched very little baseball since Houston switched leagues in
>> > 2013. Just when I was starting to get back into it, it was revealed
>> > that the Astros cheated to win the World Series. None of the players
>> > were punished, and several of them are still on the team today. Altuve
>> > is still a beloved fan favorite and star of many local TV commercials.
>> > Blech.
>> >

>> (I continue to regard signals as cheating and figuring them out
>> as commendable counterintelligence work).
>

> How are signals "cheating"?

The batter and catcher should be equally informed about the pitch,
or the batter is at an unfair disadvantage dealing with it.

-=-=-

Re: George Elder 1921-2022

<tbot7c$f0b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13504&group=alt.obituaries#13504

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 09:20:24 -0500
 by: David Carson - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 14:20 UTC

On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 08:14:06 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com>
wrote:

>The batter and catcher should be equally informed about the pitch,
>or the batter is at an unfair disadvantage dealing with it.

The catcher's superior foreknowledge of the pitch has no effect on what
the batter is able to do with it.

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: George Elder 1921-2022