Honesty pays, but it doesn't seem to pay enough to suit some people. -- F. M. Hubbard

interests / alt.usage.english / [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

SubjectAuthor
* [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?Stefan Ram
+* Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?CDB
|+* Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?Janet
||+* Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?Madhu
|||`- Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?Ken Blake
||`* Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?Silvano
|| `* Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?Dave S
||  `- Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?Peter T. Daniels
|`- Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?Peter T. Daniels
+- Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?Stefan Ram
`- Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?lar3ryca

1
[delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<How-20220531152244@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=133887&group=alt.usage.english#133887

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?
Date: 31 May 2022 14:42:17 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Tue, 31 May 2022 14:42 UTC

There is this video of this talk

Deploying the Networking TS
Robert Leahy
Cppcon 2021

. Just jump anywhere into the middle of the video!

You see two chest muscles delivering flawless English prose.
Every sentence as if written in a book, no grammar errors,
no "uh"s, no smacking, no slips of the tongue, no delays,
never touches his face, does not drink from cheap plastic
bottles, uses arms and hands only to support his speech,
looks at the audience nearly all the time.

I can't remember having seen something like this!

Yet he does not seem to read his speech from somewhere. Has
he learned every sentence of his 50-minute talk by heart?

He very carefully slows down and lowers the voice at the end
of most sentences. You can hear a bit of uptalk only at the
end when he answers questions.

Most probable explanation to me: He is highly intelligent
and therefore simply able to speak spontaneously in this way.
Or is he some kind of Android?

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<t76da6$kbv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134010&group=alt.usage.english#134010

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 20:53:23 -0400
 by: CDB - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 00:53 UTC

On 5/31/2022 10:42 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> There is this video of this talk

> Deploying the Networking TS Robert Leahy Cppcon 2021

> . Just jump anywhere into the middle of the video!

> You see two chest muscles delivering flawless English prose. Every
> sentence as if written in a book, no grammar errors, no "uh"s, no
> smacking, no slips of the tongue, no delays, never touches his face,
> does not drink from cheap plastic bottles, uses arms and hands only
> to support his speech, looks at the audience nearly all the time.
>
> I can't remember having seen something like this!

> Yet he does not seem to read his speech from somewhere. Has he
> learned every sentence of his 50-minute talk by heart?

> He very carefully slows down and lowers the voice at the end of most
> sentences. You can hear a bit of uptalk only at the end when he
> answers questions.

> Most probable explanation to me: He is highly intelligent and
> therefore simply able to speak spontaneously in this way. Or is he
> some kind of Android?

If you don't get many answers to this, it might be because you didn't
post an URL.

I confess that I am curious to know what you mean by "see two chest
muscles delivering flawless English prose". Flexing in Morse code?

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<MPG.3d0150468c2414e19896f9@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134067&group=alt.usage.english#134067

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 11:31:09 +0100
 by: Janet - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 10:31 UTC

In article <t76da6$kbv$1@gioia.aioe.org>, bellemarecd@gmail.com says...

> If you don't get many answers to this, it might be because you didn't
> post an URL.

What a surprise.

I suspect stefan, hongi, navi and the eternal job applicant, are one
persistent attention-seeker subtly trolling aue.

What they all have in common, is asking for assistance, politely
thanking the group, then either argue with the helpful advice or
studiously ignore it. Over and over.

Praps 'arrison 'as reached puberty at last.

Janet

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<139f73ff-8f3b-4b83-934f-e2a88ff0e956n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134114&group=alt.usage.english#134114

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 07:18:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 14:18 UTC

On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 8:53:30 PM UTC-4, CDB wrote:
> On 5/31/2022 10:42 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:

> > There is this video of this talk
> > Deploying the Networking TS Robert Leahy Cppcon 2021
> > . Just jump anywhere into the middle of the video!

What video would that be?

In fact copy-pasting the line beginning "Deploying" into Google
turns up a video that doesn't in the slightest resemble Stefan's
description below. But see my paragraph beneath.
> > You see two chest muscles delivering flawless English prose. Every
> > sentence as if written in a book, no grammar errors, no "uh"s, no
> > smacking, no slips of the tongue, no delays, never touches his face,
> > does not drink from cheap plastic bottles, uses arms and hands only
> > to support his speech, looks at the audience nearly all the time.
> > I can't remember having seen something like this!
> > Yet he does not seem to read his speech from somewhere. Has he
> > learned every sentence of his 50-minute talk by heart?
> > He very carefully slows down and lowers the voice at the end of most
> > sentences. You can hear a bit of uptalk only at the end when he
> > answers questions.
> > Most probable explanation to me: He is highly intelligent and
> > therefore simply able to speak spontaneously in this way. Or is he
> > some kind of Android?

If he were "highly intelligent," he would understand that oral communication
doesn't work that way,
> If you don't get many answers to this, it might be because you didn't
> post an URL.
>
> I confess that I am curious to know what you mean by "see two chest
> muscles delivering flawless English prose". Flexing in Morse code?

Walter LaFeber was an American History professor at Cornell 50+ years
ago who was famous for lecturing exactly like that (except the chest muscles
part). American History majors would take their visiting parents to be
awed. I went once (at the suggestion of Dean Fred Kahn) and heard a
boring lecture that sounded exactly like he was reading from a book
(when giving a quote he took out an index card and read from it) and
ended precisely on the dot of the end of the allotted time, and there was
applause.

This doesn't capture the affect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_LaFeber#Teaching

(There are just two videos on YouTube, both from the very end of his
career, neither of them showing his class lecturing style.)

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<m3k0a0f7yg.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134192&group=alt.usage.english#134192

From: enom...@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 01:54:23 +0530
sha1:sFBIGmw59oX5Syf/GaYHNMa7W2I=
 by: Madhu - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 20:24 UTC

* Janet <MPG.3d0150468c2414e19896f9 @news.individual.net> :
Wrote on Wed, 1 Jun 2022 11:31:09 +0100:
> What they all have in common, is asking for assistance, politely
> thanking the group, then either argue with the helpful advice or
> studiously ignore it. Over and over.

when was stefan ever polite? squeamish about strong or adult language
yes, but a cut and dried berliner, polite?

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<cmjf9hd7p5324vncpp8dnlq1slij2dfugd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134196&group=alt.usage.english#134196

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 13:41:16 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 20:41 UTC

On Thu, 02 Jun 2022 01:54:23 +0530, Madhu <enometh@meer.net> wrote:

>* Janet <MPG.3d0150468c2414e19896f9 @news.individual.net> :
>Wrote on Wed, 1 Jun 2022 11:31:09 +0100:
>> What they all have in common, is asking for assistance, politely
>> thanking the group, then either argue with the helpful advice or
>> studiously ignore it. Over and over.
>
>when was stefan ever polite? squeamish about strong or adult language
>yes, but a cut and dried berliner, polite?

A cut and dried jelly doughnut?

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<explanation-20220601233800@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134221&group=alt.usage.english#134221

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 1 Jun 2022 22:38:25 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 22:38 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:
>Most probable explanation to me: He is highly intelligent
>and therefore simply able to speak spontaneously in this way.
>Or is he some kind of Android?

No, he's Canadian!

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<t79b61$jrq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134270&group=alt.usage.english#134270

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 21:35:27 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 03:35 UTC

On 2022-05-31 08:42, Stefan Ram wrote:
> There is this video of this talk
>
> Deploying the Networking TS
> Robert Leahy
> Cppcon 2021
>
> . Just jump anywhere into the middle of the video!
>
> You see two chest muscles delivering flawless English prose.
> Every sentence as if written in a book, no grammar errors,
> no "uh"s, no smacking, no slips of the tongue, no delays,
> never touches his face, does not drink from cheap plastic
> bottles, uses arms and hands only to support his speech,
> looks at the audience nearly all the time.
>
> I can't remember having seen something like this!
>
> Yet he does not seem to read his speech from somewhere. Has
> he learned every sentence of his 50-minute talk by heart?
>
> He very carefully slows down and lowers the voice at the end
> of most sentences. You can hear a bit of uptalk only at the
> end when he answers questions.
>
> Most probable explanation to me: He is highly intelligent
> and therefore simply able to speak spontaneously in this way.
> Or is he some kind of Android?

Well, I found the video in question. I have no idea why you didn't post
the URL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6VDymDAr0

One thing I noticed was the use of the word 'appertains'. I would have
used 'pertains', but I don't know why I should use either one.

You can find this starting at 00:56.

--
Identifying a UFO turns it into an FO. After it lands it becomes an O.

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<t7ahku$u2d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134339&group=alt.usage.english#134339

From: Silv...@noncisonopernessuno.it (Silvano)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:31:59 +0200
 by: Silvano - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:31 UTC

Janet hat am 01.06.2022 um 12:31 geschrieben:
> In article <t76da6$kbv$1@gioia.aioe.org>, bellemarecd@gmail.com says...
>
>> If you don't get many answers to this, it might be because you didn't
>> post an URL.
>
> What a surprise.
>
> I suspect stefan, hongi, navi and the eternal job applicant, are one
> persistent attention-seeker subtly trolling aue.

Wrong, at least as far as Stefan is concerned. Quinn and I can testify
that he does the same in German groups, where no one has ever seen
hongi, navi and the eternal job applicant.

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<f161ca67-c4a1-4c93-860d-a036b5d96751n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134425&group=alt.usage.english#134425

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 17:14:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: snidely....@gmail.com (Dave S)
 by: Dave S - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 00:14 UTC

On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 7:32:03 AM UTC-7, Silvano wrote:
> Janet hat am 01.06.2022 um 12:31 geschrieben:
> > In article <t76da6$kbv$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, belle...@gmail.com says...
> >
> >> If you don't get many answers to this, it might be because you didn't
> >> post an URL.
> >
> > What a surprise.
> >
> > I suspect stefan, hongi, navi and the eternal job applicant, are one
> > persistent attention-seeker subtly trolling aue.
> Wrong, at least as far as Stefan is concerned. Quinn and I can testify
> that he does the same in German groups, where no one has ever seen
> hongi, navi and the eternal job applicant.

And none of those have a similar posting style.

And at least Stefan doesn't argue solely on the basis of ESL classes, and we do know his favorite pronunciation reference.

/dps

Re: [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?

<6902f979-8b68-46fc-85f7-8c2aba286468n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134447&group=alt.usage.english#134447

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 19:27:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 02:27 UTC

On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 8:14:16 PM UTC-4, snide...@gmail.com wrote:

> And at least Stefan doesn't argue solely on the basis of ESL classes, and we do know his favorite pronunciation reference.

"The World Wide Web."

interests / alt.usage.english / [delivery of speeches]How does he do this?