Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 11:36:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Music can be reconstructed from human auditory cortex activity using
nonlinear decoding models
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 18:36 UTC

"Abstract

Music is core to human experience, yet the precise neural dynamics underlying music perception remain unknown. We analyzed a unique intracranial electroencephalography (iEEG) dataset of 29 patients who listened to a Pink Floyd song and applied a stimulus reconstruction approach previously used in the speech domain. We successfully reconstructed a recognizable song from direct neural recordings and quantified the impact of different factors on decoding accuracy. Combining encoding and decoding analyses, we found a right-hemisphere dominance for music perception with a primary role of the superior temporal gyrus (STG), evidenced a new STG subregion tuned to musical rhythm, and defined an anterior–posterior STG organization exhibiting sustained and onset responses to musical elements. Our findings show the feasibility of applying predictive modeling on short datasets acquired in single patients, paving the way for adding musical elements to brain–computer interface (BCI) applications."

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.3002176

An important step in helping people who can't speak to express themselves. But it also rendered the much written memory download and retrieval somewhat closer to reality.

interests / soc.culture.china / Music can be reconstructed from human auditory cortex activity using nonlinear decoding models