You never go anywhere without your soul.

interests / alt.obituaries / OT: Dear Abby letter on dementia

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Dear Abby letter on dementiaLenona
`- Re: OT: Dear Abby letter on dementiaLouis Epstein

1
OT: Dear Abby letter on dementia

<6f3f8af6-07a3-46e9-88af-d80f596937b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13124&group=alt.obituaries#13124

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 06:54:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: OT: Dear Abby letter on dementia
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:54 UTC

The comments are fascinating - and potentially far more helpful than Abby's response.

https://www.uexpress.com/life/dearabby/2022/06/20

DEAR ABBY: I have had an older man as a roommate for two months now. He's very kind and intelligent. He also has dementia. I didn't realize it when he moved in. He's estranged from his family, although I know of a few people he does talk to on the phone.

As his condition worsens, so does his memory and his ability to understand simple explanations. I'm afraid that, as this continues, I'll be obligated to take care of him. I am not capable of doing it, nor do I desire to. I don't know how to handle this because I have asked him previously whom I should contact "in case of emergency" and got no reply. Help, please. -- UNEQUIPPED IN FLORIDA

Re: OT: Dear Abby letter on dementia

<tbakd3$5bv$4@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13434&group=alt.obituaries#13434

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: OT: Dear Abby letter on dementia
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 04:24:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 04:24 UTC

Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The comments are fascinating - and potentially far more helpful than Abby's response.
>
> https://www.uexpress.com/life/dearabby/2022/06/20
>
> DEAR ABBY: I have had an older man as a roommate for two months now. He's very kind and intelligent. He also has dementia. I didn't realize it when he moved in. He's estranged from his family, although I know of a few people he does talk to on the phone.
>
> As his condition worsens, so does his memory and his ability to understand simple explanations. I'm afraid that, as this continues, I'll be obligated to take care of him. I am not capable of doing it, nor do I desire to. I don't know how to handle this because I have asked him previously whom I should contact "in case of emergency" and got no reply. Help, please. -- UNEQUIPPED IN FLORIDA

I saw the headline and thought it might be about the original Dear Abby's
dementia...as I recall this became public knowledge when her sister died,
just as when Peter Graves died the condition of his brother James Arness
became public knowledge because of the impact on the possible response
to the sibling's death.

-=-=-

interests / alt.obituaries / OT: Dear Abby letter on dementia