What use is magic if it can't save a unicorn? -- Peter S. Beagle, "The Last Unicorn"

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

SubjectAuthor
* In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under wayltlee1
`* Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under waybmoore
 `* Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under wayltlee1
  `* Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under waybmoore
   `* Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under wayltlee1
    `* Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under waybmoore
     `* Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under wayltlee1
      `* Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under waybmoore
       `* Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under wayltlee1
        `- Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under waybmoore

1
In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<49014472-b864-49e0-8afd-4e5c02ee05b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13098&group=soc.culture.china#13098

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 06:39:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 13:39 UTC

"CALL IT, AS the Danes do, a luksusproblem, a luxury problem. Many citizens of Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden are fluent in English and often impress tourists with their command of the language. This aptitude has also prompted controversy, however, as universities have become excellent, international institutions offering courses taught mostly—or even entirely—in English.

Some citizens of the Netherlands and Nordic countries wonder what space will be left for their national languages if their flagship universities increasingly do not teach in it. Linguists call it “domain loss”.. The language does not die out, since new generations of children continue to be brought up with it, but speakers use it in fewer academic contexts.

In June Robbert Dijkgraaf, minister of education in the Netherlands, announced that at least two-thirds of teaching in undergraduate programmes would have to be in Dutch. University leaders took it badly. The head of the Eindhoven University of Technology has said that “for a number of courses we can’t even find professors who can speak Dutch,” citing artificial intelligence as an example. (The Dutch government subsequently fell, leaving the policy in limbo.) "

National languages and hence national identities would be the trouble spot.
AI is far from perfect instant translation. Hence the dream of EU as a unified political and cultural entity is far from realizing.

Could the world converge on one language?

Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<cc1de197-4aad-4b86-9ffe-5e583db80a38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13099&group=soc.culture.china#13099

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 07:57:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 14:57 UTC

On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 6:39:26 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> "CALL IT, AS the Danes do, a luksusproblem, a luxury problem. Many citizens of Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden are fluent in English and often impress tourists with their command of the language. This aptitude has also prompted controversy, however, as universities have become excellent, international institutions offering courses taught mostly—or even entirely—in English.
>
> Some citizens of the Netherlands and Nordic countries wonder what space will be left for their national languages if their flagship universities increasingly do not teach in it. Linguists call it “domain loss”. The language does not die out, since new generations of children continue to be brought up with it, but speakers use it in fewer academic contexts.
>
> In June Robbert Dijkgraaf, minister of education in the Netherlands, announced that at least two-thirds of teaching in undergraduate programmes would have to be in Dutch. University leaders took it badly. The head of the Eindhoven University of Technology has said that “for a number of courses we can’t even find professors who can speak Dutch,” citing artificial intelligence as an example. (The Dutch government subsequently fell, leaving the policy in limbo.) "

So the "backlash" is against the lack of use of the native language. It's disingenuous to call it "against English".

> National languages and hence national identities would be the trouble spot.
> AI is far from perfect instant translation. Hence the dream of EU as a unified political and cultural entity is far from realizing.

> Could the world converge on one language?

It's already converged.

Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<cdc6902b-6a3f-4c76-878b-e1a29e73131dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13100&group=soc.culture.china#13100

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 08:15:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 15:15 UTC

On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 10:57:59 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 6:39:26 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> > "CALL IT, AS the Danes do, a luksusproblem, a luxury problem. Many citizens of Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden are fluent in English and often impress tourists with their command of the language. This aptitude has also prompted controversy, however, as universities have become excellent, international institutions offering courses taught mostly—or even entirely—in English.
> >
> > Some citizens of the Netherlands and Nordic countries wonder what space will be left for their national languages if their flagship universities increasingly do not teach in it. Linguists call it “domain loss”. The language does not die out, since new generations of children continue to be brought up with it, but speakers use it in fewer academic contexts.
> >
> > In June Robbert Dijkgraaf, minister of education in the Netherlands, announced that at least two-thirds of teaching in undergraduate programmes would have to be in Dutch. University leaders took it badly. The head of the Eindhoven University of Technology has said that “for a number of courses we can’t even find professors who can speak Dutch,” citing artificial intelligence as an example. (The Dutch government subsequently fell, leaving the policy in limbo.) "
> So the "backlash" is against the lack of use of the native language. It's disingenuous to call it "against English".
> > National languages and hence national identities would be the trouble spot.
> > AI is far from perfect instant translation. Hence the dream of EU as a unified political and cultural entity is far from realizing.
>
> > Could the world converge on one language?
> It's already converged.

Obvious a split between the average people and the elites.
Elites are benefited by their knowledge of the English language. Many average people, in contrast,
experience the lost of culture and identity.

Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<417cc694-75bc-4552-b191-d104e536b292n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13101&group=soc.culture.china#13101

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 08:23:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 15:23 UTC

On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 8:15:17 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 10:57:59 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> > On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 6:39:26 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > "CALL IT, AS the Danes do, a luksusproblem, a luxury problem. Many citizens of Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden are fluent in English and often impress tourists with their command of the language. This aptitude has also prompted controversy, however, as universities have become excellent, international institutions offering courses taught mostly—or even entirely—in English.
> > >
> > > Some citizens of the Netherlands and Nordic countries wonder what space will be left for their national languages if their flagship universities increasingly do not teach in it. Linguists call it “domain loss”. The language does not die out, since new generations of children continue to be brought up with it, but speakers use it in fewer academic contexts.
> > >
> > > In June Robbert Dijkgraaf, minister of education in the Netherlands, announced that at least two-thirds of teaching in undergraduate programmes would have to be in Dutch. University leaders took it badly. The head of the Eindhoven University of Technology has said that “for a number of courses we can’t even find professors who can speak Dutch,” citing artificial intelligence as an example. (The Dutch government subsequently fell, leaving the policy in limbo.) "
> > So the "backlash" is against the lack of use of the native language. It's disingenuous to call it "against English".
> > > National languages and hence national identities would be the trouble spot.
> > > AI is far from perfect instant translation. Hence the dream of EU as a unified political and cultural entity is far from realizing.
> >
> > > Could the world converge on one language?
> > It's already converged.
> Obvious a split between the average people and the elites.
> Elites are benefited by their knowledge of the English language.

Nothing wrong with learning another language.

> Many average people, in contrast, experience the lost of culture and identity.

Evidence?

Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<acb5f85d-5e29-4f8a-98fc-18064cb17c7en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13102&group=soc.culture.china#13102

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:53:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 17:53 UTC

On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 8:15:17 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > So the "backlash" is against the lack of use of the native language. It's disingenuous to call it "against English".

> > > It's already converged.
> > Obvious a split between the average people and the elites.
> > Elites are benefited by their knowledge of the English language.
> Nothing wrong with learning another language.
> > Many average people, in contrast, experience the lost of culture and identity.
> Evidence?

Currently, “for a number of courses we can’t even find professors who can speak Dutch.”
What next?

Why white Americans don't want a brown America?

Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<0e42ee64-7760-4c42-bd15-f9a052afcec4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13103&group=soc.culture.china#13103

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 18:00:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 01:00 UTC

On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 10:53:36 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:

> > > Obvious a split between the average people and the elites.
> > > Elites are benefited by their knowledge of the English language.
> > Nothing wrong with learning another language.
> > > Many average people, in contrast, experience the lost of culture and identity.
> > Evidence?
> Currently, “for a number of courses we can’t even find professors who can speak Dutch.”
> What next?
>
> Why white Americans don't want a brown America?

What on earth are you talking about? It's quite unclear.

Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<0d08f00b-dde4-4534-bc55-fda346e16657n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13104&group=soc.culture.china#13104

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 03:10:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 10:10 UTC

On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 9:00:07 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 10:53:36 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > Nothing wrong with learning another language.
> > > Evidence?
> > Currently, “for a number of courses we can’t even find professors who can speak Dutch.”
> > What next?
> >
> > Why white Americans don't want a brown America?
> What on earth are you talking about? It's quite unclear.

Please specify what you don't understand or don't agree.

Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<ab8f4e7c-75ed-4c53-9402-318b1ccf75e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13107&group=soc.culture.china#13107

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 07:58:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 14:58 UTC

On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 3:10:35 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 9:00:07 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:

> > > Currently, “for a number of courses we can’t even find professors who can speak Dutch.”
> > > What next?
> > >
> > > Why white Americans don't want a brown America?
> > What on earth are you talking about? It's quite unclear.
> Please specify what you don't understand or don't agree.

What does lack of Dutch speakers have to do with white/brown Americans?

Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<2abf3348-ebf2-4976-9621-dd276f13715fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13108&group=soc.culture.china#13108

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 11:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 18:46 UTC

On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 10:58:56 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 3:10:35 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > What on earth are you talking about? It's quite unclear.
> > Please specify what you don't understand or don't agree.
> What does lack of Dutch speakers have to do with white/brown Americans?

Universal truth about human nature.
Culture based identity is universal. Language is the front and center of most cultures. Besides language,
ethnicity also loom large in cultural identity.

In Dutch, more than one third of courses were taught with non-Dutch, or foreign languages. Hence the
announcement that at least two-thirds of teaching in undergraduate programmes would have to be in
Dutch. Similarly White American do not want too many non-White. In the US, non-white population is
projected to become the majority. In response, many white Americans do not like the situation.

Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way

<62d72881-bf20-4d88-93ba-5c820524615dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13110&group=soc.culture.china#13110

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:25:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:25 UTC

On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 11:46:39 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 10:58:56 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:

> > > Please specify what you don't understand or don't agree.
> > What does lack of Dutch speakers have to do with white/brown Americans?
> Universal truth about human nature.
> Culture based identity is universal. Language is the front and center of most cultures. Besides language,
> ethnicity also loom large in cultural identity.
>
> In Dutch, more than one third of courses were taught with non-Dutch, or foreign languages. Hence the
> announcement that at least two-thirds of teaching in undergraduate programmes would have to be in
> Dutch. Similarly White American do not want too many non-White. In the US, non-white population is
> projected to become the majority. In response, many white Americans do not like the situation.

That's a stretch, comparing the two situations.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: In northern Europe, a backlash against English is under way