From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: [busurman] The word busurman keeps popping up everywhere
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 13:07:18 -0600
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 12 May 2022 19:07 UTC

This "busurman" word keeps popping up everywhere lately.

https://alluringcreations.co.za/wp/language-that-is-a-nightingale-words-of-a-president/
"'We protected the world from the Busurmans," the Cossack whispered."

As far as I can tell, it indicates a Muslim invader, originally the Ottoman
invaders, at least in the region near and around Ukraine.

Re: [busurman] The word busurman keeps popping up everywhere

<t5k710$ptd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130585&group=alt.usage.english#130585

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:59:22 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Thu, 12 May 2022 23:59 UTC

On 13/05/2022 7:07 a.m., Ken Blake wrote:
> This "busurman" word keeps popping up everywhere lately.
>
> https://alluringcreations.co.za/wp/language-that-is-a-nightingale-words-of-a-president/
>
> "'We protected the world from the Busurmans," the Cossack whispered."
>
> As far as I can tell, it indicates a Muslim invader, originally the Ottoman
> invaders, at least in the region near and around Ukraine.

This must be related to:
Persian musulmān, musalmān,
Turkish müslüman,
Arabic musulmān,
all meaning "Muslim", probably ultimately from Arabic musalmānī ‘convert
to Islam’.
Also widespread in European languages:
French musulman 'Muslim'
Spanish musulmán
English Mussulman ('now archaic and historical')

Re: [busurman] The word busurman keeps popping up everywhere

<t5k91r$9sv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130591&group=alt.usage.english#130591

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 18:34:26 -0600
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 13 May 2022 00:34 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 11:59:22 +1200, Ross Clark wrote:

>> As far as I can tell, it indicates a Muslim invader, originally the Ottoman
>> invaders, at least in the region near and around Ukraine.
>
> This must be related to:
> Persian musulman

Thanks for that probably connection to "mussulman", where a search
confirmed your hypothesis as to the etymology of busurman's genesis.

I'm not sure how to quote Google Books, but it's in "War and Peace"
https://books.google.com/books?id=YZgOAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA62

Page 62, footnote number 1.
"a busurman (Mussulman, unbeliever)"

It's apparently how Ukrainians distuinguish people by religion.
https://educalingo.com/en/dic-uk/busurmanskyy
"The whole world is Christian and Busurman (Chub., III, 1872, 412);"

It's in a line of this Songs of the Western Slavs collection.
https://romancingthegothic.com/2020/06/16/marko-yacubovich-alexander-pushkin/
"Three days I have carried Bursurman's Lead bullet under my heart."

Here is a discussion which verifies your astute observation.
http://masterrussian.net/f14/%D0%B1%D1%83%D1%81%D1%83%D1%80%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BC-11847/
"It's a dative plural from stranger, foreigner, usually who is not
christian (most likely muslim). The word is almost abusive, but since it's
old-fashioned, it could sound ironical, too. I find this word very funny"

Further supporting your enlightened premise that it's of Persian origin.
"The term Bursurman for Muslims in the old Russian annals was from the
language of Khwarazm in the Arabo-Persian script current until the Mongol
conquest of the Volga region in the 13th century."

Thanks for the adroit connection with "Musulman"!

interests / alt.usage.english / [busurman] The word busurman keeps popping up everywhere