Tell the truth or trump--but get the trick. -- Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar"

interests / alt.usage.english / study and research

SubjectAuthor
* study and researchhongy...@gmail.com
`* Re: study and researchPaul Wolff
 +* Re: study and researchPeter Moylan
 |`* Re: study and researchhongy...@gmail.com
 | `* Re: study and researchAthel Cornish-Bowden
 |  `- Re: study and researchSnidely
 +- Re: study and researchCDB
 `- Re: study and researchSnidely

1
study and research

<fb845908-0c1c-4953-b3ca-12663ca5853an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130239&group=alt.usage.english#130239

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 17:43:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: study and research
From: hongyi.z...@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Wed, 11 May 2022 00:43 UTC

See the following wording here [1]:

```
In a word, the package SpaceGroupIrep is a database and tool set for IRs of space group in BC convention, and it is very useful for both study and research.
```

I'm not sure if the wording "both study and research" is a good style.

[1] https://github.com/goodluck1982/SpaceGroupIrep#capabilities-of-spacegroupirep

Regards,
HZ

Re: study and research

<TGZQ$Qpp23eiFAA0@wolff.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130262&group=alt.usage.english#130262

From: bounc...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: study and research
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 10:11:05 +0100
 by: Paul Wolff - Wed, 11 May 2022 09:11 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022, at 17:43:46, hongy...@gmail.com posted:
>See the following wording here [1]:
>
>```
>In a word, the package SpaceGroupIrep is a database and tool set for
>IRs of space group in BC convention, and it is very useful for both
>study and research.
>```
>
>I'm not sure if the wording "both study and research" is a good style.
>
>[1]
>https://github.com/goodluck1982/SpaceGroupIrep#capabilities-of-spacegrou
>pirep

"A dictionary is useful for both study and research." That's a perfectly
acceptable use of the phrase.

On the other hand, the phrase "for IRs of space group in BC convention"
looks horrible.
--
Paul

Re: study and research

<t5g27v$f6e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130269&group=alt.usage.english#130269

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 20:13:17 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Wed, 11 May 2022 10:13 UTC

On 11/05/22 19:11, Paul Wolff wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2022, at 17:43:46, hongy...@gmail.com posted:
>> See the following wording here [1]:
>>
>> ```
>> In a word, the package SpaceGroupIrep is a database and tool set for
>> IRs of space group in BC convention, and it is very useful for both
>> study and research.
>> ```
>>
>> I'm not sure if the wording "both study and research" is a good style.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/goodluck1982/SpaceGroupIrep#capabilities-of-spacegrou
>> pirep
>>
> "A dictionary is useful for both study and research." That's a perfectly
> acceptable use of the phrase.
>
> On the other hand, the phrase "for IRs of space group in BC convention"
> looks horrible.

Yes, it needs to be spelled out: "For infra-reds of space group in
British Columbia convention".

Re: study and research

<t5g8sf$hbj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130288&group=alt.usage.english#130288

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 08:06:38 -0400
 by: CDB - Wed, 11 May 2022 12:06 UTC

On 5/11/2022 5:11 AM, Paul Wolff wrote:
> hongy...@gmail.com posted:

>> See the following wording here [1]:

>> ``` In a word, the package SpaceGroupIrep is a database and tool
>> set for IRs of space group in BC convention, and it is very useful
>> for both study and research. ```

>> I'm not sure if the wording "both study and research" is a good
>> style.

>> [1]
>> https://github.com/goodluck1982/SpaceGroupIrep#capabilities-of-spacegrou

pirep

> "A dictionary is useful for both study and research." That's a
> perfectly acceptable use of the phrase.

> On the other hand, the phrase "for IRs of space group in BC
> convention" looks horrible.

Or at least (to me) incomprehensible.

You might consider changing "in a word" to something like "briefly" or
"to sum up", since there are many more words than one in what follows.

Re: study and research

<mn.5c877e65600572f2.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130433&group=alt.usage.english#130433

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 19:19:29 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 12 May 2022 02:19 UTC

Watch this space, where Paul Wolff advised that...
> On Tue, 10 May 2022, at 17:43:46, hongy...@gmail.com posted:
>>See the following wording here [1]:
>>
>>```
>>In a word, the package SpaceGroupIrep is a database and tool set for IRs of
>> space group in BC convention, and it is very useful for both study and
>> research.
>>```
>>
>>I'm not sure if the wording "both study and research" is a good style.
>>
>>[1] https://github.com/goodluck1982/SpaceGroupIrep#capabilities-of-spacegrou
>>pirep
>>
> "A dictionary is useful for both study and research." That's a perfectly
> acceptable use of the phrase.
>
> On the other hand, the phrase "for IRs of space group in BC convention" looks
> horrible.

Change to "groups" if there's more than one, or "the group" if there is
only one. Change to "communities" if these are all fans and followers
of space.

/dps

--
As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."

Re: study and research

<a165b929-397b-4b3b-acfe-8c202f863274n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130436&group=alt.usage.english#130436

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 20:51:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: hongyi.z...@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Thu, 12 May 2022 03:51 UTC

On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 6:13:23 PM UTC+8, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 11/05/22 19:11, Paul Wolff wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 May 2022, at 17:43:46, hongy...@gmail.com posted:
> >> See the following wording here [1]:
> >>
> >> ```
> >> In a word, the package SpaceGroupIrep is a database and tool set for
> >> IRs of space group in BC convention, and it is very useful for both
> >> study and research.
> >> ```
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if the wording "both study and research" is a good style.
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> https://github.com/goodluck1982/SpaceGroupIrep#capabilities-of-spacegrou
> >> pirep
> >>
> > "A dictionary is useful for both study and research." That's a perfectly
> > acceptable use of the phrase.
> >
> > On the other hand, the phrase "for IRs of space group in BC convention"
> > looks horrible.
> Yes, it needs to be spelled out: "For infra-reds of space group in
> British Columbia convention".

It means the following:

"for irreducible representations [1] of space group [2] in BC [3] convention"

As for [3], the BC is an abbreviation of the author's initials of this book:

The Mathematical Theory of Symmetry in Solids
Representation Theory for Point Groups and Space Groups
Christopher Bradley and Arthur Cracknell

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreducible_representation
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_group
[3] https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-mathematical-theory-of-symmetry-in-solids-9780199582587?cc=bt&lang=en&

> --
> Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW http://www.pmoylan.org

Re: study and research

<je3pfcFmkneU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130450&group=alt.usage.english#130450

From: acorn...@imm.cnrs.fr (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:57:47 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 12 May 2022 06:57 UTC

On 2022-05-12 03:51:03 +0000, hongy...@gmail.com said:

> On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 6:13:23 PM UTC+8, Peter Moylan wrote:
>> On 11/05/22 19:11, Paul Wolff wrote:
>>> On Tue, 10 May 2022, at 17:43:46, hongy...@gmail.com posted:

>>> "A dictionary is useful for both study and research." That's a perfectly
>>> acceptable use of the phrase.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, the phrase "for IRs of space group in BC convention"
>>> looks horrible.
>> Yes, it needs to be spelled out: "For infra-reds of space group in
>> British Columbia convention".
>
> It means the following:
>
> "for irreducible representations [1] of space group [2] in BC [3] convention"
>
> As for [3], the BC is an abbreviation of the author's initials of this book:
>
> The Mathematical Theory of Symmetry in Solids
> Representation Theory for Point Groups and Space Groups
> Christopher Bradley and Arthur Cracknell

And readers are expected to know that? How?

As I commented the other day, don't use abbreviations unless you are
sure readers know what they mean.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Re: study and research

<mn.608f7e65810b10fe.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130467&group=alt.usage.english#130467

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 02:23:04 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 12 May 2022 09:23 UTC

Wednesday, Athel Cornish-Bowden quipped:
> On 2022-05-12 03:51:03 +0000, hongy...@gmail.com said:

>>> Yes, it needs to be spelled out: "For infra-reds of space group in
>>> British Columbia convention".
>>
>> It means the following:
>>
>> "for irreducible representations [1] of space group [2] in BC [3]
>> convention"
>>
>> As for [3], the BC is an abbreviation of the author's initials of this
>> book:
>>
>> The Mathematical Theory of Symmetry in Solids
>> Representation Theory for Point Groups and Space Groups
>> Christopher Bradley and Arthur Cracknell
>>
> And readers are expected to know that? How?

Because of the context of where that post is?

> As I commented the other day, don't use abbreviations unless you are sure
> readers know what they mean.

Those abbreviations may abound at that site. Perhaps in your line of
work, there are similar sites with abbreviations you'd recognize but
which would be completely foreign to crystallographers.

/dps "although maybe you do crystallography on your protein samples"

--
Rule #0: Don't be on fire.
In case of fire, exit the building before tweeting about it.

interests / alt.usage.english / study and research