You look like a million dollars. All green and wrinkled.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: of the one of

SubjectAuthor
* of the one ofhongy...@gmail.com
+* Re: of the one ofCDB
|`* Re: of the one ofKen Blake
| `- Re: of the one ofSnidely
`* Re: of the one ofAthel Cornish-Bowden
 +* Re: of the one ofPeter Moylan
 |+- Re: of the one ofAthel Cornish-Bowden
 |`- Re: of the one ofCDB
 `* Re: of the one ofLewis
  `- Re: of the one ofhongy...@gmail.com

1
of the one of

<f1c219da-e32f-4ed1-9f0f-eda41d9ec94fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129941&group=alt.usage.english#129941

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 18:54:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: of the one of
From: hongyi.z...@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Sun, 8 May 2022 01:54 UTC

See the following description here [1]:

```
In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion of vector space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a ring. The concept of module is also a generalization of the one of abelian group, since the abelian groups are exactly the modules over the ring of integers.
```
In the above narration, is the "a generalization of the one of abelian group" a good style?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)

Regards,
HZ

Re: of the one of

<t586ha$11ko$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129961&group=alt.usage.english#129961

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: of the one of
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 06:37:28 -0400
 by: CDB - Sun, 8 May 2022 10:37 UTC

On 5/7/2022 9:54 PM, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> See the following description here [1]:

> ``` In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion of
> vector space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a ring.
> The concept of module is also a generalization of the one of abelian
> group, since the abelian groups are exactly the modules over the
> ring of integers. ``` In the above narration, is the "a
> generalization of the one of abelian group" a good style?

> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)

No. It is also unclear, which is worse.

If the word "one" is intended to stand for "notion", the word
"notion" should be used there.

Re: of the one of

<jdplarFomf5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129964&group=alt.usage.english#129964

From: acorn...@imm.cnrs.fr (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 12:45:46 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sun, 8 May 2022 10:45 UTC

On 2022-05-08 01:54:00 +0000, hongy...@gmail.com said:

> See the following description here [1]:
>
> ```
> In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion of vector
> space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a ring. The concept
> of module is also a generalization of the one of abelian group, since
> the abelian groups are exactly the modules over the ring of integers.```
> In the above narration, is the "a generalization of the one of abelian
> group" a good style?

No. It's almost unintelligible.

> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)

I've changed "one" to "notion", as suggested by CDB.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Re: of the one of

<t587k1$47b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129970&group=alt.usage.english#129970

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 20:55:58 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 8 May 2022 10:55 UTC

On 08/05/22 20:45, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2022-05-08 01:54:00 +0000, hongy...@gmail.com said:
>
>> See the following description here [1]:
>>
>> ``` In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion of
>> vector space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a ring.
>> The concept of module is also a generalization of the one of
>> abelian group, since the abelian groups are exactly the modules
>> over the ring of integers.``` In the above narration, is the "a
>> generalization of the one of abelian group" a good style?
>
> No. It's almost unintelligible.
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)
>
> I've changed "one" to "notion", as suggested by CDB.

I would prefer "concept". Otherwise, some people will be left wondering
what the difference is between a concept and a notion.

Re: of the one of

<jdpm6nForb3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129971&group=alt.usage.english#129971

From: acorn...@imm.cnrs.fr (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 13:00:38 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sun, 8 May 2022 11:00 UTC

On 2022-05-08 10:55:58 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 08/05/22 20:45, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> On 2022-05-08 01:54:00 +0000, hongy...@gmail.com said:
>>
>>> See the following description here [1]:
>>>
>>> ``` In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion of
>>> vector space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a ring.
>>> The concept of module is also a generalization of the one of
>>> abelian group, since the abelian groups are exactly the modules
>>> over the ring of integers.``` In the above narration, is the "a
>>> generalization of the one of abelian group" a good style?
>>
>> No. It's almost unintelligible.
>>>
>>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)
>>
>> I've changed "one" to "notion", as suggested by CDB.
>
> I would prefer "concept". Otherwise, some people will be left wondering
> what the difference is between a concept and a notion.

I wondered that myself. But I thought it was the same sort of notion as
mentioned already.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Re: of the one of

<slrnt7feem.16f8.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129982&group=alt.usage.english#129982

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 12:38:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sun, 8 May 2022 12:38 UTC

In message <jdplarFomf5U1@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acornish@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> On 2022-05-08 01:54:00 +0000, hongy...@gmail.com said:

>> See the following description here [1]:
>>
>> ```
>> In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion of vector
>> space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a ring. The concept
>> of module is also a generalization of the one of abelian group, since
>> the abelian groups are exactly the modules over the ring of integers.```
>> In the above narration, is the "a generalization of the one of abelian
>> group" a good style?

> No. It's almost unintelligible.
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)

> I've changed "one" to "notion", as suggested by CDB.

Notion is a word I tend to avoid, especially in anything having to do
with science, factual information, or related topics. For me, notion has
a sort of wishy-washy quality to it that fits in better with topics like
philosophy, art, drama, poetry. This is because in addition to its
meaning of "concept" it also means "impulse" or "desire".

In the above, concept is the word that I would use, and I would argue
strenuously it is a much better choice.

Reserve 'notion' fro when you are talking about one of many
possibilities, each of which might be perfectly valid.

--
Jamie, would you rather be a lion or a panda?
Coach, I'm me. Why would I want to be anyone else?

Re: of the one of

<t58fat$amv$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129985&group=alt.usage.english#129985

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 09:07:40 -0400
 by: CDB - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:07 UTC

On 5/8/2022 6:55 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> hongy...@gmail.com said:

>>> See the following description here [1]:

>>> ``` In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion
>>> of vector space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a
>>> ring. The concept of module is also a generalization of the one
>>> of abelian group, since the abelian groups are exactly the
>>> modules over the ring of integers.``` In the above narration, is
>>> the "a generalization of the one of abelian group" a good style?

>> No. It's almost unintelligible.

>>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)

>> I've changed "one" to "notion", as suggested by CDB.

> I would prefer "concept". Otherwise, some people will be left
> wondering what the difference is between a concept and a notion.

I think you're right. Clearer is better.

--
I did say "if".

Re: of the one of

<8hrf7hha29n0k7m7o53qji9agq2fnah802@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130010&group=alt.usage.english#130010

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 09:23:03 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 8 May 2022 16:23 UTC

On Sun, 8 May 2022 06:37:28 -0400, CDB <bellemarecd@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 5/7/2022 9:54 PM, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
>> See the following description here [1]:
>
>> ``` In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion of
>> vector space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a ring.
>> The concept of module is also a generalization of the one of abelian
>> group, since the abelian groups are exactly the modules over the
>> ring of integers. ``` In the above narration, is the "a
>> generalization of the one of abelian group" a good style?
>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)
>
>No. It is also unclear, which is worse.
>
>If the word "one" is intended to stand for "notion",

It probably is, but as you say, it's not clear.

> the word
>"notion" should be used there.

Yes. That would be much better.

Re: of the one of

<mn.50bd7e654dc21c66.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130180&group=alt.usage.english#130180

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 03:09:07 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 10 May 2022 10:09 UTC

After serious thinking Ken Blake wrote :
> On Sun, 8 May 2022 06:37:28 -0400, CDB <bellemarecd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/7/2022 9:54 PM, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> See the following description here [1]:
>>> ``` In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion of
>>> vector space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a ring.
>>> The concept of module is also a generalization of the one of abelian
>>> group, since the abelian groups are exactly the modules over the
>>> ring of integers. ``` In the above narration, is the "a
>>> generalization of the one of abelian group" a good style?
>>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)
>>
>> No. It is also unclear, which is worse.
>>
>> If the word "one" is intended to stand for "notion",
>
> It probably is, but as you say, it's not clear.

A bit rough, but not unclear.

>> the word
>> "notion" should be used there.
>

> Yes. That would be much better.

Oh, please. "Concept". I see that the quote has both "notion" and
"concept", but the latter is better.

/dps

--
Trust, but verify.

Re: of the one of

<5ff970aa-0f6c-4df2-b957-7eaf1136db41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130187&group=alt.usage.english#130187

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 06:44:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: hongyi.z...@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Tue, 10 May 2022 13:44 UTC

On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 8:38:50 PM UTC+8, Lewis wrote:
> In message <jdplar...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> > On 2022-05-08 01:54:00 +0000, hongy...@gmail.com said:
>
> >> See the following description here [1]:
> >>
> >> ```
> >> In mathematics, a module is a generalization of the notion of vector
> >> space, wherein the field of scalars is replaced by a ring. The concept
> >> of module is also a generalization of the one of abelian group, since
> >> the abelian groups are exactly the modules over the ring of integers.```
> >> In the above narration, is the "a generalization of the one of abelian
> >> group" a good style?
>
> > No. It's almost unintelligible.
> >>
> >> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)
>
> > I've changed "one" to "notion", as suggested by CDB.
> Notion is a word I tend to avoid, especially in anything having to do
> with science, factual information, or related topics. For me, notion has
> a sort of wishy-washy quality to it that fits in better with topics like
> philosophy, art, drama, poetry. This is because in addition to its
> meaning of "concept" it also means "impulse" or "desire".
>
> In the above, concept is the word that I would use, and I would argue
> strenuously it is a much better choice.
>
> Reserve 'notion' fro when you are talking about one of many

.... for when ...