If you keep anything long enough, you can throw it away.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: "Macronate"

SubjectAuthor
* "Macronate"occam
+* Re: "Macronate"bruce bowser
+* Re: "Macronate"bil...@shaw.ca
|+- Re: "Macronate"Peter T. Daniels
|+- Re: "Macronate"occam
|+* Re: "Macronate"Quinn C
||`* Re: "Macronate"Sam Plusnet
|| +- Re: "Macronate"Peter T. Daniels
|| +- Re: "Macronate"lar3ryca
|| `* Re: "Macronate"Quinn C
||  `* Re: "Macronate"Ken Blake
||   +* Re: "Macronate"Quinn C
||   |`* Re: "Macronate"Ken Blake
||   | `- Re: "Macronate"Tony Cooper
||   +* Re: "Macronate"Mark Brader
||   |+* Re: "Macronate"Peter T. Daniels
||   ||+* Re: "Macronate"Janet
||   |||`- Re: "Macronate"Richard Heathfield
||   ||`- Re: "Macronate"CDB
||   |+* Re: "Macronate"Tony Cooper
||   ||+* Re: "Macronate"lar3ryca
||   |||`* Re: "Macronate"Tony Cooper
||   ||| `- Re: "Macronate"lar3ryca
||   ||`* Re: "Macronate"Tony Cooper
||   || +* Re: "Macronate"Sam Plusnet
||   || |`* Re: "Macronate"Tony Cooper
||   || | `- Re: "Macronate"Lewis
||   || +* Re: "Macronate"lar3ryca
||   || |+- Re: "Macronate"Tony Cooper
||   || |`* Re: "Macronate"Ken Blake
||   || | +* Re: "Macronate"Ken Blake
||   || | |`- Re: "Macronate"Lewis
||   || | `* Re: "Macronate"lar3ryca
||   || |  `* Re: "Macronate"Ken Blake
||   || |   +* Re: "Macronate"lar3ryca
||   || |   |`* Re: "Macronate"Ken Blake
||   || |   | `* Re: "Macronate"lar3ryca
||   || |   |  `- Re: "Macronate"Tony Cooper
||   || |   `- Re: "Macronate"Lewis
||   || `- Re: "Macronate"Lewis
||   |`- Re: "Macronate"Ken Blake
||   `- Re: "Macronate"Lewis
|`* Re: "Macronate"Lewis
| `* Re: "Macronate"bil...@shaw.ca
|  `- Re: "Macronate"Lewis
`* Re: "Macronate"Hibou
 `* Re: "Macronate"occam
  `- Re: "Macronate"Hibou

Pages:123
Re: "Macronate"

<slrnt7dd6u.3026.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129896&group=alt.usage.english#129896

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: "Macronate"
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 18:05:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 7 May 2022 18:05 UTC

In message <0mha7hlvg2656aoucm8q9rsu1rc7ea613p@4ax.com> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2022 08:45:00 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
> wrote:

>>>MM definitely V.
>>>
>>>Yes, they are 'in line', and I, as well as most, if not all, people I
>>>know would say that is a lineup, as in "There is a long lineup at the
>>>ticket booth.", or "You should get out to the concession before the
>>>lineup gets too long."
>>

>>In both those cases, I would say "line." To me, "lineup" is a verb and
>>"line" is a noun. You can lineup or you can get in line.

> Better than "lineup" would be "line up."

'Line up' is a verb, you cannot use it to say "there is a long line up'
but you could say "a lot of people are lining up".

--
[Unused] "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but she'd never leave Mickey.
Brain: I thought we agreed never to discuss that!

Re: "Macronate"

<slrnt7ddc4.3026.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129897&group=alt.usage.english#129897

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 18:08:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 7 May 2022 18:08 UTC

In message <7bqa7hhc2mpknbch4d2f05h12o60q5cdvf@4ax.com> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2022 10:36:48 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:

>>> In both those cases, I would say "line." To me, "lineup" is a verb and
>>> "line" is a noun. You can lineup or you can get in line.
>>
>>'lineup' is a noun.

> To you. As I said, not to me.

this is not a matter of opinion. Lineup *is* a noun. Period.

You can say that "to you" broccoli means "the gear thsift ina 1945 Ford"
but then we have left the bounds of talking about language and you have
decided that being understood by other peple is of no relevance, which
will make it hard for you to communicate.

Lineup is a noun. It is *only* a noun.

> A verb. As I also said, "line up" would be better to me than "line
> up."

???

--
Law of Probability Dispersal: Whatever hits the fan will not be
evenly distributed.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: "Macronate"