Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 21:45:28 -0700 (PDT)
<353648cb-4e3b-46de-beac-fcdf797fac06@o3g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>
<3b1c7cc1-adb0-4ded-9ec3-89dd468834c6@w12g2000vbj.googlegroups.com> <af726e02-ac8f-476b-add4-2e1c06cbe418@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Why 'Marathi'?
From: mailtosa...@gmail.com (Unnikkuttan)
 by: Unnikkuttan - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 04:45 UTC

On Friday, January 22, 2010 at 12:25:03 AM UTC+5:30, bademiyansubhanallah wrote:
> Congress Raj: Mumbai cabbies must know Marathi, have 15-year domicile
> Express news service
> Mumbai:
> Migrants to feel the heat
> Maharashtra’s Congress-NCP government today stoked a new controversy
> involving identity politics by mandating that all applicants for new
> taxi permits should know to read and write Marathi, besides
> reaffirming an existing rule that they also have to be residents of
> the state for at least 15 years.
> Although the decision applies to the entire state, it is seen as
> mostly relevant to the capital Mumbai where the government has allowed
> 55,000 taxis to operate in various categories, including the
> ubiquitous black-and-yellow Premier Padminis or Fiats which have long
> been icons of the city.
> However, of the 55,000 permits, only 31,000 are in use officially. And
> more than 25,000 of these are the ordinary black-and-yellow variety. A
> majority of these ordinary taxis are known to be driven by migrants
> from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, who were at the receiving end of an anti-
> migrant campaign by Raj Thackeray’s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS)
> launched in 2008.
> The timing of the decision, which was passed by the state cabinet
> today, was surprising. Observers reckoned a political motive was
> apparent, but it was not clear what it aimed to achieve. The Congress-
> NCP alliance came to power barely three months ago with a bigger
> mandate, and is now firmly in the saddle for five years.
> Some Congress sources, however, said the move smacked of an attempt to
> push the MNS on the backfoot, and strengthen the government’s pro-
> Marathi credentials at a time all major political parties in the state
> are trying to boost their organization and have launched, or are
> planning to launch, major membership drives.
> State Transport Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil, the prime mover
> behind the decision, said that Wednesday’s decision would be applied
> when the 24,000 permits that have been lying dormant come for
> renewal.
> New permits, he said, would be issued only to air-conditioned services
> operated by fleets and are known as fleet taxis under various brand
> names as the government wanted to encourage such services. Mumbai has
> a handful of companies offering fleet taxi services who employ
> hundreds of drivers from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, although existing
> drivers will not be hurt by the new rule.
> The new permits would be charged Rs one lakh and would require the
> cars to be brand new air-conditioned vehicles, with equipment such as
> radio phones and electronic meters with a printer. They would also
> need to have a back office or a call centre to support them, he added.
> “The permit owner should also know to read and write Marathi,” Vikhe-
> Patil said.
> “We had given taxi owners the chance to renew dormant permits and had
> [...]
https://webtecky.net/love-calculator
https://webtecky.net/urdu-typing
https://webtecky.net/malayalam-typing
https://webtecky.net/flip-a-coin-online
https://webtecky.net/hindi-typing
https://webtecky.net/mind-reader-online
https://webtecky.net/malayalam-voice-typing
https://webtecky.net/hindi-typing
https://webtecky.net/arabic-typing

Click here to read the complete article

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Why 'Marathi'?