Fear is the greatest salesman. -- Robert Klein

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Woman fatally shoots man who opened fire on dozens of people attending party

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Woman fatally shoots man who opened fire on dozens of peopleLenona
`- Re: Woman fatally shoots man who opened fire on dozens of peopleKenny McCormack

1
Re: Woman fatally shoots man who opened fire on dozens of people attending party

<694442e2-e786-480a-9a0a-cddc422d7fa9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12912&group=alt.obituaries#12912

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 05:44:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Woman fatally shoots man who opened fire on dozens of people
attending party
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Mon, 30 May 2022 12:44 UTC

> While this case isn’t making nearly the news splash as the Uvalde, Texas massacre that saw 19 children and two teachers murdered, it could have been as devastating had this hero with a firearm not been present to take out the threat. It is simply one example of the approximately two million annual defensive gun uses that save lives.

Two million? That's more than 5,400 a day...

I can't help but wonder if that number includes incidents of guns being used to scare off unarmed teenage burglars who never even expected to find anyone there...

Re: Woman fatally shoots man who opened fire on dozens of people attending party

<t72hd8$t0tb$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12914&group=alt.obituaries#12914

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
attending party
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 13:38:48 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Mon, 30 May 2022 13:38 UTC

In article <694442e2-e786-480a-9a0a-cddc422d7fa9n@googlegroups.com>,
Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:

>While this case isnt making nearly the news splash as the Uvalde, Texas
>massacre that saw 19 children and two teachers murdered, it could have
>been as devastating had this hero with a firearm not been present to
>take out the threat. It is simply one example of the approximately two
>million annual defensive gun uses that save lives.
>

>Two million? That's more than 5,400 a day...
>
>I can't help but wonder if that number includes incidents of guns being
>used to scare off unarmed teenage burglars who never even expected to
>find anyone there...

As I've mentioned a few times already, this "2 million DGU/year" figure is
central to the gun-nut's agenda. If true, and valid (see below), it could
actually make the case for "Guns, guns, guns!! More guns! The solution to
every problem" that they so dearly want to have be true.

The problems with it are, first, that it is probably entirely fictional, as
are most if not all statistics you hear from right-wingers.

The second is, as you've alluded to, even it is true, is it valid? What gets
counted? My guess is that the definition is extremely broad, and probably
includes a lot of things that sensible people wouldn't think should be
included.

That all said, the original post does sound a little too pat. I'm sure the
family of the victim will be suing the shooter (even if, at least for the
moment, no criminal charges are being filed against her). Remember, the
victim didn't injure (much less kill) anyone. It's not going to be that
hard for some lawyer to portray his as a victim.

--
Watching ConservaLoons playing with statistics and facts is like watching a
newborn play with a computer. Endlessly amusing, but totally unproductive.

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Woman fatally shoots man who opened fire on dozens of people attending party