Learning at some schools is like drinking from a firehose.

interests / rec.puzzles / Re: My tough take on Word Ladder

SubjectAuthor
* My tough take on Word LadderGraham Smith
`* Re: My tough take on Word Ladderhenh...@gmail.com
 `- Re: My tough take on Word LadderHenHanna

1
My tough take on Word Ladder

<2cfcd4ab-3dc1-4c12-80a7-a0ffb33826e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=125&group=rec.puzzles#125

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 06:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: My tough take on Word Ladder
From: noh...@gmail.com (Graham Smith)
 by: Graham Smith - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:53 UTC

A bit over a year ago, I introduced Ladderet to this group - my novel variant of the standard Word Ladder puzzle. The puzzle is now on Twitter and Facebook. It’s entirely free. I publish one puzzle every weekday. I’ve clocked up ten weeks now.

Wordle was the stimulus for this venture. Ladderet also uses 5-letter words and it is meant to be solved in a similar amount of time.

On Twitter, I tweet the puzzle under the username @PuzzleSmith.
On Facebook, I have a page for the puzzle. Search for ‘LadderetPuzzle’ to find it.

Ladderet is different from a standard word ladder in three respects:
1. The words are 5 letters long.
2. There are just two intermediate rungs on the ladder.
3. On each step, EXACTLY 2 letters must be changed.

An example puzzle:
RACKS
* * * * *
* * * * *
BRAIN

Solution (there is only ever one - using commonplace words):
RACKS
BASKS
BASIN
BRAIN

Here is puzzle #45:
TWIST
* * * * *
* * * * *
WATCH

The solution is on Twitter and Facebook.

Re: My tough take on Word Ladder

<5b03c01a-6095-4f07-828b-530c2de804c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=127&group=rec.puzzles#127

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 13:06:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: My tough take on Word Ladder
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sun, 22 May 2022 20:06 UTC

(ONE --> TWO)

1-letter change: one owe .......... ???

2-letter change one toe two
______________________

are 4-letter (word) versions too easy ?

(EASY --> HARD) easy - hazy - hard

eggs -> emus

(eggs --> BIRD) ( eggs (bigs?) bags (bard) ... )

eggs - bags - bids - bird

______________________

The original Doublet was called [Word Golf] by Nabokov.

i'd call this [Word-Hop] because advancing 2-at-a-time is like Hopping (with both feet) instead of walking

verb hops, hopping or hopped (intr) === to make a jump forwards or upwards, esp on one foot (intr)
(esp of frogs, birds, rabbits, etc) to move forwards in short jumps

For animals, we say they hop when they jump with two feet or all of their feet at one time. Think of how a bunny rabbit moves: The animal is hopping.

Can you hop on two feet? ------ A hop is a light and small jump, usually on the same place but not always. A hop is performed by leaping off the ground with the body totally in the air, defying gravity for a while, usually done with only one leg especially for humans. In animals such as rabbits or kangaroos, they can use both their feet to hop.

On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 6:53:23 AM UTC-7, Graham Smith wrote:
> A bit over a year ago, I introduced Ladderet to this group - my novel variant of the standard Word Ladder puzzle. The puzzle is now on Twitter and Facebook. It’s entirely free. I publish one puzzle every weekday. I’ve clocked up ten weeks now.
>
> Wordle was the stimulus for this venture. Ladderet also uses 5-letter words and it is meant to be solved in a similar amount of time.
>
> On Twitter, I tweet the puzzle under the username @PuzzleSmith.
> On Facebook, I have a page for the puzzle. Search for ‘LadderetPuzzle’ to find it.
>
> Ladderet is different from a standard word ladder in three respects:
> 1. The words are 5 letters long.
> 2. There are just two intermediate rungs on the ladder.
> 3. On each step, EXACTLY 2 letters must be changed.
>
> An example puzzle:
> RACKS
> * * * * *
> * * * * *
> BRAIN
>
> Solution (there is only ever one - using commonplace words):
> RACKS
> BASKS
> BASIN
> BRAIN
>
> Here is puzzle #45:
> TWIST
> * * * * *
> * * * * *
> WATCH
>
> The solution is on Twitter and Facebook.

Re: My tough take on Word Ladder

<91a6c2e9b8ea255b774ee8c74c7e37a4@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=954&group=rec.puzzles#954

From: HenHa...@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 08:17:52 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 4 May 2024 08:17 UTC

nice.