We have art that we do not die of the truth. -- Nietzsche

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Sheep Manure

SubjectAuthor
* Sheep ManurePavel314
+- Re: Sheep ManureSnag
`* Re: Sheep Manuresongbird
 +* Re: Sheep ManurePavel314
 |`- Re: Sheep Manuresongbird
 `* Re: Sheep ManureFrank
  +- Re: Sheep Manuresongbird
  `* Re: Sheep ManurePavel314
   `* Re: Sheep ManureFrank
    `- Re: Sheep ManurePavel314

1
Sheep Manure

<842420eb-790f-4ecc-a178-ad0bc8a2adbfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=126&group=rec.gardens.edible#126

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sheep Manure
From: pint...@jhmi.edu (Pavel314)
 by: Pavel314 - Sat, 15 May 2021 20:57 UTC

We're having the sheep shorn in a couple of weeks so we started cleaning out the manure that accumulated in the sheep barn over the winter. I put eight five-gallon buckets in the lawn tractor trailer then shovel the manure into the trailer. Most ends up in the buckets but we get about a ninth full bucket from the loose stuff that falls between the buckets. We've gotten two loads out and up to the garden so far, roughly 18 buckets worth or 90 gallons of dry, loose manure.

Re: Sheep Manure

<s7q68d$5t5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=127&group=rec.gardens.edible#127

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Sheep Manure
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 23:15:13 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 16 May 2021 04:15 UTC

On 5/15/2021 3:57 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
> We're having the sheep shorn in a couple of weeks so we started cleaning out the manure that accumulated in the sheep barn over the winter. I put eight five-gallon buckets in the lawn tractor trailer then shovel the manure into the trailer. Most ends up in the buckets but we get about a ninth full bucket from the loose stuff that falls between the buckets. We've gotten two loads out and up to the garden so far, roughly 18 buckets worth or 90 gallons of dry, loose manure.

Get that shit spread out and tilled in !
<pun intended>
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

Re: Sheep Manure

<cpo8nh-7u3.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=128&group=rec.gardens.edible#128

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 20:08:44 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 17 May 2021 00:08 UTC

Pavel314 wrote:
> We're having the sheep shorn in a couple of weeks so we started cleaning out the manure that accumulated in the sheep barn over the winter. I put eight five-gallon buckets in the lawn tractor trailer then shovel the manure into the trailer. Most ends up in the buckets but we get about a ninth full bucket from the loose stuff that falls between the buckets. We've gotten two loads out and up to the garden so far, roughly 18 buckets worth or 90 gallons of dry, loose manure.

sounds good to me. :)

herbivore poo is prime plant food, but prime because either dung
beetles or worms or other creatures work on breaking it down further.

have you ever considered a worm farm? :)

songbird

Re: Sheep Manure

<0d5b974e-3877-47b6-a900-b987dda811dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129&group=rec.gardens.edible#129

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 19:58:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: pint...@jhmi.edu (Pavel314)
 by: Pavel314 - Tue, 18 May 2021 02:58 UTC

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 8:14:42 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> Pavel314 wrote:
> > We're having the sheep shorn in a couple of weeks so we started cleaning out the manure that accumulated in the sheep barn over the winter. I put eight five-gallon buckets in the lawn tractor trailer then shovel the manure into the trailer. Most ends up in the buckets but we get about a ninth full bucket from the loose stuff that falls between the buckets. We've gotten two loads out and up to the garden so far, roughly 18 buckets worth or 90 gallons of dry, loose manure.
> sounds good to me. :)
>
> herbivore poo is prime plant food, but prime because either dung
> beetles or worms or other creatures work on breaking it down further.
>
> have you ever considered a worm farm? :)
>

> songbird

I think that we have an unintentional worm farm out in the garden after many years of sheep manure and compost additions. Whenever I go out to work in the garden, the robins hang around, knowing that I'm going to turn up a bunch of worms for them.

Paul

Re: Sheep Manure

<rescnh-3c3.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130&group=rec.gardens.edible#130

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 09:35:55 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 18 May 2021 13:35 UTC

Pavel314 wrote:
> I think that we have an unintentional worm farm out in the garden after many years of sheep manure and compost additions. Whenever I go out to work in the garden, the robins hang around, knowing that I'm going to turn up a bunch of worms for them.

:) we don't have birds that will hang out that closely other
than the killdeer who sits on her eggs. she's on her 2nd batch
i think the first batch froze. :(

songbird

Re: Sheep Manure

<s81gs7$l7c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134&group=rec.gardens.edible#134

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 18:59:17 -0400
 by: Frank - Tue, 18 May 2021 22:59 UTC

On 5/16/2021 8:08 PM, songbird wrote:
> Pavel314 wrote:
>> We're having the sheep shorn in a couple of weeks so we started cleaning out the manure that accumulated in the sheep barn over the winter. I put eight five-gallon buckets in the lawn tractor trailer then shovel the manure into the trailer. Most ends up in the buckets but we get about a ninth full bucket from the loose stuff that falls between the buckets. We've gotten two loads out and up to the garden so far, roughly 18 buckets worth or 90 gallons of dry, loose manure.
>
> sounds good to me. :)
>
> herbivore poo is prime plant food, but prime because either dung
> beetles or worms or other creatures work on breaking it down further.
>
> have you ever considered a worm farm? :)
>

> songbird

Years ago there was an organic farmer that posted here and his big
concern about using horse manure is that it might be contaminated with
strong pesticides used to keep flies down in stables.

Re: Sheep Manure

<803enh-k04.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=135&group=rec.gardens.edible#135

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 20:33:44 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 19 May 2021 00:33 UTC

Frank wrote:
> Years ago there was an organic farmer that posted here and his big
> concern about using horse manure is that it might be contaminated with
> strong pesticides used to keep flies down in stables.

well certainly make sure your poo isn't coming from a
contaminated source.

songbird

Re: Sheep Manure

<cf0dcdbd-db80-4f51-bfe9-ef0294e9cdd9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=136&group=rec.gardens.edible#136

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 19:14:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: pint...@jhmi.edu (Pavel314)
 by: Pavel314 - Wed, 19 May 2021 02:14 UTC

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 6:59:20 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
> On 5/16/2021 8:08 PM, songbird wrote:
> > Pavel314 wrote:
> >> We're having the sheep shorn in a couple of weeks so we started cleaning out the manure that accumulated in the sheep barn over the winter. I put eight five-gallon buckets in the lawn tractor trailer then shovel the manure into the trailer. Most ends up in the buckets but we get about a ninth full bucket from the loose stuff that falls between the buckets. We've gotten two loads out and up to the garden so far, roughly 18 buckets worth or 90 gallons of dry, loose manure.
> >
> > sounds good to me. :)
> >
> > herbivore poo is prime plant food, but prime because either dung
> > beetles or worms or other creatures work on breaking it down further.
> >
> > have you ever considered a worm farm? :)
> >

> > songbird
> >
> Years ago there was an organic farmer that posted here and his big
> concern about using horse manure is that it might be contaminated with
> strong pesticides used to keep flies down in stables.

We don't use pesticides in the sheep barn.

Paul

Re: Sheep Manure

<s82rvc$448$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138&group=rec.gardens.edible#138

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 07:14:50 -0400
 by: Frank - Wed, 19 May 2021 11:14 UTC

On 5/18/2021 10:14 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 6:59:20 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
>>>
>>> sounds good to me. :)
>>>
>>> herbivore poo is prime plant food, but prime because either dung
>>> beetles or worms or other creatures work on breaking it down further.
>>>
>>> have you ever considered a worm farm? :)
>>>

>>> songbird
>>>
>> Years ago there was an organic farmer that posted here and his big
>> concern about using horse manure is that it might be contaminated with
>> strong pesticides used to keep flies down in stables.
>
> We don't use pesticides in the sheep barn.
>
> Paul

Then you are good to go. I found this reference which may be good for you:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/composting-sheep-manure.htm

Re: Sheep Manure

<118ead5c-e786-43d8-8aad-e284103249b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=139&group=rec.gardens.edible#139

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 06:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: pint...@jhmi.edu (Pavel314)
 by: Pavel314 - Thu, 20 May 2021 13:24 UTC

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 7:14:53 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
> On 5/18/2021 10:14 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

> >> Years ago there was an organic farmer that posted here and his big
> >> concern about using horse manure is that it might be contaminated with
> >> strong pesticides used to keep flies down in stables.
> >
> > We don't use pesticides in the sheep barn.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> Then you are good to go. I found this reference which may be good for you:
> https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/composting-sheep-manure.htm

Thanks for posting that.

Paul