Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 05:50:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: In Pursuit of Peace
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 12:50 UTC

"Sens. J.D. Vance of Ohio, Mike Lee of Utah, and Rand Paul of Kentucky were joined by sixteen other members of Congress in writing a letter to the Biden administration on Thursday.
“With every new aid package and every new weapon provided to Ukraine, the risk of direct conflict with Russia climbs,” the Republican signatories claim.

The current regime, however, seems unbothered and undeterred by such prospects.
But “Open-ended U.S. aid to Ukraine is fundamentally incompatible with our strategic interests,” Vance, Lee, Paul, and company write. Later, they say, "There are appropriate ways in which the U.S. can support the Ukrainian people, but unlimited arms supplies in support of an endless war is not one of them. Our national interests, and those of the Ukrainian people, are best served by incentivizing the negotiations that are urgently needed to bring this conflict to a resolution. We strongly urge you to advocate for a negotiated peace between the two sides, bringing this awful conflict to a close."
Admittedly, the letter was light on details on what a brokered peace between Russia and Ukraine would look like. In TAC's latest print issue, William Lind suggests some initial terms for peace in Ukraine:

Russia gets Crimea, the Donbas, and a land corridor linking the two, but she has to pay Ukraine for them, say, $1.5 trillion, money that would go toward rebuilding Ukraine’s cities. Until the money is paid, Russia would not get title to the territories nor a complete lifting of sanctions.. Russia would yield Russian occupied East Prussia to Ukraine, giving Ukraine two seas, Black and Baltic, through which she could export her grain.

It’s not comprehensive, but it's a reasonable and workable first step."
https://www.theamericanconservative.com/in-pursuit-of-peace/

interests / soc.culture.china / In Pursuit of Peace