The beauty of a pun is in the "Oy!" of the beholder.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Term Limit and Bad Presidential Performance Re:China’s Xi arrives in Moscow for first visit since Russia invaded Ukraine

SubjectAuthor
* Term Limit and Bad Presidential Performance Re:Chinltlee1
`* Re: Term Limit and Bad Presidential Performance Re:CA. Filip
 `- Re: Term Limit and Bad Presidential Performance Re:Cltlee1

1
Term Limit and Bad Presidential Performance Re:China’s Xi arrives in Moscow for first visit since Russia invaded Ukraine

<9789cd6c-13b6-4454-a9e4-8e2e93b8bb8cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12250&group=soc.culture.china#12250

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 11:26:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Term_Limit_and_Bad_Presidential_Performance__Re:Chin
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 18:26 UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States

Franklin D Roosevelt, the last President for Life in the US, was rated higher than all presidents after him.

The logical question is clear: Is term limit a mistake?

> >> Nothing is too hard for Xi. President for life is the best.
> >
> > Don't know what you mean by describing Xi as President for life?
> > Can you really see the future?
> Formally President Xi is "president for lifer" more than even Putin [A][B].
> Putin "resets" the limits. Formally you are right. Practice "may be"
> different. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
> You are hoping. I am preparing for Chinese Lukashenko [C]
> > Or are you arrogating yourself above all Chinese people such that your
> > say so will eventually turned true no matter how the Chinese think?
> For me it merely not learning on USA mistakes/fixes. USA introduced
> (formal constitutional) limit on number of USA president terms
> *after four terms* of president Franklin Delano Roosevelt (D).
> FDR was a great president, wasn't he? But somehow once was enough.
> It is about mechanism of using power to stay in power, using *too much*.
>
> <irony> I am ready to praise dynasty of Red Emperor Xi. </irony>
>
> [A] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xi_Jinping
> > removal of term limits for the presidency in 2018
> [B] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Putin
> > (born 7 October 1952) […]
> > He was reelected in 2004. Because he was constitutionally limited to
> > two consecutive terms as president, Putin served as prime minister
> > again from 2008 to 2012 under Dmitry Medvedev. He returned to the
> > presidency in 2012, […] was reelected in 2018. In April 2021, after a
> > referendum, he signed into law constitutional amendments including one
> > that would allow him to run for reelection twice more, potentially
> > extending his presidency to 2036.[8][9]
> [C] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Lukashenko

Re: Term Limit and Bad Presidential Performance Re:China’s Xi arrives in Moscow for first visit since Russia invaded Ukraine

<anfi+vsvjf483cf-n3l2@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12251&group=soc.culture.china#12251

From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: Term Limit and Bad Presidential Performance Re:C
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:24:30 +0100
sha1:c+Uh+wjb1O4zh3OZAO8/2jgqbG0=
 by: A. Filip - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:24 UTC

ltlee1 <ltlee1@hotmail.com> wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States
>
> Franklin D Roosevelt, the last President for Life in the US, was rated higher than all presidents after him.
>
> The logical question is clear: Is term limit a mistake?

It may block a few great leaders ruling longer.
It will block many mediocre leaders skilled merely at keeping power.
So it is about the balance. IMHO _on long run_ term limit should
produce significantly+ better expected average.
Do you really want to _risk_ China becoming The Second North Korea?
[ see Kim Dynasty ]

I may (sometimes) call Xi a good president. I am not going to call him
great president anytime soon. But I am not a Chinese. My opinion is
"advisory" (at best).

“Unhappy the land that is in need of heroes”
-- Bertolt Brecht

BTW AFAIR FDR is the one and only US president serving more than two terms

--
A. Filip : Big (Tech) Brother is watching you.
| Rome was not built in one day. (John Heywood)

Re: Term Limit and Bad Presidential Performance Re:China’s Xi arrives in Moscow for first visit since Russia invaded Ukraine

<e8d0f3c5-9b49-4754-8108-1258105235f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12252&group=soc.culture.china#12252

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 13:40:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:40 UTC

On Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 7:24:34 PM UTC, A. Filip wrote:
> ltlee1 wrote:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States
> >
> > Franklin D Roosevelt, the last President for Life in the US, was rated higher than all presidents after him.
> >
> > The logical question is clear: Is term limit a mistake?

> It may block a few great leaders ruling longer.
> It will block many mediocre leaders skilled merely at keeping power.
> So it is about the balance. IMHO _on long run_ term limit should
> produce significantly+ better expected average.

> Do you really want to _risk_ China becoming The Second North Korea?
> [ see Kim Dynasty ]
>
> I may (sometimes) call Xi a good president. I am not going to call him
> great president anytime soon. But I am not a Chinese. My opinion is
> "advisory" (at best).

Given China's geopolitical complexity and its size, I am not convinced two five
year terms is long enough for one to do a good job. Of course, allowing one to
hold power longer would increases the possibility of bureaucratic rot. But at this
stage of China's national development, the risk is ineffective and inexperienced
government team because of short term limit is greater its opposite.

Unification could be the dividing line. An unified China is a more established world
power. Higher threshold for power continuation beyond the second term would be
reasonable.

> “Unhappy the land that is in need of heroes”
> -- Bertolt Brecht
>
> BTW AFAIR FDR is the one and only US president serving more than two terms

Wasn't the US lucky to have its PRESIDENT FOR LIFE? Without FDR, the world might
be totally different.