It was Penguin lust... at its ugliest.

interests / soc.culture.china / America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World

SubjectAuthor
* America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar Worldltlee1
+* Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar Worldstoney
|`- Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar Worldltlee1
`* Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar Worldltlee1
 `* Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar Worldstoney
  `- Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar Worldltlee1

1
America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World

<27da05e3-9923-4570-b66e-398b21fd8891n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12139&group=soc.culture.china#12139

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:24:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 00:24 UTC

"After the United States moved from the darkness of the Cold War into the pleasant glow of the so-called unipolar moment, a diverse array of scholars, pundits, and world leaders began predicting, yearning for, or actively seeking a return to a multipolar world. Not surprisingly, Russian and Chinese leaders have long expressed a desire for a more multipolar order, as have the leaders of emerging powers such as India or Brazil. More interestingly, so have important U.S. allies. Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder warned of the “undeniable danger” of U.S. unilateralism, and former French Foreign Minister Hubert Védrine once declared that “the entire foreign policy of France … is aimed at making the world of tomorrow composed of several poles, not just one.” Current French President Emmanuel Macron’s support for European unity and strategic autonomy reveals a similar impulse.

Surprise, surprise: U.S. leaders don’t agree. They prefer the expansive opportunities and gratifying status that come from being the indispensable power, and they have been loath to abandon a position of unchallenged primacy. Back in 1991, the George H.W. Bush administration prepared a defense guidance document calling for active efforts to prevent the emergence of peer competitors anywhere in the world. The various National Security Strategy documents issued by Republicans and Democrats in subsequent years have all extolled the need to maintain U.S. primacy, even when they acknowledge the return of great power competition. Prominent academics have weighed in too—some arguing that U.S. primacy is “essential to the future of freedom,” and good for the United States and the world alike. I’ve contributed to this view myself, writing in 2005 that “the central aim of U.S. grand strategy should be to preserve its position of primacy for as long as possible.” (My advice on how to achieve that goal was ignored, however.)

Although the Biden administration recognizes that we are back in a world of several great powers, it seems nostalgic for the brief era when the United States didn’t face peer competitors. Hence its vigorous reassertion of “U.S. leadership,” its desire to inflict a military defeat on Russia that will leave it too weak to cause trouble in the future, and its efforts to stifle China’s rise by restricting Beijing’s access to critical technological inputs while subsidizing the U.S. semiconductor industry."

Will the US have a bright future in a Multipolar World?
Stephen M. Walt thinks "Yes" as a Realist.
In contrast, I suspect American leaders who had held on the Messianic idea of "city on the hill" which also promises easy lives for US politicians for too long think "NO".

Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World

<6ef8b471-8887-4f9f-bc54-f4c170653558n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12146&group=soc.culture.china#12146

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 08:21:34 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 16:21 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 8:24:58 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> "After the United States moved from the darkness of the Cold War into the pleasant glow of the so-called unipolar moment, a diverse array of scholars, pundits, and world leaders began predicting, yearning for, or actively seeking a return to a multipolar world. Not surprisingly, Russian and Chinese leaders have long expressed a desire for a more multipolar order, as have the leaders of emerging powers such as India or Brazil. More interestingly, so have important U.S. allies. Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder warned of the “undeniable danger” of U.S. unilateralism, and former French Foreign Minister Hubert Védrine once declared that “the entire foreign policy of France … is aimed at making the world of tomorrow composed of several poles, not just one.” Current French President Emmanuel Macron’s support for European unity and strategic autonomy reveals a similar impulse.
>
> Surprise, surprise: U.S. leaders don’t agree. They prefer the expansive opportunities and gratifying status that come from being the indispensable power, and they have been loath to abandon a position of unchallenged primacy. Back in 1991, the George H.W. Bush administration prepared a defense guidance document calling for active efforts to prevent the emergence of peer competitors anywhere in the world. The various National Security Strategy documents issued by Republicans and Democrats in subsequent years have all extolled the need to maintain U.S. primacy, even when they acknowledge the return of great power competition. Prominent academics have weighed in too—some arguing that U.S. primacy is “essential to the future of freedom,” and good for the United States and the world alike. I’ve contributed to this view myself, writing in 2005 that “the central aim of U.S. grand strategy should be to preserve its position of primacy for as long as possible.” (My advice on how to achieve that goal was ignored, however.)
>
> Although the Biden administration recognizes that we are back in a world of several great powers, it seems nostalgic for the brief era when the United States didn’t face peer competitors. Hence its vigorous reassertion of “U.S. leadership,” its desire to inflict a military defeat on Russia that will leave it too weak to cause trouble in the future, and its efforts to stifle China’s rise by restricting Beijing’s access to critical technological inputs while subsidizing the U.S. semiconductor industry."
>
> Will the US have a bright future in a Multipolar World?
> Stephen M. Walt thinks "Yes" as a Realist.
> In contrast, I suspect American leaders who had held on the Messianic idea of "city on the hill" which also promises easy lives for US politicians for too long think "NO".

US used dirty tricks with their cronies to dominate and now they are scared as unipolar power is going to change by many countries going into multi-polar powers.

Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World

<07a32d80-c52b-49fc-a224-8e18527d8243n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12150&group=soc.culture.china#12150

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 11:34:35 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 19:34 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 4:21:36 PM UTC, stoney wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Will the US have a bright future in a Multipolar World?
> > Stephen M. Walt thinks "Yes" as a Realist.
> > In contrast, I suspect American leaders who had held on the Messianic idea of "city on the hill" which also promises easy lives for US politicians for too long think "NO".
> US used dirty tricks with their cronies to dominate and now they are scared as unipolar power is going to change by many countries going into multi-polar powers.

Is that how the US sees itself?
Or does the US see itself on the side of good in a struggle between good and evil?

Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World

<503a4e27-93d9-4e48-af19-0cbac4aab2a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12160&group=soc.culture.china#12160

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 08:42:15 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 16:42 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 12:24:58 AM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> "After the United States moved from the darkness of the Cold War into the pleasant glow of the so-called unipolar moment, a diverse array of scholars, pundits, and world leaders began predicting, yearning for, or actively seeking a return to a multipolar world. Not surprisingly, Russian and Chinese leaders have long expressed a desire for a more multipolar order, as have the leaders of emerging powers such as India or Brazil. More interestingly, so have important U.S. allies. Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder warned of the “undeniable danger” of U.S. unilateralism, and former French Foreign Minister Hubert Védrine once declared that “the entire foreign policy of France … is aimed at making the world of tomorrow composed of several poles, not just one.” Current French President Emmanuel Macron’s support for European unity and strategic autonomy reveals a similar impulse.
>
> Surprise, surprise: U.S. leaders don’t agree. They prefer the expansive opportunities and gratifying status that come from being the indispensable power, and they have been loath to abandon a position of unchallenged primacy. Back in 1991, the George H.W. Bush administration prepared a defense guidance document calling for active efforts to prevent the emergence of peer competitors anywhere in the world. The various National Security Strategy documents issued by Republicans and Democrats in subsequent years have all extolled the need to maintain U.S. primacy, even when they acknowledge the return of great power competition. Prominent academics have weighed in too—some arguing that U.S. primacy is “essential to the future of freedom,” and good for the United States and the world alike. I’ve contributed to this view myself, writing in 2005 that “the central aim of U.S. grand strategy should be to preserve its position of primacy for as long as possible.” (My advice on how to achieve that goal was ignored, however.)
>
> Although the Biden administration recognizes that we are back in a world of several great powers, it seems nostalgic for the brief era when the United States didn’t face peer competitors. Hence its vigorous reassertion of “U.S. leadership,” its desire to inflict a military defeat on Russia that will leave it too weak to cause trouble in the future, and its efforts to stifle China’s rise by restricting Beijing’s access to critical technological inputs while subsidizing the U.S. semiconductor industry."
>
> Will the US have a bright future in a Multipolar World?
> Stephen M. Walt thinks "Yes" as a Realist.
> In contrast, I suspect American leaders who had held on the Messianic idea of "city on the hill" which also promises easy lives for US politicians for too long think "NO".

Another issue is also what kind of multipolar world.
A multipolar world of nation-states and different from a multipolar world of civilizational states.

Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World

<434e12b5-a20b-4bde-878e-e3796d2cd172n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12197&group=soc.culture.china#12197

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:12:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:12 UTC

On Saturday, March 11, 2023 at 12:42:18 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Will the US have a bright future in a Multipolar World?
> > Stephen M. Walt thinks "Yes" as a Realist.
> > In contrast, I suspect American leaders who had held on the Messianic idea of "city on the hill" which also promises easy lives for US politicians for too long think "NO".
> Another issue is also what kind of multipolar world.
> A multipolar world of nation-states and different from a multipolar world of civilizational states.

What is the difference ?

Re: America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World

<063c8a96-c2ea-42e4-b286-ab372347ff0dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12199&group=soc.culture.china#12199

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:45:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 21:45 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 5:12:45 PM UTC, stoney wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Will the US have a bright future in a Multipolar World?
> > > Stephen M. Walt thinks "Yes" as a Realist.
> > > In contrast, I suspect American leaders who had held on the Messianic idea of "city on the hill" which also promises easy lives for US politicians for too long think "NO".
> > Another issue is also what kind of multipolar world.
> > A multipolar world of nation-states and different from a multipolar world of civilizational states.

A world of nation states are inherently unstable. Strong nation states are strong because they are
better at exploitation. Gun is emphasized at the expense of butter. Imperial/colonial as well as
capitalistic explotiation inevitably lead to violent conflicts such as continuous warfare among
European nations until the end of WWII. Various human rights, in reality civilizational patches/crutches,
were then invented and popularized.

Civilizational states have longer history and hence more mature. China is the prime example. East
Asian nations also have long history and have successful integrated elements of Chinese civilization,
are also more civilizational states than nation states.

In comparison to NS, CS in general has more balance between exploitation which would provide an
opportunity rich environment for the people on the one hand and nuturing the people which would
increase the people's ability and capability on the other hand. Nuturing the people necessitates greater
emphasis on butter over gun.

interests / soc.culture.china / America Is Too Scared of the Multipolar World