From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Groundhog death cancels Groundhog Day 2022 in New Jersey town
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 01:21:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 01:21 UTC

radioacti...@gmail.com <radioactiveseattle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure when the Milltown, New Jersey mascot died, but the town fathers killed today's celebration in the wake of Mel's untimely demise. (Expect all the usual yearly hoopla in neighboring Pennsylvania, though.)
>
> Also, NEVER FORGET that groundhog is synonymous with woodchuck, though the I
> prefer the former name, even though my annual exhortation--in the form of a
> rhetorical question--to locals in these parts works with EITHER term for the
> critter:
>
> How much ground could a groundhog hog, if a groundhog could, indeed, hog ground?

The form used by Walt Kelly in "Pogo",circa 1951,had George Woodchunk,
a creature of the referenced variety who had deviously agreed to help
Pogo and others find a groundhog before a friendly bear revealed the
synonymy,reply to Beauregard the hound dog's unsuccessful recitation
of the variant about a woodchuck chucking wood with "how much ground
round could a hound dog hog if a groundhog was round ground?"

> BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
> https://www.npr.org/2022/02/01/1077352159/groundhog-day-milltown-mel-dies

-=-=-

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Groundhog death cancels Groundhog Day 2022 in New Jersey town