From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Ridiculous meatloaf recipe controversy
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 02:29:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 02:29 UTC

Weber Grills apologizes for ill-timed meatloaf recipe email
1/21/2021
AP
https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-lifestyle-business-arts-and-entertainment-561d8b328d576dcef60f9da5ee922c98

BBQ Meat Loaf was the recipe of the week, sent in email.

Re: Ridiculous meatloaf recipe controversy

<cc6ed189-adff-4247-9143-31d2b52671d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11849&group=alt.obituaries#11849

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:48:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Ridiculous meatloaf recipe controversy
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 00:48 UTC

You're darned correct, Adam, in describing that silliness as ridiculous.

But THIS aspect of the late Marvin Aday's stage-name is downright STUPID, or at the very minimal, seriously ignorant.

That's because meatloaf (the frequently-maligned culinary dish) is correctly configured textually as a COMPOUND WORD--or, as all the semi-literate, English-class-snoozing hipsters so infuriatingly mis-phrase it, "with no spaces". But of course Meat Loaf (the ever-overwrought theatrical rocker) for some unfathomable reason even never bothered to check when settling on his nom de stage that it was correctly configured!

And that idiocy on Aday's part directly led to a minor footnote in rock music history--when many years ago the style-fussy* New York Times famously referred to Aday in an album [or perhaps concert?] review as "Mr. Loaf".

And THAT reminds me of something similar, and which I've NEVER seen addressed, though I shouldn't be surprised, given the grammatical prowess of most fans of so-called Modern Country** genre. It concerns the pair of twang-voiced musicians who record and perform as "Florida Georgia Line", whose grammatically-incorrect band name is a reference to the act's region of origin. Actually, ever more irritating than that annoying NAME of the group--which only is an issue in displayed text, not when someone only SAYS the band name--is their absolutely dreadful AND dischordant track [title?] that radio yakker Sean Hannity shoved in the ears of his ever-abused listeners as his OPENING THEME MUSIC for almost THREE years.

My point here, anyway, is that the band properly SHOULD be named Florida-Georgia Line, as anyone understanding the several PROFOUND differences between hyphens and dashes knows. (Yeah, I fully realize the only imaginable reason Hannity used that HORRIFICALLY lame track for his consistently-cloying commercial newstalk radio hosting work*** is that he's buddies with the two musicians. But while that's a fine reason to socialize with them, it is ZERO excuse to self-indulgently incorporate their positively unlistenable recording anywhere into his show, much LESS as its opening theme music.)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
________________________________
* From my pedantic viewpoint, that is certainly to the NYT's CREDIT, not its detriment.
** And mind you, few music fans are greater partisans of CLASSIC country music than me--but the stuff heard on Country FM stations nowadays remains across the board HUGELY inferior to the three-chord melodic and lyrically simplicity generated during the 20th Century's middle decades by Ray Price, Patsy Cline, Lefty Frizzell, Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys, et al.
*** Actually, Hannity WAS one of the better RHLIII fill-in hosts on The EIB during the late '90s and early 2000s. But then Hannity became syndicated in his own right, and all but immediately discarded nearly every various polished Rush-ian hosting skill he absorbed while understudying The Master, such that his oft self-indulgent own show is now absolute aural punishment for his listeners...even IF a given radio tuner (such as myself) agrees with many or even most of his political stances. But I don't care HOW much I agree with a broadcast's POLITICS or ARTISTIC PREFERENCES--IF it's ALSO a poorly-delivered or confusingly-organized broadcast, as Hannity's sure is day in, day out. (And has anyone else herein ever noticed how Hannity inappropriately inserts "Y'know" and "like" in every other or third sentence he utters? Which, granted, is WAY better than pretty much EVERY sentence...as is practiced DAILY by Hannity's slow-witted--and SPECTACULARLY unfunny, in a middle-school class-clown sort of way--rival, the incorrigible broadcast demagogue Glenn Beck****.
**** Now, Beck just MIGHT hear through his headphones (and thus catch and delete before verbalizing) at least SOME of those incessant errors while executing HIS sorrowfully-sad excuse for a radio production, but INSTEAD his minimal brain-power is always consumed with conjuring whatever quasi-philosophical musing with which he's next going to bombard his listeners. (And if Beck HIMSELF won't even listen to his OWN juvenile phrasing in hopes of catching those HUNDREDS of ugly-to-the-ear "uh"s, "y'know"s and "like"s***** which litter his sophomoric schtick like verbal trash...then why oh why on earth should anyone ELSE listen to him?!?
***** You may ALSO have noticed (AND been annoyed by!) that the onetime young softball athlete Thomas Schneider of Dayton, Ohio--exclusively known THESE days as Amy the Jeopardy! phenom from Oakland, California--is yet ANOTHER world-class "y'knower" and "liker"! Oh, how I wish interim host Ken Jennings would call him/her on his/her verbal refuse, for such patter during the interview segments night after night is tarnishing the quiz show's intellectual reputation which it started earning in 1964 under the late, FAR-greater-than-Trebek Art Fleming.

Re: Ridiculous meatloaf recipe controversy

<st2ljv$30t$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11878&group=alt.obituaries#11878

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 06:07:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 06:07 UTC

radioacti...@gmail.com <radioactiveseattle@gmail.com> wrote:
> ***** You may ALSO have noticed (AND been annoyed by!) that the onetime young
> softball athlete Thomas Schneider of Dayton, Ohio--exclusively known THESE days
> as Amy the Jeopardy! phenom from Oakland, California--is yet ANOTHER world-class
> "y'knower" and "liker"! Oh, how I wish interim host Ken Jennings would call
> him/her on his/her verbal refuse, for such patter during the interview segments
> night after night is tarnishing the quiz show's intellectual reputation which it
> started earning in 1964 under the late, FAR-greater-than-Trebek Art Fleming.

So did softball questions play a part in Schneider's competitive success?

http://www.put.com/genderButton.jpg

-=-=-

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Ridiculous meatloaf recipe controversy