It is easy when we are in prosperity to give advice to the afflicted. -- Aeschylus

interests / alt.obituaries / Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz critic

SubjectAuthor
* Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz criticDiner
`* Re: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz criticJ.D. Baldwin
 `* Re: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz criticThat Derek
  `* Re: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz criticA Friend
   `- Re: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz criticLouis Epstein

1
Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz critic

<0381b516-b43a-4cc0-8a1f-d6b39bc77ef4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11730&group=alt.obituaries#11730

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:29:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz critic
From: bwayst...@gmail.com (Diner)
 by: Diner - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:29 UTC

One of my favorite writers.
And judging from his Twitter feed, one of my favorite people.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/terry-teachout-wall-street-journal-drama-critic-dies-at-age-65-11642115600
Terry Teachout, Wall Street Journal Drama Critic, Dies at Age 65
Missouri-born author and musician wrote biographies of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and H.L. Mencken
By James R. Hagerty
Jan. 13, 2022 6:13 pm ET

Terry Teachout, a prolific New York-based biographer and essayist who wrote exuberantly about drama for The Wall Street Journal, died early Thursday at a friend’s home in Smithtown, N.Y. He was 65.

His companion, Cheril Mulligan, said a cause of death hadn’t yet been determined.

Mr. Teachout had written drama reviews for The Journal regularly since 2003.. “He could never be pigeonholed,” said Eric Gibson, editor of the Journal’s Arts in Review pages. “Terry was never predictable.”

He was known for his biographies of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, George Balanchine and H.L. Mencken. He also wrote plays and librettos.

Born Feb. 6, 1956, he grew up in Sikeston, Mo. His father was a hardware salesman, and his mother was a receptionist and secretary. Mr. Teachout evoked his childhood in a 1991 memoir, “City Limits: Memories of a Small-Town Boy.”

Sikeston, he wrote, was “still a place where people salute the flag and don’t ask for receipts, where everybody knows who your parents were and what they did for a living. It is narrow and kind and decent and good, and I am blessed to have been raised in its shabby, forgiving bosom.”

As a teenager, he had the role of the fiddler in a local production of “Fiddler on the Roof” and played in a country band called Sour Mash.

In 1979, he graduated from William Jewell College in Liberty, Mo., where he studied journalism and music. He then worked as a bank teller in Kansas City, Mo., and wrote reviews for the Kansas City Star while finding gigs as a jazz bassist and striving to establish himself as a writer. Unsatisfied with his progress there, he moved to New York in the 1980s.

He obtained an editing internship at Harper’s magazine and later wrote editorials for the New York Daily News. He also worked as a contributor of essays and criticism for a variety of publications, including the National Review, while establishing himself as a biographer.

His wife, Hilary Dyson Teachout, died in 2020 after a double-lung transplant. He is survived by a brother, David Teachout.

In an October blog post, he announced that he had fallen in love with Ms. Mulligan and described her as “a theater-and-film buff.”

On Twitter, he described himself as a “critic, biographer, playwright, director, unabashed Steely Dan fan, ardent philosemite.”

Though he led a sophisticated life of culture in New York, Mr. Teachout retained some of his small-town earnestness. “I still wear plaid shirts and think in Central Standard Time,” he wrote in his memoir. “I still eat tuna casserole with potato chips on top and worry about whether the farmers back home will get enough rain this year.”

Copyright ©2022 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Re: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz critic

<srqget$b0d$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11731&group=alt.obituaries#11731

From: INVALID_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz critic
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 00:34:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: J.D. Baldwin - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 00:34 UTC

In the previous article, Diner <bwaystars@gmail.com> wrote:
> One of my favorite writers.
> And judging from his Twitter feed, one of my favorite people.

His Mencken chrestomathy is a must-own for any aspiring wise-ass.
\ / baldwin@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Re: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz critic

<159b3870-f15d-4e06-aeef-25380e61c299n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11735&group=alt.obituaries#11735

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 07:04:18 -0800 (PST)
From: thatde...@yahoo.com (That Derek)
 by: That Derek - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 15:04 UTC

Cool surname!

Wasn’t there a recent upstate New York politico with the more extreme nomenclature Zephyr Teachout?

> ***~~~~----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz critic

<140120221019409620%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11737&group=alt.obituaries#11737

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 10:19:40 -0500
 by: A Friend - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 15:19 UTC

In article <159b3870-f15d-4e06-aeef-25380e61c299n@googlegroups.com>,
That Derek <thatderek@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Cool surname!
>
> Wasn’t there a recent upstate New York politico with the more extreme
> nomenclature Zephyr Teachout?

Yeppers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zephyr_Teachout

Re: Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz critic

<srtmn7$roi$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11744&group=alt.obituaries#11744

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 05:39:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 05:39 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <159b3870-f15d-4e06-aeef-25380e61c299n@googlegroups.com>,
> That Derek <thatderek@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Cool surname!
>>
>> Wasn?t there a recent upstate New York politico with the more extreme
>> nomenclature Zephyr Teachout?
>

> Yeppers.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zephyr_Teachout

No relation?...and do Teachouts do teach-ins?

-=-=-

interests / alt.obituaries / Terry Teachout, 65, drama and jazz critic