Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 15:40:47 -0800 (PST)
<9c82d499-bb04-4e85-b778-59b357586b62n@googlegroups.com> <8dcfdf08-42eb-46d4-909f-ba6ef0b9ece1n@googlegroups.com>
<dd8765a7-d308-49ab-af48-048b0ec3a115n@googlegroups.com> <6abb7312-f3db-46e0-92e5-a7ec657388c7n@googlegroups.com>
<a2a51036-4ba1-4acf-aca6-943b129fcd83n@googlegroups.com> <f9292d92-9e32-4847-b6f0-3fc5639e1f87n@googlegroups.com>
<9c6f2743-8551-41aa-b010-c586ddd69c01n@googlegroups.com> <db13279d-a028-449d-a7f1-ebb02bd5d2e6n@googlegroups.com>
<89c5f045-72fc-4bdf-83ae-e3adde50a4a7n@googlegroups.com> <391810fb-6e7d-42a0-8b66-21a47387ade4n@googlegroups.com>
<08b28cb1-8b0d-406a-84fe-1d3f97dc45d1n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: The most beautiful and devastating tactical concept
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:40 UTC

On Monday, December 4, 2023 at 1:18:19 AM UTC-5, Eli Kesef wrote:
> On Monday, December 4, 2023 at 1:08:55 AM UTC+2, William Hyde wrote:
> > On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 5:37:19 PM UTC-5, Eli Kesef wrote:
> > > Bs"d
> > >
> > > In this game: https://lichess.org/ThShKJVQswhJ a royal horse fork ended the game.
> > >
> > > The enemy surrendered before I could execute the fork. It would have netted me 9 points, while I was already 3 points ahead.
> > Usually I can only beat levels five and six in endgames - shows a lack of tactics and attacking imagination in my play nowadays.
> >
> > But here's an exception.
> >
> > https://lichess.org/108UjLTg#70
> Bs"d
>
> Nice game. But on move 23 I would have taken the horse with the queen, and not with the castle, by doing so I would check the king, and save my castle from the enemy horse.
>
> Of course then I would have missed out on the mate in 9 which the machine says is in the position, but things like mate in 9 I don't see anyway, so that would have been of no consequence. I go for the material.

Either wins. I certainly did not see mate in nine, but I knew there was a mate.

> > Development matters! Neither of its rooks left their square of origin. (Or R1, as can be said in the more concise and clearly
> > superior descriptive notation!).
> I'm afraid I have to disagree here with you. I understand that you had the misfortune to grow up with the descriptive notation, and maybe you are too old to make the switch, but of course, the algebraic notation is far superior, far more logical, and shorter (in the vast majority of cases) then the descriptive notation.

Never makes jokes on usnet, it seems.

Of course algebraic is superior. Most of the time. But descriptive recognizes the symmetry of the board, and as a physicist I know
that symmetry is the most important thing in the universe. So I tend to point out those few times when the symmetry of descriptive
allows for greater clarity.

Even people who have never used descriptive talk about the value of a rook on the seventh rank. Which, if taken literally by algebraic
users, would turn out very badly for black.

My early score sheets were in descriptive, later algebraic, all inaccurate.

William Hyde