Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 20:29:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Peter Petri, 90, premier bellman at San Francisco's St. Francis
hotel; became an institution during his 61 years there
From: lugo...@yahoo.com (RSV Pini)
 by: RSV Pini - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 04:29 UTC

On Thursday, January 18, 2007 at 9:55:10 AM UTC-8, Hoodini wrote:
> Peter Petri -- top bellman at the St. Francis for decades
> Carl Nolte, Chronicle Staff Writer
> Wednesday, January 17, 2007
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/17/BAGP8NJSUN1.DTL
> Peter Petri was a man who carried the luggage of the rich and famous
> with such style that he became a San Francisco institution himself.
> Mr. Petri welcomed travelers and San Franciscans to the St. Francis
> hotel for 61 years and three months, first as an elevator operator and
> then, after World War II, as the hotel's premier bellman. Mr. Petri,
> who retired when he turned 80 in 1996, died of congestive heart
> failure on Christmas Eve at the age of 90.
> There will be a celebration of his long life and times Thursday at 3
> p.m. at Victor's Palace at the St. Francis.
> "People were always glad to see him. He welcomed people from all over
> the world to the St. Francis,'' said his son, Michael Petri, who
> carries on the family tradition by being a doorman at the hotel.
> "He knew people from all over the world,'' Michael Petri said, "and
> the whole world comes to San Francisco.''
> Mr. Petri carried bags for everyone who was anyone in his day --
> presidents, movie stars, foreign dignitaries, celebrities and regular
> guests. He also assisted San Franciscans in the days when the St.
> Francis had permanent guests who made their home in the hotel.
> Some of the more famous guests would need two or three bellmen to help
> with all their bags. Mr. Petri's guests included Presidents Dwight
> Eisenhower and Richard Nixon, Gen. Douglas MacArthur, and celebrities
> like Bette Davis, Jack Dempsey, Bing Crosby, John Wayne, Marilyn
> Monroe, Rita Hayworth, Jean Harlow, Perry Como, Merv Griffin and
> Xavier Cugat.
> Mr. Petri had a number of stories about his famous guests. Bette
> Davis, he told a hotel industry magazine once, was "a very moody
> person.'' John Wayne sent him out to get a bottle of liquor and then
> invited Mr. Petri to have a drink with him. Mr. Petri hesitated at
> first, because drinking on the job was strictly against the rules.
> But, said the younger Petri, it was difficult to refuse to have a
> drink with the likes of John Wayne.
> Mr. Petri also had other requests from the famous. Jean Harlow sent
> him out to buy a lot of milk so she could take a milk bath; Marilyn
> Monroe wanted a lot of ice, to keep her famous chest cool and firm.
> There were other stories about celebrities that Mr. Petri kept to himself.
> "He would tell stories to a certain extent,'' Michael Petri said, but
> when asked for more tales of the rich and famous, he would say, 'I'm
> going to take that one with me.' ''
> Sometimes, his silences were golden. "You don't want to talk about
> Nixon,'' he said of the former president.
> "Discretion was the better part of valor for him,'' his son said.
> Mr. Petri was born in Lucca, Italy, in 1916 and came to the United
> States when he was 11. His family settled in San Francisco's North
> [...]

Pete retired and stayed in Redwood City, where he lived from at least the late 1970s. He was a good man and I remember him well.

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Peter Petri, 90, premier bellman at San Francisco's St. Francis hotel; became an institution during his 61 years there