From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: Putin as product of the Russian mentality and culture v. Saudi Kingdom as product of USA realpolitik mentality and culture
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:47:50 +0100
sha1:m+Ji3Q6XzxBBotvKEzxN+ro3HE0=
 by: A. Filip - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 17:47 UTC

"David P." <imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:
> QUORA: Is Putin a product of the Russian mentality and culture?
> answered by Susanna Viljanen, Works at Aalto University, June 28
>
> Definitely. The former President of Finland, Juho Kusti Paasikivi (as
> President 1946–1956) described the modus operandi of the Russian
> society as such:
>
> "The immutable Russian policy is to get whatever they can with the
> least possible effort, and then ask for more. They never sacrifice
> their immediate benefits for future goals. They never take into
> account what has been said, but what has been done. They try to exact
> a high price for anything that they understand they have to do in any
> case. They are immune to ethical, humanitarian and abstract juridical
> arguments, being affected only by practical and realistic points of
> view."
> […]

It would be much more convincing without (economic) failure of "Yeltsin
democratization", wouldn't it? <irony> Parliamentary democracy is also
based on: You do not have to be good - It is enough to be the best
(available choice). </irony> So, Putin may be also seen as a product of
the Russian mentality and culture *BUT* there was a *wasted* chance to
make Russians keep "more western" approach. Ruling by "not too big"
parliamentary majority discourages bold/risky moves *usually*.

BTE <irony> Isn't Saudi Kingdom a product of American realpolitik in
worldwide export of "freedom and democracy"? </irony>

--
A. Filip : Big (Tech) Brother is watching you.
| Honesty is for the most part less profitable than dishonesty.
| (Plato)

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Putin as product of the Russian mentality and culture v. Saudi Kingdom as product of USA realpolitik mentality and culture