What this country needs is a dime that will buy a good five-cent bagel.

interests / soc.culture.china / David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraine

SubjectAuthor
* David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraineltlee1
`* Re: David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraineltlee1
 +- Re: David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukrainestoney
 `* Re: David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraineltlee1
  `- Re: David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraineltlee1

1
David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraine

<4719b846-1c13-4205-8404-abebdf868759n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11364&group=soc.culture.china#11364

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 13:44:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraine
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 20:44 UTC

Lexpress.fr had published its interview with David Petraeus yesterday.
https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/idees-et-debats/david-petraeus-ex-cia-une-force-dirigee-par-les-etats-unis-pourrait-intervenir-en-ukraine_2182249.html

I don't know French and don't know how much to rely on Google Translate.
Yet, the following stands out.

"I think the red line for NATO is directly related to the collective self-defense commitment of article 5, that is to say an attack against a NATO member country. Having said that, I think it is possible that Russia could take an action in Ukraine that would be so shocking and so horrific that the United States and other countries might react in one way or another, but as a force multinational led by the United States and not as a NATO force."

Looks like the US is trying to set a precedence for using NATO ally forces world wide.

Re: David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraine

<a8d76146-6cd3-4b03-bd56-7d9641021e9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11368&group=soc.culture.china#11368

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 07:53:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 14:53 UTC

On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 8:44:47 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> Lexpress.fr had published its interview with David Petraeus yesterday.
> https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/idees-et-debats/david-petraeus-ex-cia-une-force-dirigee-par-les-etats-unis-pourrait-intervenir-en-ukraine_2182249.html
>
> I don't know French and don't know how much to rely on Google Translate.
> Yet, the following stands out.
>
> "I think the red line for NATO is directly related to the collective self-defense commitment of article 5, that is to say an attack against a NATO member country. Having said that, I think it is possible that Russia could take an action in Ukraine that would be so shocking and so horrific that the United States and other countries might react in one way or another, but as a force multinational led by the United States and not as a NATO force."
>
> Looks like the US is trying to set a precedence for using NATO ally forces world wide.

Another reason for direct intervention is America/NATO appears to be weak and ineffective.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, "Putin bears full responsibility for this war.
And it is his responsibility to end it. To end the immense suffering of the brave Ukrainian
people. To end the energy and food crisis that is affecting so many around the world.

If Russia stops fighting, there will be peace. If Ukraine stops fighting, it will cease to exist
as an independent sovereign nation in Europe."

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/opinions_207788.htm

Re: David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraine

<edd451cd-3369-4926-9a45-463f5ff91e96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11374&group=soc.culture.china#11374

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 12:14:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:14 UTC

On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 10:53:42 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 8:44:47 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> > Lexpress.fr had published its interview with David Petraeus yesterday.
> > https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/idees-et-debats/david-petraeus-ex-cia-une-force-dirigee-par-les-etats-unis-pourrait-intervenir-en-ukraine_2182249.html
> >
> > I don't know French and don't know how much to rely on Google Translate..
> > Yet, the following stands out.
> >
> > "I think the red line for NATO is directly related to the collective self-defense commitment of article 5, that is to say an attack against a NATO member country. Having said that, I think it is possible that Russia could take an action in Ukraine that would be so shocking and so horrific that the United States and other countries might react in one way or another, but as a force multinational led by the United States and not as a NATO force."
> >
> > Looks like the US is trying to set a precedence for using NATO ally forces world wide.
> Another reason for direct intervention is America/NATO appears to be weak and ineffective.
>
> NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, "Putin bears full responsibility for this war.
> And it is his responsibility to end it. To end the immense suffering of the brave Ukrainian
> people. To end the energy and food crisis that is affecting so many around the world.
>
> If Russia stops fighting, there will be peace. If Ukraine stops fighting, it will cease to exist
> as an independent sovereign nation in Europe."
>
> https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/opinions_207788.htm

If US goes in, the turmoil will end in US instead.

Re: David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraine

<fc0ead1a-aa13-434c-836d-89a65fd1e2c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11434&group=soc.culture.china#11434

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 10:19:36 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 18:19 UTC

On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 2:53:42 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 8:44:47 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> > Lexpress.fr had published its interview with David Petraeus yesterday.
> > https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/idees-et-debats/david-petraeus-ex-cia-une-force-dirigee-par-les-etats-unis-pourrait-intervenir-en-ukraine_2182249.html
> >
> > I don't know French and don't know how much to rely on Google Translate..
> > Yet, the following stands out.
> >
> > "I think the red line for NATO is directly related to the collective self-defense commitment of article 5, that is to say an attack against a NATO member country. Having said that, I think it is possible that Russia could take an action in Ukraine that would be so shocking and so horrific that the United States and other countries might react in one way or another, but as a force multinational led by the United States and not as a NATO force."
> >
> > Looks like the US is trying to set a precedence for using NATO ally forces world wide.
> Another reason for direct intervention is America/NATO appears to be weak and ineffective.
>
> NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, "Putin bears full responsibility for this war.
> And it is his responsibility to end it. To end the immense suffering of the brave Ukrainian
> people. To end the energy and food crisis that is affecting so many around the world.
>
> If Russia stops fighting, there will be peace. If Ukraine stops fighting, it will cease to exist
> as an independent sovereign nation in Europe."
>
> https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/opinions_207788.htm

A French answer via its former Chief of Staff.
https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1590250009282449409
Pierre de Villiers: "La guerre en Ukraine n'est pas l'intérêt des pays européens, certainement pas de la France, peut-être des Américains"

Internet translation:
"The war in Ukraine is not in the interest of European countries, certainly not of France, perhaps of the Americans."

Re: David Petraeus Pitching for US-led direct involvement in Ukraine

<44f578ef-dabc-499e-b423-58801cb408fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11440&group=soc.culture.china#11440

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 09:28:40 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 17:28 UTC

On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 6:19:38 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 2:53:42 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> > On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 8:44:47 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > Lexpress.fr had published its interview with David Petraeus yesterday..
> > > https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/idees-et-debats/david-petraeus-ex-cia-une-force-dirigee-par-les-etats-unis-pourrait-intervenir-en-ukraine_2182249.html
> > >
> > > I don't know French and don't know how much to rely on Google Translate.
> > > Yet, the following stands out.
> > >
> > > "I think the red line for NATO is directly related to the collective self-defense commitment of article 5, that is to say an attack against a NATO member country. Having said that, I think it is possible that Russia could take an action in Ukraine that would be so shocking and so horrific that the United States and other countries might react in one way or another, but as a force multinational led by the United States and not as a NATO force."
> > >
> > > Looks like the US is trying to set a precedence for using NATO ally forces world wide.
> > Another reason for direct intervention is America/NATO appears to be weak and ineffective.
> >
> > NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, "Putin bears full responsibility for this war.
> > And it is his responsibility to end it. To end the immense suffering of the brave Ukrainian
> > people. To end the energy and food crisis that is affecting so many around the world.
> >
> > If Russia stops fighting, there will be peace. If Ukraine stops fighting, it will cease to exist
> > as an independent sovereign nation in Europe."
> >
> > https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/opinions_207788.htm
> A French answer via its former Chief of Staff.
> https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1590250009282449409
> Pierre de Villiers: "La guerre en Ukraine n'est pas l'intérêt des pays européens, certainement pas de la France, peut-être des Américains"
>
> Internet translation:
> "The war in Ukraine is not in the interest of European countries, certainly not of France, perhaps of the Americans."

According to Mike Whitney, "The Stage is Set for US Combat Troops in Ukraine"
https://www.unz.com/mwhitney/the-stage-is-set-for-us-combat-troops-in-ukraine/?

Cutting to the chase, Russian positions are:
1. "no more simply defending southern Ukraine and the territory we’ve annexed..."
2. "no more expectations of negotiations with anyone– those are over– we have to end the war. "
3. “A Syrian solution for Ukraine is unacceptable.” In other words, we will not allow Ukraine to fall
under the influence of various actors that maintain Ukraine in a state of permanent turmoil and
war.

The above suggest a winter operation is coming. How will US respond?
"if Russia escalated, presumably– on the scale that we think the Russians will escalate– that we
(the US) might be prepared to jump in. And we would jump in with 40,000 US troops, 30,000 Polish
troops and 20,000 Romanian troops….. Sullivan made it clear that we are in a position to intervene.”

Mike Whitney is certainly not a MSM journalist. He is supposedly some kind Russian expert.
I am in no position to evaluate his expertise or reliability. Yet part of his above article was
quote in
https://www.pravda.ru/world/1769826-ukhod_iz_khersona/ .