People are always available for work in the past tense.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises questions about who is still safe.

SubjectAuthor
* Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises questions Oleg Smirnov
+* Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises questions Oleg Smirnov
|`- Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raisesbmoore
`- Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raisesltlee1

1
Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises questions about who is still safe.

<tjo6k1$fkbc$1@os.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11321&group=soc.culture.china#11321

From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises questions about who is still safe.
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:59:28 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:59 UTC

> A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises
> questions about who is still safe.
> By Anatoly Kurmanaev, Oct. 28, 2022, NY Times
>
> One of the best-known Russian public figures who has often criticized
> the government has left the country, shocking many in a nation that
> has grown accustomed to steadily diminishing dissent.
>
> Ksenia Sobchak, who has challenged Putin at the polls while sometimes
> appearing to accommodate his agenda, entered Lithuania on an Israeli
> passport, Lithuania's foreign minister, Gabrielius Landsbergis, told
> reporters on Thursday. Videos posted on social media hours earlier
> had appeared to show Sobchak, 40, crossing a border.

In fact, Ksenia Sobchak is not a politician in Russia but much more
like a scandalous celebrity. She became first known as a presenter
in some controversial-bawdy TV shows in the mid-2000s, and her career
was successful mainly due to her parents and her links with Putin. Her
mother since the 1990s remains a 3rd-tier functionary in the Russia's
politics <https://is.gd/enHZAk>, and her father was a bold politician
in the very early 1990s, when he became mayor of St.Petersburg. Putin
was her father's assistant <https://is.gd/ITscSK> at the time. There
was also an urban legend that Putin is her godfather, which was later
refuted, but this legend helped her career (somewhat similarly to the
way "Putin's brain" legend helped promotion of controversial Dugin).

The Ksenia Sobchak's "criticizing the government" was usually more a
form of epatage behavior rather than a substantive criticism, which
also was often combined with elements of arrogance towards populace.
So her popularity within Russia is more scandalously-negative rather
then positive. As she has fled Russia recently, there were many
comments in the Russian social networks that it would be nice if she
never came back.

From an intellectual perspective, she's quite a stupid lady, - such a
kind of the Russian "liberals" who uncritically pick up some cliches
from the discourse in the Western media and seek to retell it within
Russia under a naive belief that no one within Russia except them can
read the Western media firsthand.

Some additional piquancy of her exit from Russia is also linked with
the fact that she told the domestic public for a long time that she
doesn't have any second citizenship, but, in fact, it turned out that
she managed well to get an Israeli passport, which she used to enter
Lithuania.

In Russia and many post-Soviet states, Ksenia Sobchak is subject to
certain memes and jokes. The netizens used to brand her as "horse" or
"horse head", because of her appearance, e.g.: "Princess Horse:
Ksenia Sobchak was ridiculed for a photo .." <https://is.gd/DmpYBr>
(a headline in a Kazakhstan's outlet). Also many humorous web-sites
offer compilations of jokes dedicated to Ksenia Sobchak, for example
<https://is.gd/drE2H7> (read it through machine translation).

Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises questions about who is still safe.

<tjqkgs$o9h2$1@os.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11328&group=soc.culture.china#11328

From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 11:12:55 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 08:12 UTC

David P., <news:914f57dd-4dcf-4338-8a92-d7b60ea970f7n@googlegroups.com>
> Oleg Smirnov wrote:

> Principles are more important than personalities!

So the best thing you can do is to kill yourself.

Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises questions about who is still safe.

<40a3e85f-25b2-4ae4-9205-a2a3439c27fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11329&group=soc.culture.china#11329

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 03:12:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises
questions about who is still safe.
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 10:12 UTC

On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 7:31:28 AM UTC, David P. wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Some additional piquancy of her exit from Russia is also linked with
> > the fact that she told the domestic public for a long time that she
> > doesn't have any second citizenship, but, in fact, it turned out that
> > she managed well to get an Israeli passport, which she used to enter
> > Lithuania.
> >
> > In Russia and many post-Soviet states, Ksenia Sobchak is subject to
> > certain memes and jokes. The netizens used to brand her as "horse" or
> > "horse head", because of her appearance, e.g.: "Princess Horse:
> > Ksenia Sobchak was ridiculed for a photo .." <https://is.gd/DmpYBr>
> > (a headline in a Kazakhstan's outlet). Also many humorous web-sites
> > offer compilations of jokes dedicated to Ksenia Sobchak, for example
> > <https://is.gd/drE2H7> (read it through machine translation).
> ---------------
> Principles are more important than personalities!
Almost all currently espoused Atlanticist political principles corrupt when practiced.
Hot and principled personality?

https://www.12thblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/ksenia-sobchak-28-683x1024.jpg

Re: A government-connected Kremlin critic's flight from Russia raises questions about who is still safe.

<7f338285-3371-4418-86e4-da0a945a2386n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11349&group=soc.culture.china#11349

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 09:26:25 -0700 (PDT)
questions about who is still safe.
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 16:26 UTC

On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 8:48:34 AM UTC-7, David P. wrote:
> Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> > David P. wrote:
> > > Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > Principles are more important than personalities!
> > So the best thing you can do is to kill yourself.
> You're not my Higher Power; you're just *pretending* to be! lol

Heh.