Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 21:57:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: as is vs as it is.
From: hongyi.z...@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 05:57 UTC

See the following instruction here [1]:

```
The THERMO_PW code is designed, written, and maintained by Andrea Dal Corso (SISSA - Trieste). It is an open source code distributed, as is, within the GPL license.
```
Can I change the "as is" used above into "as it is"?

[1] https://people.sissa.it/~dalcorso/thermo_pw/user_guide/node3.html

Regards
HZ

Re: as is vs as it is.

<mn.ed507e61c418dab5.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=112812&group=alt.usage.english#112812

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: as is vs as it is.
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 22:40:56 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 06:40 UTC

hongy...@gmail.com submitted this idea :
> See the following instruction here [1]:
>
> ```
> The THERMO_PW code is designed, written, and maintained by Andrea Dal Corso
> (SISSA - Trieste). It is an open source code distributed, as is, within the
> GPL license. ``` Can I change the "as is" used above into "as it is"?

No, "as is" is a set phrase being to indicate that what you see is what
you get, no warranties and no support.

It is often used to describe sales of used items, such as cars: "1985
Chrysler New York sold as is to best offer".

It often means that you should expect problems with the item, because
the seller has stopped trying to fix it. If you're the type that
repairs cars (professionally or recreationally), it may still be worth
it to you, but someone who doesn't know a spark plug from a spanner
should think twice before buying and then think again.

> [1] https://people.sissa.it/~dalcorso/thermo_pw/user_guide/node3.html
>
> Regards
> HZ

/dps

--
Trust, but verify.

interests / alt.usage.english / as is vs as it is.