Big M, Little M, many mumbling mice Are making midnight music in the moonlight, Mighty nice!

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?

SubjectAuthor
* Is Liberal Democracy Dying?ltlee1
+- Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?stoney
+* Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?wog wacker
|`- Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?ltlee1
`- Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?ltlee1

1
Is Liberal Democracy Dying?

<d6d35f27-7eba-47bd-a2a0-3fd8268029b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11052&group=soc.culture.china#11052

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:24:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:24 UTC

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/28/opinion/italy-meloni-democracy-authoritarianism.html
"Last weekend, voters in Italy handed the reins of government to a coalition led by a party directly descended from Benito Mussolini’s fascist dictatorship, delivering one of the biggest victories to the far right in Europe since World War II. “Today is a sad day for Italy,” said the leader of Italy’s center-left Democratic Party, who during the campaign had cast the contest as nothing less than a fight to save the country’s democracy.

If such language sounds familiar to American ears, it’s because countries around the world, including the United States, are confronting what experts say is a worldwide wave of democratic backsliding. According to data from V-Dem, a monitoring institute based in Sweden — where, as it happens, a far-right party with roots in neo-Nazism made a strong electoral showing two weeks ago — more democracies were deteriorating, and even slipping into autocracy, in 2021 than at any point in the past 50 years.

What explains the global resurgence of authoritarian politics, and what does it portend for the future of democracy? Here’s what people are saying."

People saying a lot things. The 'WHY' is one of the following:
Choose one of the following:
a. Liberal democracy is not real democracy
b. Democracy is a bad system.

Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?

<36555ff9-1412-4b21-a79a-dbf159ed1ea0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11074&group=soc.culture.china#11074

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 20:10:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 03:10 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 5:24:14 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/28/opinion/italy-meloni-democracy-authoritarianism.html
> "Last weekend, voters in Italy handed the reins of government to a coalition led by a party directly descended from Benito Mussolini’s fascist dictatorship, delivering one of the biggest victories to the far right in Europe since World War II. “Today is a sad day for Italy,” said the leader of Italy’s center-left Democratic Party, who during the campaign had cast the contest as nothing less than a fight to save the country’s democracy.
>
> If such language sounds familiar to American ears, it’s because countries around the world, including the United States, are confronting what experts say is a worldwide wave of democratic backsliding. According to data from V-Dem, a monitoring institute based in Sweden — where, as it happens, a far-right party with roots in neo-Nazism made a strong electoral showing two weeks ago — more democracies were deteriorating, and even slipping into autocracy, in 2021 than at any point in the past 50 years.
>
> What explains the global resurgence of authoritarian politics, and what does it portend for the future of democracy? Here’s what people are saying."
>
> People saying a lot things. The 'WHY' is one of the following:
> Choose one of the following:
> a. Liberal democracy is not real democracy
> b. Democracy is a bad system.

Democracy is indeed a bad system as otherwise there won't be so many problems affecting the lives of millions of people in their country. There is a need create a new word for it.

Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?

<530dfe4f-ff47-4b07-96bb-69aee48d9a91n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11076&group=soc.culture.china#11076

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 01:42:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: wogwac...@gmail.com (wog wacker)
 by: wog wacker - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 08:42 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 9:24:14 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/28/opinion/italy-meloni-democracy-authoritarianism.html
> "Last weekend, voters in Italy handed the reins of government to a coalition led by a party directly descended from Benito Mussolini’s fascist dictatorship, delivering one of the biggest victories to the far right in Europe since World War II. “Today is a sad day for Italy,” said the leader of Italy’s center-left Democratic Party, who during the campaign had cast the contest as nothing less than a fight to save the country’s democracy.
>
> If such language sounds familiar to American ears, it’s because countries around the world, including the United States, are confronting what experts say is a worldwide wave of democratic backsliding. According to data from V-Dem, a monitoring institute based in Sweden — where, as it happens, a far-right party with roots in neo-Nazism made a strong electoral showing two weeks ago — more democracies were deteriorating, and even slipping into autocracy, in 2021 than at any point in the past 50 years.
>
> What explains the global resurgence of authoritarian politics, and what does it portend for the future of democracy? Here’s what people are saying."
>
> People saying a lot things. The 'WHY' is one of the following:
> Choose one of the following:
> a. Liberal democracy is not real democracy
> b. Democracy is a bad system.

To answer the question, all you have to do is to look at senile, old Joe Biden.

Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?

<e839f7a7-7ace-4c4f-9374-56e47a29c3b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11077&group=soc.culture.china#11077

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 03:25:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 10:25 UTC

On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 8:42:40 AM UTC, wog wacker wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 9:24:14 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> > https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/28/opinion/italy-meloni-democracy-authoritarianism.html
> > "Last weekend, voters in Italy handed the reins of government to a coalition led by a party directly descended from Benito Mussolini’s fascist dictatorship, delivering one of the biggest victories to the far right in Europe since World War II. “Today is a sad day for Italy,” said the leader of Italy’s center-left Democratic Party, who during the campaign had cast the contest as nothing less than a fight to save the country’s democracy.
> >
> > If such language sounds familiar to American ears, it’s because countries around the world, including the United States, are confronting what experts say is a worldwide wave of democratic backsliding. According to data from V-Dem, a monitoring institute based in Sweden — where, as it happens, a far-right party with roots in neo-Nazism made a strong electoral showing two weeks ago — more democracies were deteriorating, and even slipping into autocracy, in 2021 than at any point in the past 50 years.
> >
> > What explains the global resurgence of authoritarian politics, and what does it portend for the future of democracy? Here’s what people are saying."
> >
> > People saying a lot things. The 'WHY' is one of the following:
> > Choose one of the following:
> > a. Liberal democracy is not real democracy
> > b. Democracy is a bad system.
> To answer the question, all you have to do is to look at senile, old Joe Biden.

OK. Many will agree that Joe Biden is now senile.
But Joe Biden was definitely not senile 30, 20, or 10 years ago.
He wanted to be the US president when he was younger.
And he achieves his goal.

What about liberal democracy? What is it supposed to achieve as a system?
Has it achieved what its designers and supporters want it to achieve?

Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?

<a9f21a56-5b4d-4dd2-9817-4831e19b006an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11130&group=soc.culture.china#11130

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 04:52:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:52 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 9:24:14 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/28/opinion/italy-meloni-democracy-authoritarianism.html
> "Last weekend, voters in Italy handed the reins of government to a coalition led by a party directly descended from Benito Mussolini’s fascist dictatorship, delivering one of the biggest victories to the far right in Europe since World War II. “Today is a sad day for Italy,” said the leader of Italy’s center-left Democratic Party, who during the campaign had cast the contest as nothing less than a fight to save the country’s democracy.
>
> If such language sounds familiar to American ears, it’s because countries around the world, including the United States, are confronting what experts say is a worldwide wave of democratic backsliding. According to data from V-Dem, a monitoring institute based in Sweden — where, as it happens, a far-right party with roots in neo-Nazism made a strong electoral showing two weeks ago — more democracies were deteriorating, and even slipping into autocracy, in 2021 than at any point in the past 50 years.
>
> What explains the global resurgence of authoritarian politics, and what does it portend for the future of democracy? Here’s what people are saying."
>
> People saying a lot things. The 'WHY' is one of the following:
> Choose one of the following:
> a. Liberal democracy is not real democracy
> b. Democracy is a bad system.

https://www.chinatimes.com/newspapers/20221017000541-260303?chdtv
"中國大陸時常強調制度自信、道路自信,在中共二十大報告上,更進一步將其明確為「中國式現代化」,大篇幅闡述「全過程人民民主」,與西方民主制度互別苗頭,矢言走出一條自己的路,更講明這樣的中國模式,是要為人類提供「新的選擇」。

習近平常提到「四個自信」,即道路、理論、制度、文化自信,簡言之就是中共對自身發展模式很有信心,信仰舉國體制、集中力量辦大事;在疫情第一年控制得當時,更堅定了大陸的制度自信。

此次二十大報告中,首次將「中國式現代化」寫進,習近平定義中國式現代化是人口規模巨大、人民共同富裕、物質和精神文明相協調、人與自然和諧共生、走和平發展道路的現代化,還稱本質要求是堅持中共領導,堅持中國特色社會主義,實現高品質發展,發展全過程人民民主等;習明確表態:「中國式現代化為人類實現現代化提供了新的選擇」。

二十大報告也因此特別以專門獨立篇章探討「全過程人民民主」,習近平稱這是「最廣泛、最真實、最管用的民主」,還可「保證人民依法實行民主選舉、民主協商、民主決策、民主管理、民主監督」,要全面發展協商民主,還要積極發展基層民主。

「捍衛民主」是西方國家近年來圍堵中國的一個重要號召,中國為了扭轉話語權,早在去年就與美國在「民主」議題有一番激烈交鋒。去年12月美國舉行「民主峰會」,台灣也受邀,北京在召開前一周,接連發布《中國的民主》白皮書、《美國民主情況》報告,對美國民主大加批判,並與許多亞非拉國家共同主辦「南南人權論壇」,較勁意味十足;中國社科院更於去年11月成立「社會主義民主研究中心」,不讓民主成為西方的專利。

「華盛頓共識vs.北京共識」是學術界常有的討論,意指不同於美國民主制度,中國發展出的政經模式被稱為「北京共識」。如今「中國式現代化」被正式提出,除了反映西方過去對中國的「和平演變」失敗,中國更要完全走出一條與西方不同的新路。"

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Is Liberal Democracy Dying?