From: 8d91297a...@example.com (LJ32)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Getting rid of 'water bugs'
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 19:15:02 +0000
 by: LJ32 - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 19:15 UTC

You're killing your pets with all that poison! First the Advantage/Frontline (have you even researched the side effects??). Then you bomb the house with Raid? That poison stays in your environment forever, endangering you and your pets, but they have no choice in the matter. And then, as if that weren't enough, you also spray indoors with Ortho Home Defense? Of course, you've killed everything, and not just the bugs! Your poor pets!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/getting-rid-of-water-bugs-383094-.htm

Re: Getting rid of 'water bugs'

<is716fFib0qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11116&group=alt.home.repair#11116

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 19:35:09 -0600
 by: rbowman - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 01:35 UTC

On 10/06/2021 01:15 PM, LJ32 wrote:
> You're killing your pets with all that poison! First the
> Advantage/Frontline (have you even researched the side effects??). Then
> you bomb the house with Raid? That poison stays in your environment
> forever, endangering you and your pets, but they have no choice in the
> matter. And then, as if that weren't enough, you also spray indoors with
> Ortho Home Defense? Of course, you've killed everything, and not just
> the bugs! Your poor pets!

Is 'water bug' an euphemism for cockroach? If so, they'll be the only
thing left alive.

Re: Getting rid of 'water bugs'

<Kds7J.33833$dI3.10044@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11118&group=alt.home.repair#11118

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 21:39:53 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 01:39 UTC

On 10/6/2021 9:35 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On 10/06/2021 01:15 PM, LJ32 wrote:
>> You're killing your pets with all that poison! First the
>> Advantage/Frontline (have you even researched the side effects??). Then
>> you bomb the house with Raid? That poison stays in your environment
>> forever, endangering you and your pets, but they have no choice in the
>> matter. And then, as if that weren't enough, you also spray indoors with
>> Ortho Home Defense? Of course, you've killed everything, and not just
>> the bugs! Your poor pets!
>>

> Is 'water bug' an euphemism for cockroach?  If so, they'll be the only
> thing left alive.

Yes, when I lived in Philly, no one had cockroaches except in the
minority areas. The rest had water bugs.

Re: Getting rid of 'water bugs'

<1ukslghqpg8hqqb02c7573733ru2bcgjkn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11121&group=alt.home.repair#11121

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 22:06:49 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 02:06 UTC

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 19:35:09 -0600, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:

>On 10/06/2021 01:15 PM, LJ32 wrote:
>> You're killing your pets with all that poison! First the
>> Advantage/Frontline (have you even researched the side effects??). Then
>> you bomb the house with Raid? That poison stays in your environment
>> forever, endangering you and your pets, but they have no choice in the
>> matter. And then, as if that weren't enough, you also spray indoors with
>> Ortho Home Defense? Of course, you've killed everything, and not just
>> the bugs! Your poor pets!
>>

>Is 'water bug' an euphemism for cockroach? If so, they'll be the only
>thing left alive.

Water bugs are American cockroaches, not to be confused with the
smaller Asian or German roach (the Germans call them French roaches).
In Florida the American cockroaches are palmetto bugs.
I am not sure about the northern versions but the southern "bug" is
pretty easy to kill, compared to the ones man has fought for 1000
years. They aren't immune to much. I Maced one once in Maryland at
the Giant Food warehouse when it came out of a machine I was working
on. That rolled it right over. I am guessing that is not the kind of
control the OP wants tho.
Start with Boric acid in places your pet can't get to. It is a fairly
benign poison anyway. The human fatal dose is up around an ounce.

Re: Getting rid of 'water bugs'

<sb3ulghnddhdv13pu7apep3hmcg4ldskp6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11156&group=alt.home.repair#11156

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 11:09:17 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 15:09 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 6 Oct 2021 21:39:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 10/6/2021 9:35 PM, rbowman wrote:
>> On 10/06/2021 01:15 PM, LJ32 wrote:
>>> You're killing your pets with all that poison! First the
>>> Advantage/Frontline (have you even researched the side effects??). Then
>>> you bomb the house with Raid? That poison stays in your environment
>>> forever, endangering you and your pets, but they have no choice in the
>>> matter. And then, as if that weren't enough, you also spray indoors with
>>> Ortho Home Defense? Of course, you've killed everything, and not just
>>> the bugs! Your poor pets!
>>>

>> Is 'water bug' an euphemism for cockroach?  If so, they'll be the only
>> thing left alive.
>
>Yes, when I lived in Philly, no one had cockroaches except in the
>minority areas. The rest had water bugs.

There is a difference between the two. Water bugs are fatter.

Re: Getting rid of 'water bugs'

<sjn6o5$pii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11165&group=alt.home.repair#11165

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 12:20:20 -0400
 by: Frank - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 16:20 UTC

On 10/6/2021 10:06 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 19:35:09 -0600, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/06/2021 01:15 PM, LJ32 wrote:
>>> You're killing your pets with all that poison! First the
>>> Advantage/Frontline (have you even researched the side effects??). Then
>>> you bomb the house with Raid? That poison stays in your environment
>>> forever, endangering you and your pets, but they have no choice in the
>>> matter. And then, as if that weren't enough, you also spray indoors with
>>> Ortho Home Defense? Of course, you've killed everything, and not just
>>> the bugs! Your poor pets!
>>>

>> Is 'water bug' an euphemism for cockroach? If so, they'll be the only
>> thing left alive.
>
> Water bugs are American cockroaches, not to be confused with the
> smaller Asian or German roach (the Germans call them French roaches).
> In Florida the American cockroaches are palmetto bugs.
> I am not sure about the northern versions but the southern "bug" is
> pretty easy to kill, compared to the ones man has fought for 1000
> years. They aren't immune to much. I Maced one once in Maryland at
> the Giant Food warehouse when it came out of a machine I was working
> on. That rolled it right over. I am guessing that is not the kind of
> control the OP wants tho.
> Start with Boric acid in places your pet can't get to. It is a fairly
> benign poison anyway. The human fatal dose is up around an ounce.

I wondered about them too as we had them but only in the basement where
there may have been access to water.

https://www.orkin.com/cockroaches/difference-between-a-waterbug-and-a-cockroach

Re: Getting rid of 'water bugs'

<5s5vlg9pota633ddv7qijnr3hm0fqif547@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11206&group=alt.home.repair#11206

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 21:15:34 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 01:15 UTC

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 12:20:20 -0400, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote:

>On 10/6/2021 10:06 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>>> Is 'water bug' an euphemism for cockroach? If so, they'll be the only
>>> thing left alive.
>>
>> Water bugs are American cockroaches, not to be confused with the
>> smaller Asian or German roach (the Germans call them French roaches).
>> In Florida the American cockroaches are palmetto bugs.
>> I am not sure about the northern versions but the southern "bug" is
>> pretty easy to kill, compared to the ones man has fought for 1000
>> years. They aren't immune to much. I Maced one once in Maryland at
>> the Giant Food warehouse when it came out of a machine I was working
>> on. That rolled it right over. I am guessing that is not the kind of
>> control the OP wants tho.
>> Start with Boric acid in places your pet can't get to. It is a fairly
>> benign poison anyway. The human fatal dose is up around an ounce.
>>

>I wondered about them too as we had them but only in the basement where
>there may have been access to water.
>
>https://www.orkin.com/cockroaches/difference-between-a-waterbug-and-a-cockroach

The one I killed at the Giant looked like a "Palmetto Bug" and may
have come up from Florida in a produce shipment. I only saw a few
water bugs in Maryland and I just assumed it was the same thing, just
darker. The Orkin site points out it is a different bug.
The Asian roaches I am thinking about are darker than the German
roach, about the same size (about 3/8" to maybe 7/16") but they have a
wider ass and I don't think they fly. The only time I ever dealt with
either of them was when I was in an apartment in Maryland and they are
tough to get rid of. One sloppy neighbor and everyone gets some. I
sprayed so much poison around I doubt anything could live in there. I
also had SOS pads stuffed in all the wall penetrations around pipes
and such. It did cut down on the invasion and I seldom saw any. I
was still real careful with anything I moved into my new house, not to
bring any with me.

You also need to be careful with stuff you buy. I got some German
roaches in a box of rigging equipment I ordered last month from
Louisiana. I sprayed the hell out of it with Bifen and put it outside.
So far so good.

One of my friends owned an exterminator company and invented a flea
killing process that he sold for over a million bucks. I learned a lot
about bugs from him. His non compete got him into the landscape
business, still killing bugs but not household bugs and fleas. I
learned a lot about Latinos from that business. He had about 100
working for him, probably most illegal but they had papers.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Getting rid of 'water bugs'