All great discoveries are made by mistake. -- Young

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Duke of Earl

SubjectAuthor
* Duke of EarlPeter Moylan
+* Re: Duke of EarlLewis
|`* Re: Duke of EarlPierre Jelenc
| `- Re: Duke of EarlLewis
+* Re: Duke of EarlJ. J. Lodder
|`* Re: Duke of EarlMack A. Damia
| `* Re: Duke of EarlJ. J. Lodder
|  +- Re: Duke of Earlspains...@gmail.com
|  `- Re: Duke of EarlMack A. Damia
`- Re: Duke of EarlTony Cooper

1
Duke of Earl

<ss0qva$d2h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109852&group=alt.usage.english#109852

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Duke of Earl
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:10:45 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 10:10 UTC

This is totally off-topic, I know, but I can't restrain my curiosity.

A certain royal person has had his sergeant's stripes ripped off, or
however they do it in the UK military, but he is still the Duke of York.
Presumably he still has the right to march his men to the top of the
hill, and march then down again.

But how does he pay them? Does the Duke still collect rents from the
peasants of York? If not, how does a Duke survive these days? It's not
as if they have any marketable skills.

Re: Duke of Earl

<slrnsu7sv3.15ak.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109854&group=alt.usage.english#109854

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Duke of Earl
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 10:31:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 10:31 UTC

In message <ss0qva$d2h$1@dont-email.me> Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:
> This is totally off-topic, I know, but I can't restrain my curiosity.

> A certain royal person has had his sergeant's stripes ripped off, or
> however they do it in the UK military, but he is still the Duke of York.
> Presumably he still has the right to march his men to the top of the
> hill, and march then down again.

I don't think that is an actual right of Dukes anymore.

> But how does he pay them? Does the Duke still collect rents from the
> peasants of York? If not, how does a Duke survive these days? It's not
> as if they have any marketable skills.

I don't think we want to know about how the person formally known as
Prince gets by.

--
I WILL NOT BARF UNLESS I'M SICK Bart chalkboard Ep. 8F15

Re: Duke of Earl

<1plvlix.1e2a7nz1kgd5etN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109869&group=alt.usage.english#109869

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:10:16 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 13:10 UTC

Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> This is totally off-topic, I know, but I can't restrain my curiosity.
>
> A certain royal person has had his sergeant's stripes ripped off, or
> however they do it in the UK military, but he is still the Duke of York.
> Presumably he still has the right to march his men to the top of the
> hill, and march then down again.

Certainly, if he has any.
(quod non)

> But how does he pay them? Does the Duke still collect rents from the
> peasants of York? If not, how does a Duke survive these days? It's not
> as if they have any marketable skills.

Some of the peasants have been heard shouting: 'Not in our name',

Jan

Re: Duke of Earl

<b9g8ugdsa1lngkd69iomh78i18tcbnd3a5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109899&group=alt.usage.english#109899

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:05:27 -0500
 by: Tony Cooper - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:05 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:10:45 +1100, Peter Moylan
<peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>This is totally off-topic, I know, but I can't restrain my curiosity.
>
>A certain royal person has had his sergeant's stripes ripped off, or
>however they do it in the UK military, but he is still the Duke of York.
>Presumably he still has the right to march his men to the top of the
>hill, and march then down again.
>
>But how does he pay them? Does the Duke still collect rents from the
>peasants of York? If not, how does a Duke survive these days? It's not
>as if they have any marketable skills.

Not as an answer to your question, but prompted by the subject of the
question:

Colin Jost, on "Saturday Night Live", observed that the Queen's
stripping of Andrew's titles was an unprecedented case of an adult
stripping Prince Andrew.

--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

Re: Duke of Earl

<erg8ughhrqgsnofhhn0hjolgqtq129o04k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109902&group=alt.usage.english#109902

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:14:03 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:14 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:10:16 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
Lodder) wrote:

>Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:
>
>> This is totally off-topic, I know, but I can't restrain my curiosity.
>>
>> A certain royal person has had his sergeant's stripes ripped off, or
>> however they do it in the UK military, but he is still the Duke of York.
>> Presumably he still has the right to march his men to the top of the
>> hill, and march then down again.

No sweat.

>Certainly, if he has any.
>(quod non)

Earl of Inverness in Scotland and Baron of Killyleagh in Northern
Ireland

>> But how does he pay them? Does the Duke still collect rents from the
>> peasants of York? If not, how does a Duke survive these days? It's not
>> as if they have any marketable skills.
>
>Some of the peasants have been heard shouting: 'Not in our name',

He is still in line for the British throne, albeit 9th in succession.

Re: Duke of Earl

<1plvzve.14d8hl7ionl1rN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109933&group=alt.usage.english#109933

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:23:37 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:23 UTC

Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:10:16 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
> Lodder) wrote:
>
> >Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> This is totally off-topic, I know, but I can't restrain my curiosity.
> >>
> >> A certain royal person has had his sergeant's stripes ripped off, or
> >> however they do it in the UK military, but he is still the Duke of York.
> >> Presumably he still has the right to march his men to the top of the
> >> hill, and march then down again.
>
> No sweat.
>
> >Certainly, if he has any.
> >(quod non)
>
> Earl of Inverness in Scotland and Baron of Killyleagh in Northern
> Ireland
>
> >> But how does he pay them? Does the Duke still collect rents from the
> >> peasants of York? If not, how does a Duke survive these days? It's not
> >> as if they have any marketable skills.
> >
> >Some of the peasants have been heard shouting: 'Not in our name',
>
> He is still in line for the British throne, albeit 9th in succession.

The Duke of York always is, by definition even, [1]

Jan

[1]
By custom, he is the second son of the reigning king/queen.
Elizabeth's father was the previous Duke of York.
(associations back to the wars of the roses)

Re: Duke of Earl

<427c0f72-0b36-4aa8-9e7a-5b6f1efe3dfcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109941&group=alt.usage.english#109941

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 09:56:11 -0800 (PST)
From: spainsha...@gmail.com (spains...@gmail.com)
 by: spains...@gmail.com - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:56 UTC

On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 5:23:42 PM UTC, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Mack A. Damia <drstee...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:10:16 +0100, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
> > Lodder) wrote:

> > No sweat.
> >
> > >Certainly, if he has any.
> > >(quod non)
> >
> > Earl of Inverness in Scotland and Baron of Killyleagh in Northern
> > Ireland

> > >Some of the peasants have been heard shouting: 'Not in our name',
> >
> > He is still in line for the British throne, albeit 9th in succession.
> The Duke of York always is, by definition even, [1]

Your "by definition even" could mean several things. Maybe you
should research "primogeniture" and Princess Anne?

> Jan
>
> [1]
> By custom, he is the second son of the reigning king/queen.
> Elizabeth's father was the previous Duke of York.
> (associations back to the wars of the roses)

Re: Duke of Earl

<33o8ugp28aue5uhb5hfft55tdc4fk1p7ec@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109947&group=alt.usage.english#109947

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 10:15:09 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:15 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:23:37 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
Lodder) wrote:

>Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:10:16 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
>> Lodder) wrote:

>> No sweat.
>>
>> >Certainly, if he has any.
>> >(quod non)
>>
>> Earl of Inverness in Scotland and Baron of Killyleagh in Northern
>> Ireland

>> >Some of the peasants have been heard shouting: 'Not in our name',
>>
>> He is still in line for the British throne, albeit 9th in succession.
>
>The Duke of York always is, by definition even, [1]
>
>Jan
>
>[1]
>By custom, he is the second son of the reigning king/queen.
>Elizabeth's father was the previous Duke of York.
>(associations back to the wars of the roses)

So what? How does this relate to what was posted?

The OP's question relates to the source of his income.

Re: Duke of Earl

<ss1sg0$ihs$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109955&group=alt.usage.english#109955

From: rcp...@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:42:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Pierre Jelenc - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:42 UTC

In article <slrnsu7sv3.15ak.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>,
Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.don-t-email-me.com> wrote:

>I don't think we want to know about how the person formally known as
>Prince gets by.

The royalties from Purple Rain?

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc
The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

Re: Duke of Earl

<slrnsu90nm.1dek.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109968&group=alt.usage.english#109968

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:41:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:41 UTC

In message <ss1sg0$ihs$1@reader1.panix.com> Pierre Jelenc <rcpj@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <slrnsu7sv3.15ak.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>,
> Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.don-t-email-me.com> wrote:
>>
>>I don't think we want to know about how the person formally known as
>>Prince gets by.

> The royalties from Purple Rain?

No, that former Prince died. This one, sadly, is still alive and almost
certainly still molesting kids.

--
'The gods,' he said. 'Imprisoned in a thought. And perhaps they were
never more than a dream.' --Sourcery

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Duke of Earl