Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 13:09:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: DO NOT BUY a Staber Washing Machine - What they won't tell you
From: daffidil...@gmail.com (FLORENCE OGSBURY)
 by: FLORENCE OGSBURY - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 20:09 UTC

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 7:15:59 PM UTC-4, quake...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 8, 2002 at 5:49:55 PM UTC-7, PT wrote:
> > We have had our Staber washing machine for the last two years and have
> > had horrible results, especially for the premium price ($1300). The
> > very first time we used it, we put in an expensive quilt (new Amish
> > quilt), used much less detergent than normal (as per the directions),
> > and it oversuds, would not spin up or drain, and caused the fabric to
> > bleed. We tried running it back through the rinse cycles time after
> > time to no avail. We knew it was expensive, but if it lasted a very
> > long time due to its supposedly rugged design and was frugal on water
> > and electricity, it should have been a good choice.
> >
> > If you think you are buying a rugged, care-free machine that will last
> > forever, be frugal on water, and be a good long-term investment, think
> > again.
> >
> > Problems with Staber washing machines they won't tell you BEFORE you
> > buy:
> >
> > 1. If it is still under warranty, and it fails to work, YOU have to fix
> > it yourself (though they may be "gracious" enough to send you the
> > parts), despite the very high price you pay for it. You probably will
> > have to buy a wet/dry vac if you don't have one, so you can suck up the
> > water when you replace your own water pump (observe how the pump design
> > allows hair and other debris to get caught up under a lip of the
> > impeller and wrapped around and is next to impossible to remove
> > totally).
> >
> > 2. It is extremely sensitive to being perfectly balanced and it still
> > is prone to going out of balance when it attemps to spin up. Want to
> > wash a single rug due to a pet accident? Forget it. It will attempt to
> > spin up infinitely until you stop it. Two rugs? Better chance, but
> > often a failure as well.
> >
> > 3. Unless your machine is on a concrete slab (as I guess is common in
> > Ohio where they are made, but not out here in the West), your floor will
> > vibrate heavily vertically when the machine spins up, such that when you
> > stand near the machine when it spins up, your body will shake up and
> > down. Nowhere in their literature did it say you needed to either have
> > concrete or triple reinforce your floor to take the beating this machine
> > puts out and prevent extra vibration. Our machine is in a laundry nook
> > in our hallway, which you have to walk through to get to the bedrooms.
> > The house is 20 years old, so it isn't an old, rickety floor.
> >
> > 4. It very often will not properly go through the rinse and spin cycles
> > because it oversuds (too many suds) and is super sensitive this way. It
> > will just sit there rumbling through, trying in vain to drain and spin
> > up until you stop it. Eventually, I suspect it will cause your pump to
> > burn out. You have to reset it back to go through 1 or more rinse
> > cycles again, negating the supposedly miserly water use. In the worst
> > cases, we had to go through as many as 6 or even more rinse cycles to
> [...]

Re: DO NOT BUY a Staber Washing Machine - What they won't tell you

<58f2479f-fb92-4025-98a1-47452aa4a446n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2094&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2094

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 11:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: solart...@gmail.com (Solartony Tony)
 by: Solartony Tony - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 18:01 UTC

.... doesn't last ... soap compartment 1st to break ...then shocks ... then spin cycle ...
service says no parts, no schematics, no service manual, doesn't 'remember' where parts came from,
doesn't remember who manufactured components ...
absurd crap .... paid $1,600 wasted ... a piece of crap ...

has anyone had any luck finding repair parts & replacement components ?