You work very hard. Don't try to think as well.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

SubjectAuthor
* Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"CDB
+- Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"Peter T. Daniels
+- Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"lar3ryca
+* Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"Peter T. Daniels
|+* Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"CDB
||+- Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"Peter T. Daniels
||`- Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"Quinn C
|`- Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"Quinn C
`- Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"lar3ryca

1
Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

<srs13h$piq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109427&group=alt.usage.english#109427

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:24:48 -0500
<wvrf3zbagf30.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info> <sqpmif$13hn$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<1aef582e-3932-48fc-98bf-9725a0a5b629n@googlegroups.com>
<sqsbre$oet$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1gh69oe7rlw26.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>
<sqv1q5$197u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ff7d407c-4721-41ae-a667-e6cec3245c06n@googlegroups.com>
<sr1jlb$9s5$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<a5b42b66-672f-47bf-8b6c-6ac46d87188en@googlegroups.com>
<796384fe-461f-4b34-8448-580acb91a062n@googlegroups.com>
<sr5dds$1bd7$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<011c0801-a594-4ae7-b68d-6e1b34b1052bn@googlegroups.com>
<sr702i$12o7$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<1f7305cd-9fc5-4043-aebc-b80db65cc510n@googlegroups.com>
 by: CDB - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 14:24 UTC

On 1/6/2022 1:45 PM, lar3ryca wrote:
> On Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 8:58:31 AM UTC-6, CDB wrote:

[mannerisms]

>> I find Amy Schneider quite sympatica, and assume you do too. Of
>> course, I was a wretched intelligence-snob until cured of it by
>> life.

> Not quite sure what you mean by 'sympatica', as I have never met
> Amy, but if you mean "does she annoy me?", the answer is no.

I meant that I like her. I root (NAmE) for someone in each episode, and
these days that's Amy; but I really just wanted to use a gendered adjective.

[...]

Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

<5aee14ba-7b79-417e-9f8f-4bf3cb11a17en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109463&group=alt.usage.english#109463

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:02:57 -0800 (PST)
<541f70fd-2d08-4209-abf4-da20d7ed3165n@googlegroups.com> <c77ssgdsa4gtaqo26i18st8q329oehiufu@4ax.com>
<a0728101-8873-47e0-b1d8-bbfe5a327eecn@googlegroups.com> <modssgds1foim2ldhh4rcu2e2e8er3vtub@4ax.com>
<5abdeb37-022c-44e8-87df-6b56ce350872n@googlegroups.com> <9o4usgdpv757ajth5jhthva0no9j7hfe02@4ax.com>
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:02 UTC

On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 9:24:55 AM UTC-5, CDB wrote:
> On 1/6/2022 1:45 PM, lar3ryca wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 8:58:31 AM UTC-6, CDB wrote:
> [mannerisms]
> >> I find Amy Schneider quite sympatica, and assume you do too. Of
> >> course, I was a wretched intelligence-snob until cured of it by
> >> life.
>
> > Not quite sure what you mean by 'sympatica', as I have never met
> > Amy, but if you mean "does she annoy me?", the answer is no.
>
> I meant that I like her. I root (NAmE) for someone in each episode, and
> these days that's Amy; but I really just wanted to use a gendered adjective.

The best one can say for her is that she's no Matt Amodio. I strongly
dislike the way Ken Jennings fawns over her. Incidentally, it never
occurred to me that she wasn't a garden-variety lesbian when she
mentioned her female "partner."

Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

<f48486be-75a2-425e-bfbd-33b773bd12e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109623&group=alt.usage.english#109623

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 20:29:00 -0800 (PST)
<srs13h$piq$1@gioia.aioe.org> <5aee14ba-7b79-417e-9f8f-4bf3cb11a17en@googlegroups.com>
From: lar3r...@gmail.com (lar3ryca)
 by: lar3ryca - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 04:29 UTC

On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 11:03:00 AM UTC-6, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 9:24:55 AM UTC-5, CDB wrote:
> > On 1/6/2022 1:45 PM, lar3ryca wrote:
> > > On Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 8:58:31 AM UTC-6, CDB wrote:
> > [mannerisms]
> >
> > > Not quite sure what you mean by 'sympatica', as I have never met
> > > Amy, but if you mean "does she annoy me?", the answer is no.
> >
> > I meant that I like her. I root (NAmE) for someone in each episode, and
> > these days that's Amy; but I really just wanted to use a gendered adjective.
> The best one can say for her is that she's no Matt Amodio. I strongly
> dislike the way Ken Jennings fawns over her. Incidentally, it never
> occurred to me that she wasn't a garden-variety lesbian when she
> mentioned her female "partner."

Does your feeling that Ken Jennings 'fawns over her' change your opinion
of Amy Schneider?

As for being 'no Matt Amodio', I agree. Matt Amodio was my least liked
contestant on Jeopardy. With his "what's <whatever>", as opposed to
"what is <whatever>, his refusal to use "who is" or "where is" when
appropriate, and his total lack of any indication that he had any
personality at all, made me glad to see him gone.

Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

<3a2b00ea-f0a4-4b1b-b18d-4f12abfdec33n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109667&group=alt.usage.english#109667

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 05:22:08 -0800 (PST)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 13:22 UTC

On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 11:29:03 PM UTC-5, lar3...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 11:03:00 AM UTC-6, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> > > [mannerisms]
> > > I meant that I like her. I root (NAmE) for someone in each episode, and
> > > these days that's Amy; but I really just wanted to use a gendered adjective.
> > The best one can say for her is that she's no Matt Amodio. I strongly
> > dislike the way Ken Jennings fawns over her. Incidentally, it never
> > occurred to me that she wasn't a garden-variety lesbian when she
> > mentioned her female "partner."
>
> Does your feeling that Ken Jennings 'fawns over her' change your opinion
> of Amy Schneider?

No, it makes me pine for Mayim Bialik.

A few weeks ago i saw an episode of *The Chase*, a simple-minded
trivia game on which he was the "expert" of the day, and he was pretty
obnoxious. (They have a panel of about five "experts"; only one plays
in each hour-long episode, and the others kibitz and apparently decide
a winner in case of a tie, or something.)

> As for being 'no Matt Amodio', I agree. Matt Amodio was my least liked
> contestant on Jeopardy. With his "what's <whatever>", as opposed to
> "what is <whatever>, his refusal to use "who is" or "where is" when
> appropriate, and his total lack of any indication that he had any
> personality at all, made me glad to see him gone.

I referred to him as "the creep."

I get the impression that the "signaling device" (as Pat Sajak calls it)
at the leftmost, i.e. winner's, station is more sensitive than the other
two, because there's no way the other players don't know most of
the answers that she (or the creep) claimed first.

In TV Guide -- I think in a post-mortem after the match with Watson
-- Ken said that his 'secret" was quick reaction time, and ringing in
before he was certain of the answer. And I think he was beaten only
because they gave Watson too fast a reaction time: factual questions
it could handle, but ones that took a modicum of "lateral thinking" it
couldn't, but there weren't enough of those for it to get wrong.

Speaking of *Wheel*, do most *Jeopardy!* watchers stick around
for it? Conversely, do many people who consider themselves
"Wheelwatchers" tune in half an hour earlier?

Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

<srujnf$mks$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109673&group=alt.usage.english#109673

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 08:54:53 -0500
<wvrf3zbagf30.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info> <sqpmif$13hn$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<1aef582e-3932-48fc-98bf-9725a0a5b629n@googlegroups.com>
<sqsbre$oet$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1gh69oe7rlw26.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>
<sqv1q5$197u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ff7d407c-4721-41ae-a667-e6cec3245c06n@googlegroups.com>
<sr1jlb$9s5$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<a5b42b66-672f-47bf-8b6c-6ac46d87188en@googlegroups.com>
<796384fe-461f-4b34-8448-580acb91a062n@googlegroups.com>
<sr5dds$1bd7$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<011c0801-a594-4ae7-b68d-6e1b34b1052bn@googlegroups.com>
<sr702i$12o7$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<1f7305cd-9fc5-4043-aebc-b80db65cc510n@googlegroups.com>
<srs13h$piq$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<5aee14ba-7b79-417e-9f8f-4bf3cb11a17en@googlegroups.com>
<f48486be-75a2-425e-bfbd-33b773bd12e8n@googlegroups.com>
<3a2b00ea-f0a4-4b1b-b18d-4f12abfdec33n@googlegroups.com>
 by: CDB - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 13:54 UTC

On 1/15/2022 8:22 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> lar3...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Peter T. Daniels wrote:

>>> The best one can say for her is that she's no Matt Amodio. I
>>> strongly dislike the way Ken Jennings fawns over her.
>>> Incidentally, it never occurred to me that she wasn't a
>>> garden-variety lesbian when she mentioned her female "partner."

Agreed: Amodio is a loathsome creature, but one who will be back. I
spotted Amy as an unconvincing trans from the first, and the courage
that it must have taken for her to live publicly that way is one of the
reaasons I like her.

>> Does your feeling that Ken Jennings 'fawns over her' change your
>> opinion of Amy Schneider?

> No, it makes me pine for Mayim Bialik.

They both make me pine for Trebek. I'm sorry I dissed him.

> A few weeks ago i saw an episode of *The Chase*, a simple-minded
> trivia game on which he was the "expert" of the day, and he was
> pretty obnoxious. (They have a panel of about five "experts"; only
> one plays in each hour-long episode, and the others kibitz and
> apparently decide a winner in case of a tie, or something.)

>> As for being 'no Matt Amodio', I agree. Matt Amodio was my least
>> liked contestant on Jeopardy. With his "what's <whatever>", as
>> opposed to "what is <whatever>, his refusal to use "who is" or
>> "where is" when appropriate, and his total lack of any indication
>> that he had any personality at all, made me glad to see him gone.

> I referred to him as "the creep."

> I get the impression that the "signaling device" (as Pat Sajak calls
> it) at the leftmost, i.e. winner's, station is more sensitive than
> the other two, because there's no way the other players don't know
> most of the answers that she (or the creep) claimed first.

> In TV Guide -- I think in a post-mortem after the match with Watson
> -- Ken said that his 'secret" was quick reaction time, and ringing
> in before he was certain of the answer. And I think he was beaten
> only because they gave Watson too fast a reaction time: factual
> questions it could handle, but ones that took a modicum of "lateral
> thinking" it couldn't, but there weren't enough of those for it to
> get wrong.

> Speaking of *Wheel*, do most *Jeopardy!* watchers stick around for
> it? Conversely, do many people who consider themselves
> "Wheelwatchers" tune in half an hour earlier?

"Wheel" comes first where I live. I may tune in during commercials on
some other channel, but I don't watch it for itself. Too easy for a
crossword-solver.

My friend and downstairs neighbour, whom I may have mentioned, used to
drop by to watch it with me; competing with him as well as the panel
made it a little more fun, but he seems to have lost interest.

Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

<06cd560f-2a68-459e-900b-e8818d075b59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109678&group=alt.usage.english#109678

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 06:44:47 -0800 (PST)
<f48486be-75a2-425e-bfbd-33b773bd12e8n@googlegroups.com> <3a2b00ea-f0a4-4b1b-b18d-4f12abfdec33n@googlegroups.com>
<srujnf$mks$1@gioia.aioe.org>
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:44 UTC

On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 8:54:59 AM UTC-5, CDB wrote:
> On 1/15/2022 8:22 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> > lar3...@gmail.com wrote:

She may be regretting that she isn't a "spouse." What are California's
community property laws like for non-married couples?

> Agreed: Amodio is a loathsome creature, but one who will be back. I
> spotted Amy as an unconvincing trans from the first, and the courage
> that it must have taken for her to live publicly that way is one of the
> reaasons I like her.

> > Speaking of *Wheel*, do most *Jeopardy!* watchers stick around for
> > it? Conversely, do many people who consider themselves
> > "Wheelwatchers" tune in half an hour earlier?
>
> "Wheel" comes first where I live. I may tune in during commercials on
> some other channel, but I don't watch it for itself. Too easy for a
> crossword-solver.
>
> My friend and downstairs neighbour, whom I may have mentioned, used to
> drop by to watch it with me; competing with him as well as the panel
> made it a little more fun, but he seems to have lost interest.

"Wheel" has far more men talking about their husbands in the little
opening interview than *Jeopardy!* seems to admit the possibility of.
Back when there were live audiences, they didn't have a problem
showing the gay guys hugging in case he was a big winner at the end.
(If you don't win Final Spin, your Significant Other doesn't appear.)

OTOH, I used to watch *Family Feud*, and I never saw same-sex
couples among the contestants; exactly one time, a guy mentioned
his boyfriend and Steve Harvey basically didn't josh with him for the
whole episode. Could it be that the black community is still perceived
as overall so homophobic? (Something like 50% of the contestants
are black, sometimes other persons of color -- meaning one team on
almost every episode.)

Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

<1l45k0t9ys2px$.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109715&group=alt.usage.english#109715

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
References: <f6b173e8-c93c-47d4-af3f-9a1b03bb8ccdn@googlegroups.com> <9o4usgdpv757ajth5jhthva0no9j7hfe02@4ax.com> <wvrf3zbagf30.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info> <sqpmif$13hn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1aef582e-3932-48fc-98bf-9725a0a5b629n@googlegroups.com> <sqsbre$oet$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1gh69oe7rlw26.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info> <sqv1q5$197u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ff7d407c-4721-41ae-a667-e6cec3245c06n@googlegroups.com> <sr1jlb$9s5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <a5b42b66-672f-47bf-8b6c-6ac46d87188en@googlegroups.com> <796384fe-461f-4b34-8448-580acb91a062n@googlegroups.com> <sr5dds$1bd7$1@gioia.aioe.org> <011c0801-a594-4ae7-b68d-6e1b34b1052bn@googlegroups.com> <sr702i$12o7$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1f7305cd-9fc5-4043-aebc-b80db65cc510n@googlegroups.com> <srs13h$piq$1@gioia.aioe.org> <5aee14ba-7b79-417e-9f8f-4bf3cb11a17en@googlegroups.com> <f48486be-75a2-425e-bfbd-33b773bd12e8n@googlegroups.com>
<3a2b00ea-f0a4-4b1b-b18d-4f12abfdec33n@googlegroups.com> <srujnf$mks$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:43:19 -0500
 by: Quinn C - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:43 UTC

* CDB:

> On 1/15/2022 8:22 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>> lar3...@gmail.com wrote:

> Agreed: Amodio is a loathsome creature, but one who will be back. I
> spotted Amy as an unconvincing trans from the first,

Ouch. Language!

It's also literal nonsense. I'm easily convinced she's trans.

> and the courage
> that it must have taken for her to live publicly that way is one of the
> reaasons I like her.

>>> Does your feeling that Ken Jennings 'fawns over her' change your
>>> opinion of Amy Schneider?
>
>> No, it makes me pine for Mayim Bialik.
>
> They both make me pine for Trebek. I'm sorry I dissed him.

I find Jennings a bit annoying, and Bialik still too stiff, but I wasn't
the biggest fan of Trebek, either. For a bit in the mid 2000s, I saw a
local version of Jeopardy with a female host I liked a lot, but I
couldn't tell you any details.

--
If this guy wants to fight with weapons, I've got it covered
from A to Z. From axe to... zee other axe.

Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

<3fbxqq9c45mj.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109720&group=alt.usage.english#109720

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
References: <f6b173e8-c93c-47d4-af3f-9a1b03bb8ccdn@googlegroups.com> <5abdeb37-022c-44e8-87df-6b56ce350872n@googlegroups.com> <9o4usgdpv757ajth5jhthva0no9j7hfe02@4ax.com> <wvrf3zbagf30.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info> <sqpmif$13hn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1aef582e-3932-48fc-98bf-9725a0a5b629n@googlegroups.com> <sqsbre$oet$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1gh69oe7rlw26.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info> <sqv1q5$197u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ff7d407c-4721-41ae-a667-e6cec3245c06n@googlegroups.com> <sr1jlb$9s5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <a5b42b66-672f-47bf-8b6c-6ac46d87188en@googlegroups.com> <796384fe-461f-4b34-8448-580acb91a062n@googlegroups.com> <sr5dds$1bd7$1@gioia.aioe.org> <011c0801-a594-4ae7-b68d-6e1b34b1052bn@googlegroups.com> <sr702i$12o7$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1f7305cd-9fc5-4043-aebc-b80db65cc510n@googlegroups.com> <srs13h$piq$1@gioia.aioe.org> <5aee14ba-7b79-417e-9f8f-4bf3cb11a17en@googlegroups.com>
<f48486be-75a2-425e-bfbd-33b773bd12e8n@googlegroups.com> <3a2b00ea-f0a4-4b1b-b18d-4f12abfdec33n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:43:21 -0500
 by: Quinn C - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:43 UTC

* Peter T. Daniels:

> On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 11:29:03 PM UTC-5, lar3...@gmail.com wrote:

>> As for being 'no Matt Amodio', I agree. Matt Amodio was my least liked
>> contestant on Jeopardy. With his "what's <whatever>", as opposed to
>> "what is <whatever>, his refusal to use "who is" or "where is" when
>> appropriate, and his total lack of any indication that he had any
>> personality at all, made me glad to see him gone.
>
> I referred to him as "the creep."

That has more specific associations for me, but I'd go along with
"cardboard person", and wishing for something stronger.
> I get the impression that the "signaling device" (as Pat Sajak calls it)
> at the leftmost, i.e. winner's, station is more sensitive than the other
> two, because there's no way the other players don't know most of
> the answers that she (or the creep) claimed first.

The buzzing in is a technique - I know that if you press too soon,
you're getting blocked for a short time. Amy may have practised it. That
is a thing now. I think they had a bit of a conversation recently about
the professionalization of contestants.
> In TV Guide -- I think in a post-mortem after the match with Watson
> -- Ken said that his 'secret" was quick reaction time, and ringing in
> before he was certain of the answer.

Yes, I guess you need to do that, but then if you give too many wrong
answers, you go down, rather literally. Amy sure doesn't give many wrong
answers.

--
Odo: I've met a lot of Ferengis in my time ... though some of
them may have been more wealthy, I've never met one more devious.

Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"

<a6b8c4ed-7a24-473e-ae4b-914e500ef104n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109727&group=alt.usage.english#109727

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 08:59:42 -0800 (PST)
From: lar3r...@gmail.com (lar3ryca)
 by: lar3ryca - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:59 UTC

On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 7:22:11 AM UTC-6, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 11:29:03 PM UTC-5, lar3...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > The best one can say for her is that she's no Matt Amodio. I strongly
> > > dislike the way Ken Jennings fawns over her. Incidentally, it never
> > > occurred to me that she wasn't a garden-variety lesbian when she
> > > mentioned her female "partner."
> >
> > Does your feeling that Ken Jennings 'fawns over her' change your opinion
> > of Amy Schneider?
> No, it makes me pine for Mayim Bialik.

I might pine for her return as well, if it weren't for her often
repeated, apparently favourite sentence, "I'm a neuroscientist."

> A few weeks ago i saw an episode of *The Chase*, a simple-minded
> trivia game on which he was the "expert" of the day, and he was pretty
> obnoxious. (They have a panel of about five "experts"; only one plays
> in each hour-long episode, and the others kibitz and apparently decide
> a winner in case of a tie, or something.)
> > As for being 'no Matt Amodio', I agree. Matt Amodio was my least liked
> > contestant on Jeopardy. With his "what's <whatever>", as opposed to
> > "what is <whatever>, his refusal to use "who is" or "where is" when
> > appropriate, and his total lack of any indication that he had any
> > personality at all, made me glad to see him gone.
> I referred to him as "the creep."

Apt.

> I get the impression that the "signaling device" (as Pat Sajak calls it)
> at the leftmost, i.e. winner's, station is more sensitive than the other
> two, because there's no way the other players don't know most of
> the answers that she (or the creep) claimed first.
>
> In TV Guide -- I think in a post-mortem after the match with Watson
> -- Ken said that his 'secret" was quick reaction time, and ringing in
> before he was certain of the answer. And I think he was beaten only
> because they gave Watson too fast a reaction time: factual questions
> it could handle, but ones that took a modicum of "lateral thinking" it
> couldn't, but there weren't enough of those for it to get wrong.

I don't know for sure, but Jennings' strategy sounds like it could be
the explanation. I say this for two reasons.

1. Ever since the scandal about the /$64,000 Question/ being rigged,
game shows have been under close scrutiny.

2. I have noted that the big winners have often rung in, then proceeded
to ponder the question for some time before answering.

This leads me to believe that if the contestant had an unfair signalling
advantage, they would not have to think about the answer after being
chosen.

When I watch the show, I have often thought I knew the answer before the
question was fully read out, and am more often right than wrong, though
perhaps not by a large margin.

I have an app on my tablet that let's me keep score for my answers, but
I find that I get distracted and forget to hit the appropriate button.

> Speaking of *Wheel*, do most *Jeopardy!* watchers stick around
> for it? Conversely, do many people who consider themselves
> "Wheelwatchers" tune in half an hour earlier?

Sometimes I put Wheel on, sometimes not. I don't find it very
challenging, and often find myself yelling at the people who guess
impossible or improbable letters, or who miss guessing an obvious
answer.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: "Keen to" vs "keen on"