From: tak...@alum.mit.eduxx (Tak To)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Cantonese discourse particles in Hong Kong Netlish
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 16:23:01 -0500
 by: Tak To - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 21:23 UTC

On 1/7/2022 9:54 PM, Dingbat wrote:
> Cantonese discourse particles in Hong Kong Netlish
>
> From a Master's thesis by a Ms Wong at a U in Woolongong
>
> English instant messages in Hong Kong have Cantonese particles
> interspersed between English words. An extreme example is given
> with no English words:
>
> gum mo yeh la (then forget about it!)
>
> I ask:
> If it has no English words, is it still Hong Kong Net English?
> If not, what language is it?

This is just a simple Cantonese sentence, nothing English
about it.

"gum 咁" ~= "then/if so"
"mo yeh 冇嘢" = "nothing"
"la 嘞" ~= (a conclusive tone)

"If so, there is nothing then".

Perhaps it was used by the author to illustrate the use of
the "la 嘞" particle.

--
Tak
Tak To takto@alum.mit.eduxx

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Cantonese discourse particles in Hong Kong Netlish