Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 02:11:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: SOON RELEASE [?] of guilty guilty Sirhan Sirhan, who forgets the
most unforgettable events
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:11 UTC

Y'all may or may not be interested to know that I once made a spirited case for the preservation of the pantry structure that was the site of Sirhan's few seconds of rage at The Ambassador Hotel. Sirhan may not remember--SURE he doesn't!--the scene, but the REST of us do.

But no one can visit it anymore because the Wilshire landmark hotel was razed in the late '80s. And soon enough Trump would start talking about, er, erecting a super-tall skyscraper on the site, talk which quickly evaporated.. Indeed, I had found that much of the site was already fenced-off by the time of my Hollywood arrival in June 1980. But in early 1982, I managed to finagle my way inside, and found a managerial type of the skeleton staff still there who was willing to take me back there to the sealed-off pantry and see precisely where it all happened.

He said it hadn't been modified since 1968 a bit (and hadn't been functional for nearly a decade), and I found it as thoroughly nondescript an institutional food-prep workspace--several large stainless-steel tables, etc.--as it looks in all that people-packed footage from just past midnight on Wednesday morning, June 5th.

While trying to mentally place RFK, the assassin, Rafer Johnson, Roosevelt Greer, et al.* in their respective places, I implored the gentleman to talk to his superiors about the possibility of preserving it for historical purposes. (After all, while Ford's Theatre and Dealey Plaza of course remain intact, the old District of Columbia train station [1881] and Buffalo international exposition site [1901] are each many decades gone and built over--even though when visiting them I managed to determine both spots after a couple hours effort in each case.)

But nowadays there's nuttin' still there, so I was ultimately unpersuasive--but he agreed it should be considered.

Well, at least, just to the west, the faded glory of The Miracle Mile stretch still remains from Wilshire Blvd.'s golden age***.

STYBLE/Florida
* Of course, at the time I didn't know that my 21st Century commercial newstalk radio hosting colleague Michael Medved**, a RFK campaign worker, happened to be an earwitness to the RFK shooting, still in the ballroom adjacent where the final RFK address was delivered--else I certainly would have tried to figure out where he was as well, dogged amateur historian that I am.
** My KIRO/Seattle studio was just one control room away from the tiny leased studio the (usually) first-rate Medved program still uses daily 3-6p Pacific.
*** An era sweepingly and beautifully recreated in the period-piece film adaptation of "L.A. Confidential".

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: SOON RELEASE [?] of guilty guilty Sirhan Sirhan, who forgets the most unforgettable events