From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: Study Finds That 8% Of Chinese Men Are Problem Drinkers
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 16:44:36 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 13:44 UTC

> Study Finds That 8% Of Chinese Men Are Problem Drinkers
> by Ginni Correa, Jan. 30, 2020, Addiction Center

> Drinking alcohol has become more popular in China over the recent years.
> In fact, data shows that alcohol dependence in China increased from 0.02%
> to 0.68% between the 1980s and 1990s, and per capita alcohol consumption
> increased from 4.1 liters in 2005 to 7.2 liters in 2016. Although alcohol
> consumption and dependence has been steadily increasing since the 80's,

In the post-medieval era, Europe was the world center of alcohol
consumption fashions. And when looking into East Asia, one can see
that more alcohol drinking today are the countries that were more
linked with the European/Western influence in more or less recent
past and present. These are South Korea (10.2) and Japan (8.0),
plus also the south-east countries impacted by France: Laos (10.4),
Vietnam and Thailand (8.3) (<https://bit.ly/2F9ECmn> pp. 345-348).

And the rise of alcohol consumption in China since the 1980s was
linked with the Deng Xiaoping's reformatory-modernization policies,
that made China more open to the Western cultural fashions.

Popular teacher-clown Yuan Tengfei (also a staunch hater of Russia)
in one of his "educational" videos <https://youtu.be/iDd81NcNNew>
promoted a bogus idea that the evil Soviets accustomed Chinese to
drink alcohol, but his wishful thinking is not consistent with the
historical dynamics of consumption cited above.

And for all that, the level of alcohol consumption in China (7.2)
still remains notably less against typal Europe (11-12) and the US
(9.8), what the article refrains to point out.

> The study showed that there was a significant difference in alcohol
> consumption between men and women.

The writers seem to intentionally avoid comparing China to others,
while the "significant difference in alcohol consumption between men
and women" is known to be common for most of nations.

What I have noticed peculiar in modern China is the fact that among
the Chinese female vloggers there are quite many beautiful ones who
drink much alcohol on camera. Advertisements for alcohol consumption
seem to be forbidden in the China's mass media, but there seem to be
no much restrictions for amateur bloggers, so they do such a product
placement. Chinese blogging can be very profitable occupation, given
the 1.5 billion potential audience within one common infospace.

> Drinking in China has been on the rise since the 1980's and officials are
> starting to notice national health problems that resemble those in Western
> countries. Now that researchers have gathered evidence, they hope it can
> help policy makers when making decisions on how to improve health outcomes
> in China.

The American writers should care more about the US than China, as
not only the American consumption is notably higher, but it's also
combined with the catastrophic abuse of drugs in the US.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Study Finds That 8% Of Chinese Men Are Problem Drinkers