From: campb...@neotext.ca (Dhu on Gate)
Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.politics
Subject: Wittgenstien's "Rule Following Paradox" in the Real World
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:01:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dhu on Gate - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:01 UTC

Here's an example of what "Rule Following" buys you:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/21/petrol-station-worker-killed-in-germany-after-face-mask-row

This is a succinct example of Ideology Trumping Reality, ON ALL SIDES.

Dhu

(see here for more details:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Wittgenstein%E2%80%99s+rule-following+paradox )

Re: Wittgenstien's "Rule Following Paradox" in the Real World

<sif8tt$92g$2@os.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10367&group=alt.politics#10367

From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.politics
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:48:57 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 12:48 UTC

Dhu on Gate, <news:sif2e1$l2q$5@dont-email.me>

> Here's an example of what "Rule Following" buys you:
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/21/petrol-station-worker-killed-in-germany-after-face-mask-row
>
> This is a succinct example of Ideology Trumping Reality, ON ALL SIDES.

Everyone likes to feel him or her self bossy.

The demand of compliance with the mask-wearing rules allows some low-rank
'operating personnel' - salesclerks, cashiers etc - to please their ego
with paternal-bossy moments when they demand to wear masks from customers.
It's aggravated by the fact that in many cases (in Europe and Russia) such
personnel don't tend to pay much attention to the customers who wear masks
symbolically only ("pulled under the chin"). Thus it shifts wearing mask
to be a symbol of obedience rather than a reasonable necessary measure.

Of course, it in no way could justify the murder, but the above describes
where the cause for anger takes place. If the cashier said "hey, there's a
video control here, I'll be fired if the boss sees me serving you without
mask" then there would hardly be such a horrible reaction. But this young
20-year-old student likely took another tone.

> Dhu
>
> (see here for more details:
> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Wittgenstein%E2%80%99s+rule-following+paradox )
>

> --
> Je suis Canadien. Ce n'est pas Francais ou Anglaise.
> C'est une esp`ece de sauvage: ne obliviscaris, vix ea nostra voco;-)

Re: Wittgenstien's "Rule Following Paradox" in the Real World

<sifefd$qs1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10373&group=alt.politics#10373

From: campb...@neotext.ca (Dhu on Gate)
Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.politics
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 14:26:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dhu on Gate - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 14:26 UTC

On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:48:57 +0300, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

> Dhu on Gate, <news:sif2e1$l2q$5@dont-email.me>
>>
>> Here's an example of what "Rule Following" buys you:
>>
>> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/21/petrol-station-worker-killed-in-germany-after-face-mask-row
>>
>> This is a succinct example of Ideology Trumping Reality, ON ALL SIDES.
>
> Everyone likes to feel him or her self bossy.
>
> The demand of compliance with the mask-wearing rules allows some low-rank
> 'operating personnel' - salesclerks, cashiers etc - to please their ego
> with paternal-bossy moments when they demand to wear masks from customers.
> It's aggravated by the fact that in many cases (in Europe and Russia) such
> personnel don't tend to pay much attention to the customers who wear masks
> symbolically only ("pulled under the chin"). Thus it shifts wearing mask
> to be a symbol of obedience rather than a reasonable necessary measure.
>
> Of course, it in no way could justify the murder, but the above describes
> where the cause for anger takes place. If the cashier said "hey, there's a
> video control here, I'll be fired if the boss sees me serving you without
> mask" then there would hardly be such a horrible reaction. But this young
> 20-year-old student likely took another tone.

My guess is you are correct: attitude is all. The moment someone _communicates_
something salient about the situation (as you describe "the boss...") they
are no longer "following the rules".

Dhu

>> Dhu
>>
>> (see here for more details:
>> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Wittgenstein%E2%80%99s+rule-following+paradox )
>>

>> --
>> Je suis Canadien. Ce n'est pas Francais ou Anglaise.
>> C'est une esp`ece de sauvage: ne obliviscaris, vix ea nostra voco;-)

Re: Wittgenstien's "Rule Following Paradox" in the Real World

<sig6m6$2uv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10393&group=alt.politics#10393

From: campb...@neotext.ca (Dhu on Gate)
Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.politics
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 21:20:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dhu on Gate - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 21:20 UTC

On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 14:26:53 +0000, Dhu on Gate wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:48:57 +0300, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
>
>> Dhu on Gate, <news:sif2e1$l2q$5@dont-email.me>
>>>
>>> Here's an example of what "Rule Following" buys you:
>>>
>>> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/21/petrol-station-worker-killed-in-germany-after-face-mask-row
>>>
>>> This is a succinct example of Ideology Trumping Reality, ON ALL SIDES.
>>
>> Everyone likes to feel him or her self bossy.
>>
>> The demand of compliance with the mask-wearing rules allows some low-rank
>> 'operating personnel' - salesclerks, cashiers etc - to please their ego
>> with paternal-bossy moments when they demand to wear masks from customers.
>> It's aggravated by the fact that in many cases (in Europe and Russia) such
>> personnel don't tend to pay much attention to the customers who wear masks
>> symbolically only ("pulled under the chin"). Thus it shifts wearing mask
>> to be a symbol of obedience rather than a reasonable necessary measure.
>>
>> Of course, it in no way could justify the murder, but the above describes
>> where the cause for anger takes place. If the cashier said "hey, there's a
>> video control here, I'll be fired if the boss sees me serving you without
>> mask" then there would hardly be such a horrible reaction. But this young
>> 20-year-old student likely took another tone.
>
> My guess is you are correct: attitude is all. The moment someone _communicates_
> something salient about the situation (as you describe "the boss...") they
> are no longer "following the rules".

Mebbe we need to add a rule breaking rule to our books.

Something like "whenever extenuating circumstances can
be reliably recorded deviation from the rulz is permitted."

This allows others, ongoing, to assess the functional utility
of those rulez that are being broken.

ergo: "See that Camera there? Please explain to my boss why
you can't wear a mask and we'll get 'er done."

Dhu

> Dhu
>

>>> Dhu
>>>
>>> (see here for more details:
>>> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Wittgenstein%E2%80%99s+rule-following+paradox )
>>>

>>> --
>>> Je suis Canadien. Ce n'est pas Francais ou Anglaise.
>>> C'est une esp`ece de sauvage: ne obliviscaris, vix ea nostra voco;-)

interests / alt.politics / Wittgenstien's "Rule Following Paradox" in the Real World