You may be marching to the beat of a different drummer, but you're still in the parade.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Will the Ukraine war ring the knell for nuclear arms control?

SubjectAuthor
* Will the Ukraine war ring the knell for nuclear arms control?ltlee1
`* Re: Will the Ukraine war ring the knell for nuclear arms control?stoney
 `- Re: Will the Ukraine war ring the knell for nuclear arms control?ltlee1

1
Will the Ukraine war ring the knell for nuclear arms control?

<f2a30128-4c98-4b69-8cd5-4a0d71dc4893n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10111&group=soc.culture.china#10111

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 08:13:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Will the Ukraine war ring the knell for nuclear arms control?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 15:13 UTC

"Editor’s note (August 1st 2022): President Joe Biden today offered to “expeditiously negotiate” a new nuclear arms-control deal with Russia to replace the New START treaty, which expires in 2026. Mr Biden also put pressure on China to discuss limits on its growing nuclear arsenal. It is not clear whether either power will take up his call, but it allows America to cast itself as a responsible power at the start of a big nuclear conference in New York.

IN THE SEA of hostility between America and Russia, an island of co-operation endures: the rival powers routinely share information about their long-range nuclear weapons, from the movement of warheads in and out of maintenance to telemetry from ballistic-missile launches. This is both striking and reassuring in the sixth month of war in Ukraine, as Russia periodically threatens to use nuclear weapons and America warns of “severe consequences” if it does.

America’s State Department says Russia is complying fully with the New START treaty, which limits each side to 1,550 deployed nuclear warheads on intercontinental ballistic missiles (with range greater than 5,500km, or 3,420 miles), heavy bombers and submarines. Especially at a time of acute tension, an American official says, its provisions help “mitigate the potential for miscalculations, misunderstandings and over-reactions.”

This may be the only good news in the darkening world of nuclear arms control as delegates from 191 countries gather in New York on August 1st for a big “review conference” (or RevCon) of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), a cornerstone of global nuclear security. Daryl Kimball of the Arms Control Association, an American think-tank, says the danger of nuclear war, or at least a return to a nuclear arms race, is greater than at any time since the mid-1980s."

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2022/07/31/will-the-ukraine-war-ring-the-knell-for-nuclear-arms-control

Re: Will the Ukraine war ring the knell for nuclear arms control?

<39b23f88-df42-4e37-bae4-4762bed78d6dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10119&group=soc.culture.china#10119

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:00:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 18:00 UTC

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 11:13:43 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> "Editor’s note (August 1st 2022): President Joe Biden today offered to “expeditiously negotiate” a new nuclear arms-control deal with Russia to replace the New START treaty, which expires in 2026. Mr Biden also put pressure on China to discuss limits on its growing nuclear arsenal. It is not clear whether either power will take up his call, but it allows America to cast itself as a responsible power at the start of a big nuclear conference in New York.
>
> IN THE SEA of hostility between America and Russia, an island of co-operation endures: the rival powers routinely share information about their long-range nuclear weapons, from the movement of warheads in and out of maintenance to telemetry from ballistic-missile launches. This is both striking and reassuring in the sixth month of war in Ukraine, as Russia periodically threatens to use nuclear weapons and America warns of “severe consequences” if it does.
>
> America’s State Department says Russia is complying fully with the New START treaty, which limits each side to 1,550 deployed nuclear warheads on intercontinental ballistic missiles (with range greater than 5,500km, or 3,420 miles), heavy bombers and submarines. Especially at a time of acute tension, an American official says, its provisions help “mitigate the potential for miscalculations, misunderstandings and over-reactions.”
>
> This may be the only good news in the darkening world of nuclear arms control as delegates from 191 countries gather in New York on August 1st for a big “review conference” (or RevCon) of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), a cornerstone of global nuclear security. Daryl Kimball of the Arms Control Association, an American think-tank, says the danger of nuclear war, or at least a return to a nuclear arms race, is greater than at any time since the mid-1980s."
>
> https://www.economist.com/united-states/2022/07/31/will-the-ukraine-war-ring-the-knell-for-nuclear-arms-control

The danger of nuclear war is greater now than ever than the 1980s. When challenged in a imbalance stockpile, they will race to top up each other. When a non-nuclear one is being challenged, they will accelerate to defend itself with nuclear arms race, too.

Re: Will the Ukraine war ring the knell for nuclear arms control?

<803cf0a0-a007-4030-8cd6-bff3ea004981n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10137&group=soc.culture.china#10137

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 03:44:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 10:44 UTC

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 2:00:41 PM UTC-4, stoney wrote:
> On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 11:13:43 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> > "Editor’s note (August 1st 2022): President Joe Biden today offered to “expeditiously negotiate” a new nuclear arms-control deal with Russia to replace the New START treaty, which expires in 2026. Mr Biden also put pressure on China to discuss limits on its growing nuclear arsenal. It is not clear whether either power will take up his call, but it allows America to cast itself as a responsible power at the start of a big nuclear conference in New York.
> >
> > IN THE SEA of hostility between America and Russia, an island of co-operation endures: the rival powers routinely share information about their long-range nuclear weapons, from the movement of warheads in and out of maintenance to telemetry from ballistic-missile launches. This is both striking and reassuring in the sixth month of war in Ukraine, as Russia periodically threatens to use nuclear weapons and America warns of “severe consequences” if it does.
> >
> > America’s State Department says Russia is complying fully with the New START treaty, which limits each side to 1,550 deployed nuclear warheads on intercontinental ballistic missiles (with range greater than 5,500km, or 3,420 miles), heavy bombers and submarines. Especially at a time of acute tension, an American official says, its provisions help “mitigate the potential for miscalculations, misunderstandings and over-reactions..”
> >
> > This may be the only good news in the darkening world of nuclear arms control as delegates from 191 countries gather in New York on August 1st for a big “review conference” (or RevCon) of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), a cornerstone of global nuclear security. Daryl Kimball of the Arms Control Association, an American think-tank, says the danger of nuclear war, or at least a return to a nuclear arms race, is greater than at any time since the mid-1980s."
> >
> > https://www.economist.com/united-states/2022/07/31/will-the-ukraine-war-ring-the-knell-for-nuclear-arms-control
> The danger of nuclear war is greater now than ever than the 1980s. When challenged in a imbalance stockpile, they will race to top up each other. When a non-nuclear one is being challenged, they will accelerate to defend itself with nuclear arms race, too.

Pelosi's visit probably makes China nuclear weapon parity a new prerequisite for PEACEFUL reunification.