From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: The inexplicable John Michael Godier
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 23:48:59 -0400
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: JTEM - Wed, 1 May 2024 03:48 UTC

https://youtu.be/B4_aVspq1hY?feature=shared

One thing I find disturbing, not just "Wrong" but
disturbing, is this level of devotion to the
"Fermi Paradox" trope which can only be described
as dogmatism.

There's no such thing as a Fermi "Paradox."

It doesn't exist.

But, "The Great Filter" does exist. It has to. It
is impossible for it to not exist. It really all
comes down to the extant...

THE JTEM PYRAMID

Everyone loves JTEM, everyone loves pyramids thus
"The JTEM Pyramid." It'll help you visualize the
issue here...

If you graphed all intelligent life in the universe,
the least technologically developed on the bottom
and the most advanced at the top, it would look like
a pyramid.

The genus Homo is over 2 million years old, and the
"Industrial Revolution" is maybe 300 years old at
it's most generous dating. And just from out WMDs
alone we have already exceeded the level necessary
to bring about our own extinction. Intentionally.

Now look at all the catastrophes that have struck
the earth just since the end of the last glacial
period: Massive treks of land are gone, washed
under the waves of rising seas. Volcanic eruptions
that dwarf anything large enough to take out a
city. The Rhine river went dry in a massive drought
sparked by volcanic activity. A volcano literally
put the "Dark" into the "Dark Ages," speeding the
end to Rome. Thera/Santorini collapsed civilizations
from Egypt to China. Earthquakes. Tsunamis. There
have been large asteroid strikes, one associated with
the collapsing ancient Egypt...

NOTE: Ancient Egypt collapsed a number of times
during it's 3,000 years of history. Google: Ancient
Egypt Intermediate Periods.

NOTE 2: Volcanic eruptions are rated on a scale of
1 through 8 -- the VEI index. There has not yet
been a VEI8 volcano in the entirety of the Holocene.
We are way overdue, and there's a number of them
ACTIVE right at this moment, including Yellowstone.

Rome, Egypt and China could all be toppled by
natural disaster, and we have yet to see a "Biggie"
since the end of the last glacial period...

Gamma Ray Bursts.

a "Snowball Earth" event.

Or even just having the misfortune of arising within
the close proximity of another civilization...

Disease?

Probably not one but what is a number of different
plagues struck at once?

There's simply so many ways for life to end and the
more complex, the more highly developed the more
vulnerable.

Let me put it another way:

The vast majority of species, the overwhelming
majority to have ever arisen are extinct. They're
gone. On average a species only last maybe a
million years.

Oh, of course, some lasts many times that, as far as
we can tell. But even then only if we fudge things
and ignore how we define species.

Horseshoe Crabs: NOT the same "Species" we find in
300 million year old rocks.

Coelacanths: NOT the same species known from fossils.

An advanced, space traveling civilization could probably
"Freeze" their DNA, stopping "Evolution" and ensuring
they remain the same species regardless of time spans.

Would they want to?

And all the differences in all of humanity -- Africans,
Europeans, Asians, Melanesian -- arose is far, Far, FAR
less a separation than colonizing even the nearest star
systems.

Think of that: All of the different ethnicity and
races, all the differences between humans arose within
only a FRACTION of the separation represented by travel
to nearby solar systems, even at the speed of light.

Yes you can walk from northern Europe to South Africa
in less time than it would take you to reach our nearest
solar system at the speed of light. A lot less time.

So, just colonizing space means inventing rivals, other
"Races" and perhaps even other "Sub Species" & "Species."

Hmm. Conflict is another opening to "The Great Filter."

Think about it. And ditch the "Fermi Paradox" trope.

--
https://jtem.tumblr.com/tagged/The%20Book%20of%20JTEM/page/5

interests / talk.origins / The inexplicable John Michael Godier