From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: Russia is nearly isolated online. What does that mean for the internet's future?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:42:16 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 07:42 UTC

> March 15, 2022

eh?

Re: Russia is nearly isolated online. What does that mean for the internet's future?

<2151c250-3412-4387-a7fd-24997ce23792n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10023&group=soc.culture.china#10023

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 04:11:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Russia is nearly isolated online. What does that mean for the
internet's future?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:11 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 3:46:17 AM UTC-4, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> > March 15, 2022
>
> eh?
Date of the article is one thing.

But what is odd is that the NBCnews.com article did not even provide examples on which websites
ending with .RU were end and for how long. The embedded link leads to "DDoS Attempts Hit Russia
as Ukraine Conflict Intensifies" but has no information on specific sites.

Sign of post-truth in the US.

Re: Russia is nearly isolated online. What does that mean for the internet's future?

<tbe8lv$355v3$1@os.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10027&group=soc.culture.china#10027

From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:26:55 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 13:26 UTC

ltlee1, <news:2151c250-3412-4387-a7fd-24997ce23792n@googlegroups.com>
> On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 3:46:17 AM UTC-4, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

>>> March 15, 2022
>>
>> eh?
>
> Date of the article is one thing.

In March, it said "things are falling apart", so one might expect in
July that things already have somewhat fallen apart, but in reality
nothing has fallen so far.

> But what is odd is that the NBCnews.com article did not even provide
> examples on which websites ending with .RU were end and for how long.
> The embedded link leads to "DDoS Attempts Hit Russia as Ukraine
> Conflict Intensifies" but has no information on specific sites.
>
> Sign of post-truth in the US.

Shortly after this 02.24 thing started, many of the Russian important
websites - government online services, major banks, major news
outlets etc - were heavily attacked by hackers (DDoS and other way).
It resulted so that some online services really became malfunctional
and some websites became inaccessible. Most of the services had
normalized their functionality within 2-3 days, others managed to do
so later.

In present everything seems to work smoothly. Although accessibility
to some resources may depend on whether you enter the internet via a
Russian or foreign ISP. For foreigners, difficulties can be caused by
both "sides". Some Russian websites may apply more protective policy
for foreign users, - to diminish DDoS and other harmful activities.
Some foreign ISPs may forbid their users from accessing some Russian
sites (news outlets and predominantly Russian social networks).

Re: Russia is nearly isolated online. What does that mean for the internet's future?

<anfi+n56xmf3syf-m7m5@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10030&group=soc.culture.china#10030

From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 17:18:01 +0200
sha1:1fhHVikSpCGehTWJtO1HdHCspU8=
 by: A. Filip - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:18 UTC

"Oleg Smirnov" <os333@netc.eu> wrote:
> ltlee1, <news:2151c250-3412-4387-a7fd-24997ce23792n@googlegroups.com>

>>> eh?
>>
>> Date of the article is one thing.
>
> In March, it said "things are falling apart", so one might expect in
> July that things already have somewhat fallen apart, but in reality
> nothing has fallen so far.
>
>> But what is odd is that the NBCnews.com article did not even provide
>> examples on which websites ending with .RU were end and for how
>> long.
>> The embedded link leads to "DDoS Attempts Hit Russia as Ukraine
>> Conflict Intensifies" but has no information on specific sites.
>>
>> Sign of post-truth in the US.
>
> Shortly after this 02.24 thing started, many of the Russian important
> websites - government online services, major banks, major news outlets
> etc - were heavily attacked by hackers (DDoS and other way).
> It resulted so that some online services really became malfunctional
> and some websites became inaccessible. Most of the services had
> normalized their functionality within 2-3 days, others managed to do
> so later.
>
> In present everything seems to work smoothly. Although accessibility
> to some resources may depend on whether you enter the internet via a
> Russian or foreign ISP. For foreigners, difficulties can be caused by
> both "sides". Some Russian websites may apply more protective policy
> for foreign users, - to diminish DDoS and other harmful
> activities. Some foreign ISPs may forbid their users from accessing
> some Russian sites (news outlets and predominantly Russian social
> networks).

The one site I sometimes visited (for podcasts) isolated *itself*.

https://echo.msk.ru/
> 405 Not Allowed

$ dig echo.MSK.ru
echo.MSK.ru. 1613 IN A 185.71.67.2

$ whois 185.71.67.2
address: Skolkovo Innovation Center, ]…]
address: Moscow

P.S. I post the data above because at least one russian site (rt.com) is
"DNS blocked" by my ISP. [custom CNAME record as replacement returned by
DNS resolvers provided by the ISP]

--
A. Filip : Big (Tech) Brother is watching you.
| Water, taken in moderation cannot hurt anybody. (Mark Twain)

Re: Russia is nearly isolated online. What does that mean for the internet's future?

<tbei77$37lb7$1@os.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10031&group=soc.culture.china#10031

From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 19:08:28 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:08 UTC

A. Filip, <news:anfi+n56xmf3syf-m7m5@wp.eu>
> "Oleg Smirnov" <os333@netc.eu> wrote:
>> ltlee1, <news:2151c250-3412-4387-a7fd-24997ce23792n@googlegroups.com>

>> In present everything seems to work smoothly. Although accessibility
>> to some resources may depend on whether you enter the internet via a
>> Russian or foreign ISP. For foreigners, difficulties can be caused by
>> both "sides". Some Russian websites may apply more protective policy
>> for foreign users, - to diminish DDoS and other harmful activities.
>> Some foreign ISPs may forbid their users from accessing some Russian
>> sites (news outlets and predominantly Russian social networks).
>
> The one site I sometimes visited (for podcasts) isolated *itself*.
>
> https://echo.msk.ru/
>> 405 Not Allowed
>
> $ dig echo.MSK.ru
> echo.MSK.ru. 1613 IN A 185.71.67.2
>
> $ whois 185.71.67.2
> address: Skolkovo Innovation Center, ].]
> address: Moscow

This insane outlet simply no longer functions.

The Kremlin stopped funding it.

> P.S. I post the data above because at least one russian site (rt.com) is
> "DNS blocked" by my ISP. [custom CNAME record as replacement returned by
> DNS resolvers provided by the ISP]

There are many free VPN extentions for Chrome that can make it available.