From: J...@M (D)
Subject: google prediction
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:32:31 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
 by: D - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:32 UTC

the only prediction thus far is that google shall decommission their usenet
gateway as they announced last 14 december to be effective 15 february 2024
then moved the goal posts to the persisting expectation of 22 february 2024,
so they can easily modify their public announcement without previous notice
and keep doing that until the cows come home . . . if and when their usenet
gateway is actually disconnected, then dozens of spam-friendly news servers
could experience a measurable increase in spam, troll-farm infestation, etc.
certainly some news server administrators may be motivated to tighten their
restrictions on cross-posting, user registration requirements, and throttle
server access to limit use and potential abuse; simply limiting cross-posts
to five (5) and depeering any servers that allow more would be a good start,
better if crossposting were eliminated altogether, but it will get stricter

Re: ??????️‍??????google prediction ??????️‍??????

<ur4bli$24mlb$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3792&group=alt.free.newsservers#3792

From: ind...@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Subject: Re: ??????️‍??????g
oogle_prediction_
_??????️‍?????
?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:48:58 +0530
 by: Indira - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:18 UTC

William Unruh wrote:

> Google is the apparently the site of most of the
> spam/troll-farm infectation,.... precisely because it is so easy to do
> so. Make it harder an many will give up.

I respectfully both agree and disagree with the way it's stated above.

Just as most people may disagree if I postulated that gravity is due to
some kind of almost unfathomable confluence of 4-dimensional (or maybe 11?)
spacetime rushing inward like a river toward mass:energy at 11km/second at
the same time that the mass:energy electrostatic forces push outward
(equivalence principle) at what we measure at 9.8 meters/sec/sec), that's
how I think of gravity.

Two opposing forces.
Meeting at the twain.

Likewise with that huge increase in spam emanating from Google servers.
Except there isn't any opposing force by Google.

Spammers will always spam.
But Google should STOP them from spamming.

That's the confluence of the two opposing forces.
Meeting at the twain in the middle.

Google can implement spam filters.
They can.
And they do.

At least for GMail they do.
Right?

The spammers spam analogy is electrostatic forces accelerating us outward.
The Google onrushing river of spacetime forces push back into the ground.

Electrostatic forces can oppose onrushing spacetime.
So why can't Google implement spam filters for their Usenet users?

Re: ??????️‍??????google prediction ??????️‍??????

<d3c28ee0c2016b1f4eab13d3df4c35f6@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3797&group=alt.free.newsservers#3797

From: ano...@anon.com (anonymous)
oogle_prediction_
_??????️‍?????
?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 12:34:24 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
 by: anonymous - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 11:34 UTC

Indira <indira@ghandi.net> wrote in

> D wrote:
>
>> the only prediction thus far is that google shall decommission their
>> usenet gateway as they announced last 14 december to be
>> effective 15 february 2024 then moved the goal posts to the
>> persisting expectation of 22 february 2024, so they can easily modify
>> their public announcement without previous notice and keep doing that
>> until the cows come home . . . if and when their usenet gateway is
>> actually disconnected, then dozens of spam-friendly news servers
>> could experience a measurable increase in spam, troll-farm
>> infestation, etc. certainly some news server administrators may be
>> motivated to tighten their restrictions on cross-posting, user
>> registration requirements, and throttle server access to limit use
>> and potential abuse; simply limiting cross-posts to five (5) and
>> depeering any servers that allow more would be a good start, better
>> if crossposting were eliminated altogether, but it will get stricter
>
> William Unruh wrote:
>
>> Google is the apparently the site of most of the
>> spam/troll-farm infectation,.... precisely because it is so easy to
>> do so. Make it harder an many will give up.
>
> I respectfully both agree and disagree with the way it's stated above.
>
> Just as most people may disagree if I postulated that gravity is due
> to some kind of almost unfathomable confluence of 4-dimensional (or
> maybe 11?) spacetime rushing inward like a river toward mass:energy at
> 11km/second at the same time that the mass:energy electrostatic forces
> push outward (equivalence principle) at what we measure at 9.8
> meters/sec/sec), that's how I think of gravity.
>
> Two opposing forces.
> Meeting at the twain.
>
> Likewise with that huge increase in spam emanating from Google
> servers. Except there isn't any opposing force by Google.
>
> Spammers will always spam.
> But Google should STOP them from spamming.
>
> That's the confluence of the two opposing forces.
> Meeting at the twain in the middle.
>
> Google can implement spam filters.
> They can.
> And they do.
>
> At least for GMail they do.
> Right?
>
> The spammers spam analogy is electrostatic forces accelerating us
> outward. The Google onrushing river of spacetime forces push back into
> the ground.
>
> Electrostatic forces can oppose onrushing spacetime.
> So why can't Google implement spam filters for their Usenet users?

Because google groups doesn't generate any revenue.