https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3621&group=alt.free.newsservers#3621

From: 388...@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers, comp.internet.services.google,
google.public.support.general, google.de, alt.comp.google, alt.google-sucks
Subject: Ping Sysops - New Subscriber Metrics Since Google Groupocalypse?
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:44:13 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:44 UTC

Would syspos please post a ballpark of the number of new subscribers on
their servers since the google groupocalypse groupsspagheddon
announcement? This information metric will be good for having as part
of Usenet history.

I hope you all are keeping track! My suspicion is that Usenet is
certainly not dead and that subscriber numbers will prove that possibly
thousands still lurk the network.

--
CRYP7010G3R | Flee the swarm. | Join the horde. | Be the King Bee.
<beaf3e5bad327e7ca961162eed14e308$1@sybershock.com>

Re: Ping Sysops - New Subscriber Metrics Since Google Groupocalypse?

<b1b0b7079503787ab59dca02e3761ff6@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3623&group=alt.free.newsservers#3623

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 03:03:11 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
 by: D - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 02:03 UTC

On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:44:13 -0600, SugarBug <3883@sugar.bug> wrote:
>Would syspos please post a ballpark of the number of new subscribers on
>their servers since the google groupocalypse groupsspagheddon
>announcement? This information metric will be good for having as part
>of Usenet history.
>I hope you all are keeping track! My suspicion is that Usenet is
>certainly not dead and that subscriber numbers will prove that possibly
>thousands still lurk the network.

seems normal to download from news servers mainly to browse newsgroup
message lists and maybe download a few articles before subscribing to
that newsgroup, if only to read but not necessarily to post, hence to
lurk; but with g2n going asunder, probably many of those google users
are currently looking and/or have already found other news servers to
stay connected with their favorite usenet newsgroups; usenet is still
alive after all these years . . . and 22 february is 52 days from now

Re: Ping Sysops - New Subscriber Metrics Since Google Groupocalypse?

<un0e4n$2iupg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3625&group=alt.free.newsservers#3625

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,comp.internet.services.google,alt.comp.google,alt.google-sucks
Subject: Re: Ping Sysops - New Subscriber Metrics Since Google
Groupocalypse?
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:31:35 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 07:31 UTC

Am 01.01.2024 um 16:44:13 Uhr schrieb SugarBug:

> Would syspos please post a ballpark of the number of new subscribers
> on their servers since the google groupocalypse groupsspagheddon
> announcement?

For E-S, such statistics are available:
https://www.eternal-september.org/userstats.php

PS: Non-existing hierarchy google removed from crosspost

Re: Ping Sysops - New Subscriber Metrics Since Google Groupocalypse?

<f69cfe8cf36744c049451132bd528a85@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3626&group=alt.free.newsservers#3626

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 13:20:47 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
 by: D - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 12:20 UTC

On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:31:35 +0100, Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>Am 01.01.2024 um 16:44:13 Uhr schrieb SugarBug:
>> Would syspos please post a ballpark of the number of new subscribers
>> on their servers since the google groupocalypse groupsspagheddon
>> announcement?
>
>For E-S, such statistics are available:
>https://www.eternal-september.org/userstats.php
>PS: Non-existing hierarchy google removed from crosspost

had to look it up ... (using Tor Browser 13.0.8)
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Eternal+September+1993
> [...]
>point of view, the influx of new users in September 1993 never ended.
>History
>A 1994 t-shirt commemorating eternal September
>During the 1980s and early 1990s, Usenet and the Internet were generally the
>domain of dedicated computer professionals and hobbyists; new users joined
>slowly, in small numbers, and observed and learned the social conventions of
>online interaction without having much of an impact on the experienced users.
>The only exception to this was September of every year, when large numbers of
>first-year college students gained access to the Internet and Usenet through
>their universities. These large groups of new users who had not yet learned
>online etiquette created a nuisance for the experienced users, who came to
>dread September every year. Once ISPs like AOL made Internet access widely
>available for home users, a continuous influx of new users began, making it
>feel like it was always "September" to the more experienced users.[4]
>The full phrase appears to have evolved over a series of months on two
>separate alt.folklore newsgroups where a number of threads exist lamenting
>what they saw as an increase in low-quality posts across various newsgroups.
>Several members of the newsgroups referenced aspects of the "September"
>issue, typically in a joking manner.
>In a thread on January 8, 1994, Joel Furr cross-posted asking "Is it just me,
>or has Delphi unleashed a staggering amount of weirdos on the net?", which
>garnered a reply from Karl Reinsch "Of course it's perpetually September for
>Delphi users, isn't it?"[5] The day before, Furr had also posted the same
>message to alt.folklore.urban, where David Fischer responded with a joke
>call-to-action where he referred to the increasing numbers of Delphi users
>as the "Never-Ending-September".[6] Fischer also replied to a different
>thread on January 25, 1994, in alt.folklore.computers saying, "It's moot
>now. September 1993 will go down in net history as the September that never
>ended."[7][8] This quote has been suggested to have been the first
>reference.[9]
>Possibly the first use of the "Eternal September" phrase was a newsgroup
>post by John William Chambless in February 1994. He posted a rant including
>some excerpts of low-quality articles he found in one of his newsgroups that
>day, but titled the post "The Eternal September".[10]
>Legacy
>A tongue-in-cheek program called sdate outputs the current date, formatted
>using the Eternal September calendar (September X, 1993, where X is an
>unbounded counter for days since that epoch).[11] This is not the identically
>named sdate, one of the sixty commands that comes with the First Edition of
>Unix, that is used to set the system clock.[12] Named with similar humour is
>one of the free public Usenet servers, Eternal-September.org.[13]
[end quote]

Re: Ping Sysops - New Subscriber Metrics Since Google Groupocalypse?

<7bf2b36a3e0a.65789ea0@localhost>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3628&group=alt.free.newsservers#3628

Followup: alt.free.newsservers
From: nore...@spamfree.invalid (Ed Corman)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,comp.internet.services.google,alt.comp.google,alt.google-sucks
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:56:40 -0000
 by: Ed Corman - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:56 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 01.01.2024 um 16:44:13 Uhr schrieb SugarBug:
>
>> Would syspos please post a ballpark of the number of new subscribers
>> on their servers since the google groupocalypse groupsspagheddon
>> announcement?
>
> For E-S, such statistics are available:
> https://www.eternal-september.org/userstats.php

According to those statistics, E-S has *fewer* new subscribers than at
the same time a year ago.

Nov to Dec 2023 2022
new subscribers 100 300

Dec to Jan 2023-2024 2022-2023
new subscribers 200 1100

> PS: Non-existing hierarchy google removed from crosspost

Followups set to alt.free.newsservers only.