Counting in octal is just like counting in decimal--if you don't use your thumbs. -- Tom Lehrer

computers / alt.free.newsservers / News Server free still alive?

SubjectAuthor
* News Server free still alive?Colorblind
+* Re: News Server free still alive?Marco Moock
|+- Re: News Server free still alive?Colorblind
|`* Re: News Server free still alive?Peter
| `* Re: News Server free still alive?Paul
|  +* Re: News Server free still alive?david
|  |`* Re: News Server free still alive?Sn!pe
|  | `* Re: News Server free still alive?Retro Guy
|  |  `* Re: News Server free still alive?alaska bearlines
|  |   `- Re: News Server free still alive?Sn!pe
|  +- Re: News Server free still alive?D
|  `- Re: News Server free still alive?Marco Moock
+- Re: News Server free still alive?D
`- Re: News Server free still alive?Tony

1
News Server free still alive?

<uid4cp$3s10$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3416&group=alt.free.newsservers#3416

From: mio3t8rz...@opayq.com (Colorblind)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Subject: News Server free still alive?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:43:37 +0100
 by: Colorblind - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 10:43 UTC

Have You some suggestions?
I've already tested:
eternal-september (crappy)
solani (a bit slow)
I2pn2 (actually I'm using/testing this one)

Other possible suggestions by your side?
MTIA

anyway, my best past experioance was with AIOE.
I really hope Paolo will be back with AIOE in next year...

--
Colorblind

/through My Desktop Client/
*My masked mail is valid*

Re: News Server free still alive?

<uid6te$16t6e$8@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3417&group=alt.free.newsservers#3417

From: mm+sol...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Subject: Re: News Server free still alive?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:26:38 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:26 UTC

Am 07.11.2023 um 11:43:37 Uhr schrieb Colorblind:

> solani (a bit slow)

I use it every day and I can't confirm that.

Re: News Server free still alive?

<uidfbf$4a06$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3418&group=alt.free.newsservers#3418

From: mio3t8rz...@opayq.com (Colorblind)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:50:39 +0100
 by: Colorblind - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 13:50 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:26:38 +0100
Marco Moock <mm+solani@dorfdsl.de> wrote:

> Am 07.11.2023 um 11:43:37 Uhr schrieb Colorblind:
>
> > solani (a bit slow)
>
> I use it every day and I can't confirm that.

If compared with the old AIOE server, it's a bit slower.
In any case it still remains well usable.
Neither the best nor the worst :D ^^

--
Colorblind

/through My Desktop Client/
*My masked mail is valid*

Re: News Server free still alive?

<b03c034dcae9ee9cf23cd1e900b7de53@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3419&group=alt.free.newsservers#3419

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:45:57 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
 by: D - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:45 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:43:37 +0100, Colorblind <mio3t8rze3b@opayq.com> wrote:
>Have You some suggestions?
>I've already tested:
>eternal-september (crappy)
>solani (a bit slow)
>I2pn2 (actually I'm using/testing this one)
>Other possible suggestions by your side?
>MTIA
>anyway, my best past experioance was with AIOE.
>I really hope Paolo will be back with AIOE in next year...

mixmin and neodome are my favs, but this thread was cited as helpful . . .

From: Syber Shock <admin@sybershock.com>
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,news.admin.peering,rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Free News Servers Listing
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 03:59:49 -0500
>A list of free news server providers now lives at:
>https://sybershock.com/#usenet
>Peer operators and usenetizens: if there are more that may be added to
>the list please post them here or send to the sysop email on the site
>or in this message header.
>I would like to find and list every free NNTP host possible. This
>should include local niche sites that don't feed yet do allow public
>access.
[end quote]

Re: News Server free still alive?

<uinjnn$3cup8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3424&group=alt.free.newsservers#3424

From: confu...@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:06:46 +0000
 by: Peter - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:06 UTC

Marco Moock <mm+solani@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>> solani (a bit slow)
>
> I use it every day and I can't confirm that.

Solani won't take my email account.
I don't know why.

I tried twice.
Both times I got no response.

Maybe everyone gets no response?
Dunno.

ES took my Protonmail account.
But Solani wouldn't even respond.

Re: News Server free still alive?

<uintvs$3eq1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3425&group=alt.free.newsservers#3425

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 08:01:47 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:01 UTC

On 11/11/2023 5:06 AM, Peter wrote:
> Marco Moock <mm+solani@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>>> solani (a bit slow)
>>
>> I use it every day and I can't confirm that.
>
> Solani won't take my email account.
> I don't know why.
>
> I tried twice.
> Both times I got no response.
>
> Maybe everyone gets no response?
> Dunno.
>
> ES took my Protonmail account.
> But Solani wouldn't even respond.

I got no response as well.

I used my ISP email, which defines my country.
Rather than a non-descript gmail, which I figured would not work.

Maybe I'm just not physically close enough to Solani for it.

Paul

Re: News Server free still alive?

<uinuva$h643$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3426&group=alt.free.newsservers#3426

From: thi...@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 06:18:34 -0700
 by: david - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:18 UTC

Using <news:uintvs$3eq1g$1@dont-email.me>, Paul wrote:

>> ES took my Protonmail account.
>> But Solani wouldn't even respond.
>>

> I got no response as well.
>
> I used my ISP email, which defines my country.
> Rather than a non-descript gmail, which I figured would not work.
>
> Maybe I'm just not physically close enough to Solani for it.

Same with me.

No response from Solani a few weeks ago and I used a gmail account.

It could be the admin is no longer accepting requests (if he ever did).

Re: News Server free still alive?

<88b772a07d6bc8ce5d37f76a02da2620@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3427&group=alt.free.newsservers#3427

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:48:11 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
 by: D - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:48 UTC

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 08:01:47 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>>> I use it every day and I can't confirm that.
>> Solani won't take my email account.
>> I don't know why.
>> I tried twice.
>> Both times I got no response.
>> Maybe everyone gets no response?
>> Dunno.
>> ES took my Protonmail account.
>> But Solani wouldn't even respond.
>I got no response as well.
>I used my ISP email, which defines my country.
>Rather than a non-descript gmail, which I figured would not work.
>Maybe I'm just not physically close enough to Solani for it.
> Paul

others may wish to test this server . . .

(using Tor Browser 13.0.1)
https://www.solani.org/
https://www.solani.org/help/
https://www.solani.org/technical/
https://www.solani.org/register/
>You want to apply for the usage of news.solani.org? Just follow these three steps:
> Read our usage policy. Participating in the usenet covers human and technical
>aspects so we have to insist on our policy to be followed.
> Fill in and send in the application form shown below.
> You will receive your account data after activation at the given e-mail.
>E-Mail-Address
> Yes, I have read the usage policy and will comply with it.
[end quote]

Re: News Server free still alive?

<1qk1dxx.78u9tgq262pwN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3428&group=alt.free.newsservers#3428

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:08:17 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:08 UTC

david <this@is.invalid> wrote:

> Using <news:uintvs$3eq1g$1@dont-email.me>, Paul wrote:
>
> >> ES took my Protonmail account.
> >> But Solani wouldn't even respond.
> >>

> > I got no response as well.
> >
> > I used my ISP email, which defines my country.
> > Rather than a non-descript gmail, which I figured would not work.
> >
> > Maybe I'm just not physically close enough to Solani for it.
>
> Same with me.
>
> No response from Solani a few weeks ago and I used a gmail account.
>
> It could be the admin is no longer accepting requests (if he ever did).

He did, this is posted from my free account. (thanks, Solani admin)

--
Sn!pe

Re: News Server free still alive?

<be18790f9f78933e6b39773534270ca0@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3429&group=alt.free.newsservers#3429

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:40:05 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:40 UTC

Sn!pe wrote:

> david <this@is.invalid> wrote:

>> > I got no response as well.
>> >
>> > I used my ISP email, which defines my country.
>> > Rather than a non-descript gmail, which I figured would not work.
>> >
>> > Maybe I'm just not physically close enough to Solani for it.
>>
>> Same with me.
>>
>> No response from Solani a few weeks ago and I used a gmail account.
>>
>> It could be the admin is no longer accepting requests (if he ever did).
>>

> He did, this is posted from my free account. (thanks, Solani admin)

I created an account on 6 Nov and it worked fine. Not sure why it's not
working for some.

--
Retro Guy

Re: News Server free still alive?

<uio83u$1ca5c$5@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3430&group=alt.free.newsservers#3430

From: mm+sol...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 16:54:38 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:54 UTC

Am 11.11.2023 um 08:01:47 Uhr schrieb Paul:

> I got no response as well.

Contact him via usenet@news.solani.org

Re: News Server free still alive?

<aDR3N.11202$BbXa.9185@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3431&group=alt.free.newsservers#3431

Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
From: Ton...@TheDeliKing.ca (Tony)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:38:30 -0500
 by: Tony - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 20:38 UTC

Colorblind wrote:
> Have You some suggestions?
> I've already tested:
> eternal-september (crappy)
> solani (a bit slow)
> I2pn2 (actually I'm using/testing this one)
>
> Other possible suggestions by your side?
> MTIA
>
> anyway, my best past experioance was with AIOE.
> I really hope Paolo will be back with AIOE in next year...

I hope You're right I've been using AIOE ever since is came out until
it busted but good. I know its crud and can't crosspost but I still used
it anyway. If Paola wasn't so cheap he'd give everyone free binary
newsgroups with unlimited data.

Re: News Server free still alive?

<uiot50$2jnj7$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3432&group=alt.free.newsservers#3432

From: non...@gmx.net (alaska bearlines)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 21:53:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: alaska bearlines - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 21:53 UTC

retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote in

> Sn!pe wrote:
>
>> david <this@is.invalid> wrote:

>>> Same with me.
>>>
>>> No response from Solani a few weeks ago and I used a gmail account.
>>>
>>> It could be the admin is no longer accepting requests (if he ever
>>> did).
>>>

>> He did, this is posted from my free account. (thanks, Solani admin)
>
> I created an account on 6 Nov and it worked fine. Not sure why it's
> not working for some.

I had an account there for years, used it 99% of the time for just
reading. One day it was cancelled because my geo area was no longer
served or something to that effect.

Re: News Server free still alive?

<1qk1xor.9yziaa1bvnpigN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3433&group=alt.free.newsservers#3433

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 22:14:05 +0000
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 22:14 UTC

alaska bearlines <none@gmx.net> wrote:

> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote in
>
> > Sn!pe wrote:

> >> He did, this is posted from my free account. (thanks, Solani admin)
> >
> > I created an account on 6 Nov and it worked fine. Not sure why it's
> > not working for some.
>
> I had an account there for years, used it 99% of the time for just
> reading. One day it was cancelled because my geo area was no longer
> served or something to that effect.

It probably timed out for inactivity. My a/c has been purged a couple
of times for that, but was reinstated on request to the admin.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just is.

Google Groups articles not seen unless poster is whitelisted.