Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  login

Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.


computers / rocksolid.nodes.help / Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to authenticate

SubjectAuthor
* how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying tosugarbug
`* Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying toRetro Guy
 +- Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying toRetro Guy
 `* Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without tryingsugarbug
  `- Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying toRetro Guy

1
how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to authenticate
  rocksolid.nodes.help
Path: i2pn2.org!rocksolid2!.POSTED.tor-exit-49.for-privacy.net!not-for-mail
From: sugarbug3883@mail.ru (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to
authenticate
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 23:18:04 -0500
Organization: rocksolid2 (novabbs.org)
Message-ID: <tvoh0v$h69$1@novabbs.org>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 04:17:35 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: novabbs.org; posting-account="sugarbug"; posting-host="tor-exit-49.for-privacy.net:2a0b:f4c2:2::49";
logging-data="17609"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
Xref: rslight2 rocksolid.nodes.help:262
 by: sugarbug - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 04:18 UTC

I want to be able to pull from a open NNTP server without
authenticating. The remote peer is read-only INN2 and does not have or
require authentication to use reader mode.

Is there a way to hack rslight do this? If I just leave the credentials
empty in config will that work? Also I need to may sure the rslight
peer does not try to push any messages to the remote peer.

--

SugarBug

Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to authenticate
  rocksolid.nodes.help
Path: i2pn2.org!.POSTED.novabbs-org!not-for-mail
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to
authenticate
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:27:38 +0000
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Message-ID: <d2c75fd88e5522c88f4647984751262f@news.novabbs.org>
References: <tvoh0v$h69$1@novabbs.org>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: i2pn2.i2pn2.org; posting-account="novabbs.org"; posting-host="novabbs-org:10.136.143.187";
logging-data="18239"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@i2pn2.org"
User-Agent: Rocksolid Light 0.7.2
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.4.2 (2018-09-13) on novabbs.org
X-Rslight-Site: $2y$10$/eTDaDvt./fk14PR0mFocOWEM9zal4ekwn5/WI4/.j1Nu55rFXzKi
X-Rslight-Posting-User: 91053d4a47d51b416144568e5a1040f05e31ed1b
X-Face: .&YR-G(w(DZ$$,}%k=]*5*!p'=(anr"IT`wZG'2VWdfl\r)l[42u7JH`n(JUQ*e5*A|XCDf
?&\X&uwkl38"CYX3O8m}C8E4p'%N$2#kSTVzx{Ly|DjLT\Vk7NE}NQ(VC$Yq]i:7|z[.9iv^g>*8_B
H0=hZt'[%)4kG|
Xref: rslight2 rocksolid.nodes.help:263
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:27 UTC

sugarbug wrote:

> I want to be able to pull from a open NNTP server without
> authenticating. The remote peer is read-only INN2 and does not have or
> require authentication to use reader mode.

> Is there a way to hack rslight do this? If I just leave the credentials
> empty in config will that work? Also I need to may sure the rslight
> peer does not try to push any messages to the remote peer.

Empty credentials won't work, as it won't poll the remote server at all.

All polling the remote server work is done in /etc/rslight/scripts/spoolnews.php
It should be possible to disable authentication for $ns=nntp2(...) function
in /var/www/html/rocksolid/newsportal.php to accomplish what you are asking.

To avoid pushing articles to the remote server, it may be as simple as changing
permissions on /var/spool/rslight/<section_name)/outgoing to something that
www-data cannot write to.

Due to lock files, it "might" happen that an article is not written to the
local server due to the overview file being open at that moment. That should
be rare, but is possible.

The proper mod is to rewrite the code to handle this, but as I mentioned previously,
I am quite behind right now in rslight work, and not sure if you are aware, I'm
also quite sick, which leaves me very tired most of the time and without the
mental ability to focus on coding for more than an hour or so each day.

I'll get back to this feature in the future, but not right now. If you (or someone
else) would like to produce a patch for rslight to handle this, I would be happy to
review and apply :) Just please keep in in php as I don't want a dependence on
another language if not necessary.

--
Retro Guy

Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to authenticate
  rocksolid.nodes.help
Path: i2pn2.org!.POSTED.novabbs-org!not-for-mail
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to
authenticate
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:31:09 +0000
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Message-ID: <c8e6c7eceaf6ffc0af5953f5f1e52902@news.novabbs.org>
References: <tvoh0v$h69$1@novabbs.org> <d2c75fd88e5522c88f4647984751262f@news.novabbs.org>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: i2pn2.i2pn2.org; posting-account="novabbs.org"; posting-host="novabbs-org:10.136.143.187";
logging-data="18589"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@i2pn2.org"
User-Agent: Rocksolid Light 0.7.2
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.4.2 (2018-09-13) on novabbs.org
X-Rslight-Site: $2y$10$9dZbakmQxhc1b7IIipJWweFXs2Tf0BytBYuZcIMtLor7vdTQqTdJq
X-Rslight-Posting-User: 91053d4a47d51b416144568e5a1040f05e31ed1b
X-Face: .&YR-G(w(DZ$$,}%k=]*5*!p'=(anr"IT`wZG'2VWdfl\r)l[42u7JH`n(JUQ*e5*A|XCDf
?&\X&uwkl38"CYX3O8m}C8E4p'%N$2#kSTVzx{Ly|DjLT\Vk7NE}NQ(VC$Yq]i:7|z[.9iv^g>*8_B
H0=hZt'[%)4kG|
Xref: rslight2 rocksolid.nodes.help:264
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:31 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> sugarbug wrote:

>> I want to be able to pull from a open NNTP server without
>> authenticating. The remote peer is read-only INN2 and does not have or
>> require authentication to use reader mode.

>> Is there a way to hack rslight do this? If I just leave the credentials
>> empty in config will that work? Also I need to may sure the rslight
>> peer does not try to push any messages to the remote peer.

> Empty credentials won't work, as it won't poll the remote server at all.

> All polling the remote server work is done in /etc/rslight/scripts/spoolnews.php
> It should be possible to disable authentication for $ns=nntp2(...) function
> in /var/www/html/rocksolid/newsportal.php to accomplish what you are asking.

> To avoid pushing articles to the remote server, it may be as simple as changing
> permissions on /var/spool/rslight/<section_name)/outgoing to something that
> www-data cannot write to.

Now that I think of it, you may be able to simply comment out line 79 of cron.php
echo exec($CONFIG['php_exec']." ".$config_dir."/scripts/send.php");
This should keep rslight from trying to push to remote server.

> Due to lock files, it "might" happen that an article is not written to the
> local server due to the overview file being open at that moment. That should
> be rare, but is possible.

This would still be possible when commenting out 'send.php'.

> The proper mod is to rewrite the code to handle this, but as I mentioned previously,
> I am quite behind right now in rslight work, and not sure if you are aware, I'm
> also quite sick, which leaves me very tired most of the time and without the
> mental ability to focus on coding for more than an hour or so each day.

> I'll get back to this feature in the future, but not right now. If you (or someone
> else) would like to produce a patch for rslight to handle this, I would be happy to
> review and apply :) Just please keep in in php as I don't want a dependence on
> another language if not necessary.

--
Retro Guy

Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to authenticate
  rocksolid.nodes.help
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!rocksolid2!.POSTED.185.241.208.232!not-for-mail
From: sugarbug3883@mail.ru (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying
to authenticate
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 03:20:35 -0500
Organization: rocksolid2 (novabbs.org)
Message-ID: <u03gne$ak1$1@novabbs.org>
References: <tvoh0v$h69$1@novabbs.org>
<d2c75fd88e5522c88f4647984751262f@news.novabbs.org>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 08:19:58 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: novabbs.org; posting-account="sugarbug"; posting-host="185.241.208.232";
logging-data="10881"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
Xref: rslight2 rocksolid.nodes.help:265
 by: sugarbug - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 08:20 UTC

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:27:38 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

<truncated>
> The proper mod is to rewrite the code to handle this, but as I
> mentioned previously, I am quite behind right now in rslight work,
> and not sure if you are aware, I'm also quite sick, which leaves me
> very tired most of the time and without the mental ability to focus
> on coding for more than an hour or so each day.

Best wishes for your recovery. That you even bother to follow up shows
some dedication to your project. I don't want to put pressure on you to
change anything. I can send some patches your way when I have
everything ironed out.

> I'll get back to this feature in the future, but not right now. If
> you (or someone else) would like to produce a patch for rslight to
> handle this, I would be happy to review and apply :) Just please keep
> in in php as I don't want a dependence on another language if not
> necessary.

You may regret this suggestion ;) I am already setting up a codebase to
export some patches of changes I've made. I've also created a new
theme. I have been reading the php code and I added a few css classes
in there to allow themes to style those elements. Here and here when I
get the inspiration I am polishing it.

I'm trying not to overdo it or re-write the whole thing. The more you
squirm the more you learn.

I have two questions, if you don't mind me asking:

1. What country do you hail from?

2. Would you like some retro art rocksolid light and novaBBS banner
images for the new theme?

You will get to see the new theme in action on a public test server
probably by Easter weekend.

--

SugarBug

Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to authenticate
  rocksolid.nodes.help
Path: i2pn2.org!.POSTED.novabbs-org!not-for-mail
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: how to set rslight to pull from a read-only peer without trying to
authenticate
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:50:36 +0000
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Message-ID: <9b3d7e8c62847864474193034d755a11@news.novabbs.org>
References: <tvoh0v$h69$1@novabbs.org> <d2c75fd88e5522c88f4647984751262f@news.novabbs.org> <u03gne$ak1$1@novabbs.org>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: i2pn2.i2pn2.org; posting-account="novabbs.org"; posting-host="novabbs-org:10.136.143.187";
logging-data="27697"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@i2pn2.org"
User-Agent: Rocksolid Light 0.7.2
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.4.2 (2018-09-13) on novabbs.org
X-Rslight-Site: $2y$10$Qk9kp8OBYdr5pjlrHd1KFOHX4hylwmx7WslNKu3rPeyWWb.kG8e.2
X-Rslight-Posting-User: 91053d4a47d51b416144568e5a1040f05e31ed1b
X-Face: .&YR-G(w(DZ$$,}%k=]*5*!p'=(anr"IT`wZG'2VWdfl\r)l[42u7JH`n(JUQ*e5*A|XCDf
?&\X&uwkl38"CYX3O8m}C8E4p'%N$2#kSTVzx{Ly|DjLT\Vk7NE}NQ(VC$Yq]i:7|z[.9iv^g>*8_B
H0=hZt'[%)4kG|
Xref: rslight2 rocksolid.nodes.help:266
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:50 UTC

sugarbug wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:27:38 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> <truncated>

>> The proper mod is to rewrite the code to handle this, but as I
>> mentioned previously, I am quite behind right now in rslight work,
>> and not sure if you are aware, I'm also quite sick, which leaves me
>> very tired most of the time and without the mental ability to focus
>> on coding for more than an hour or so each day.

> Best wishes for your recovery. That you even bother to follow up shows
> some dedication to your project. I don't want to put pressure on you to
> change anything. I can send some patches your way when I have
> everything ironed out.

Thank you for your understanding :) I really enjoy rslight as a project
and plan to continue support as long as I am able, which is hopefully
a long time!

>> I'll get back to this feature in the future, but not right now. If
>> you (or someone else) would like to produce a patch for rslight to
>> handle this, I would be happy to review and apply :) Just please keep
>> in in php as I don't want a dependence on another language if not
>> necessary.

> You may regret this suggestion ;) I am already setting up a codebase to
> export some patches of changes I've made. I've also created a new
> theme. I have been reading the php code and I added a few css classes
> in there to allow themes to style those elements. Here and here when I
> get the inspiration I am polishing it.

> I'm trying not to overdo it or re-write the whole thing. The more you
> squirm the more you learn.

I look forward to your patches. It will be nice to have another person's
perspective on new features and fixes, not just my own.

> I have two questions, if you don't mind me asking:

> 1. What country do you hail from?

I'm in the U.S. The desert Southwest.

> 2. Would you like some retro art rocksolid light and novaBBS banner
> images for the new theme?

Sounds interesting. I'd be happy to see it!

> You will get to see the new theme in action on a public test server
> probably by Easter weekend.

Just let us know when you're ready to present your theme online and I
will certainly take a look and provide feedback. A new theme would be
very nice to see.

--
Retro Guy

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.1
clearnet tor