19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

aus+uk / aus.computers / Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

SubjectAuthor
* Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theChris Baird
+* Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theChris Baird
|`* Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theMarco Moock
| `* Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theChris Baird
|  `- Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theMarco Moock
+* Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theMax
|+- Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theOzix
|+- Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theXeno
|`- Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theInternet happJared
+- Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theGary R. Schmidt
`- Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet hapComputer Nerd Kev

1
Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

<td7ogm$1qvt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3008&group=aus.computers#3008

Followup: aus.computers
From: cjb+use...@brushtail.apana.org.au (Chris Baird)
Newsgroups: aus.net.access,aus.computers
Subject: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the
Internet happened
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:48:21 +1000
 by: Chris Baird - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 08:48 UTC

Hello Usenet, my old friend. What follows is an account of a bit of
nearly forgotten Australian Internet history... (No I don't have a
blog.)

* * *

On the 14th of August 1992, 30 years ago today, the Newcastle-based
Public Access Unix system "Scorch", did its first email with the
Internet.

It most certainly wasn't the first 'Internet' access available to
anyone living in Newcastle. The University had computer-based
messaging since the 1980s (DECnet, ACSnet) and joined the "network of
networks" with the TCP/IP-based AARNet in the 1st? week of March 1990.
Access was as you would expect limited to Students, Staff, and
associated organizations (like BHP Labs) and it had a very savage by
today's standards Acceptable Usage Policy:- for Academic purposes
only; and it was enforced with drastic consequences, being: losing the
mainframe computer access necessary for your coursework ==> no Uni
Degree for you.

There was also the companies Pegasus, DIALix, and RUNX, providing a
gateway to Internet email at the national level; but those cost about
$1/minute and had monthly fees, on top of the phone rental and
long-distance call charges.

But Scorch, owned by Michael Brown (aka DoctorRock/ZenHarris), and
maintained with the help of a small group of mostly students and
unemployed, was the first any-nerd-off-the-street access to the
international Internet community in Newcastle and NSW.

* * *

At the start of the 1990s, Newcastle had a well-established
Fidonet-software Bulletin Board presence of 5 years or so, with about
25 dial-up BBSes in the immediate Newcastle/Lower Hunter area. There
were also BBSes that had been operating during the mid-1980s, running
on CP/M, Apple][s, MSDOS, and Commodore 64s, that sprung up when the
need for permits[!] for modems was dropped by Telecom/Telstra.
However, the Fidonet system was a network, where messages could be
sent and received with users on a different Fidonet BBS.

I might as well include a list of local SysOps, as they're certainly
also the forgotten electronic networking pioneers of Newcastle. Do you
remember anyone? (or any of you still here??):

Alistair Harding, Andre Van Eyssen, Andrew Bergquist, Andrew
Glazebrook, Andrew Guy, Andrew Kenna, Arie Upton, Brendan Hancock,
Chris Ruwoldt, Chris Smoother, Daniel Oost, David Jaillet, David
Lyons, Dick Strickleton, Geoff Bilborough, Ian Mason, Jared Quinn,
Jason Bowe, Jason Mulligan, John Cocklin, John Fisher, Jon Fisher,
Matthew Taylor, Peter Deane, Peter Thompson, Phillip Eastham, Raine
Reinikka, Robert Stephens, Ross Slade, Scott Mackenzie, Simon
Phillips, Stan White, Stuart Gibson, Tony & Michael Dodds, Tony &
Helen Terbizan, Troy Harper.

Fidonet had a reputation, and it wasn't a good one--imagine the worst
of social media today, without anywhere near to the amount of
government or police attention that occurs today. (Unless you did
something really attention-attractingly bad ..and a few certainly
did). The scene was very much influenced by the Cyberpunk Hacker
dramatic. But it was still accessible tech: 25-35 years ago, rather
than running your own Discord server and finding others to hang out,
it was running a dial-up BBS.

Michael had been trying to participate in the BBS scene. It needed
more effort on his part because his computer Scorch ran UNIX, and Fido
was almost entirely MSDOS, OS/2, and Amiga systems, with source code
and published standards not being a thing. So everything had to be
created from scratch-- but he was a programmer.

Yours truly never got into BBSes. I was vaccinated back in 1986 from a
high-school friend Peter Cousins' collection of lineprinter printouts
that he'd procured from his Year 10 work experience at the Uni. On the
hardcopy was this incredible free global electronic discussion network
called 'Usenet Newsgroups', made up of Universities/Colleges and
serious Computer companies, and something called the Internet was its
primary way of being distributed.

On the Usenet there was Unix, the C Programming Language, source code
being freely passed around (legally! Go ahead and copy that floppy!),
Richard Stallman's GNU Project, participants from /everywhere/, and
college-level (better than teenage-boy-level..) humor in
net.jokes--type control-X for the good ones.

When I got to University as a B.Sc student in 1989, I leapt from a
Commodore 64 to the mainframes, and quickly became a CPU-time burning
bother, mostly on systems I didn't have authority to use.

(My computing personal history isn't the story for this post ..but let
it be known when the Uni's AARNet connection arrived in 1990, within
an hour I was the first person in Newcastle to download a megabyte of
pron from the Internet! :) ..but back in those days, that meant small
16-colour GIFs of Samantha Fox..)

Towards the end of the first year of Newcastle Uni being connected to
AARNet, there were grumblings in the Computer Services department and
'The Computing Senate' of banning Undergrads from using it. Hmm, it
was time to pursue independent access. I needed my Usenet newsgroups
and Email.

Personal/non-institutional access to the Internet was in 1990-1991
becoming a thing in the USA, and it hadn't escaped my attention that
Mark Gregson in Melbourne had started the Pubnet Unix network
"pub.uu.oz.au" between Victoria and South Australia. However, a
computer with UNIX for an operating system was somewhat required, and
those weren't cheap-- perhaps a $1500 (in 1991 money) spend for the
most minimal-and-compromised MINIX or Coherent system-- and I was
getting just ~$80/week from AUSTUDY.

However, a list posted to Usenet of public-access Unix systems in
Australia had Michael's Scorch on it, and it was only a local call[!]
away in Broadmeadow. A Sydney-side Unix developer Nick Langmaid, who
Michael had been swapping magnetic tapes of source code with, had
dropped his name in there.

Speaking to Michael on the phone was promptly done, and was told his
system was trying to bring UNIX to the (dial-up Fidonet) masses,
however it wasn't connected to Usenet or the Internet.

So I got invited over to 'House Harris' (a SF Movie reference I
believe) at 63 Brunker Rd Broadmeadow (then painted blue, with lots of
suspicious smells and Underground Band noises--Michael was also a
Muso), bringing with me lots of printouts from the Net to show there
were uncountable numbers of University Students in Newcastle who would
prefer the power of the UNIX command-line to the menu-based BBS
interfaces, and how it would be a seriously positive thing to connect
to that global Internet, with its Unix developers and the other
intellectually fun stuff (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5, alt.tv.simpsons...)

I didn't doubt Michael's interest when I saw his cotton jacket that
had a handmade bikie-style patch on the back with:

UNIX

(UNIX is the computer operating system "that runs the Internet", and
UUCP is the UNIX-to-UNIX Copy Program that handled the dial-up
networking before SL/IP, PPP, etc. became available.)

Scorch-- sometimes known as the Craggenmore BBS-- was a god-box of its
age: an 80386SX running at 16 MHz, with 4MB of RAM, 2 full-height
SCSI1 drives (250MB total storage?), and a Mini Cooper engine
temperature gauge to catch it overheating. (Yes, computers running at
16 MHz could overheat..) It ran a SCO/Microsoft version of UNIX called
Xenix. Back then, the number of UNIX variants available for <$10,000
could be counted on one hand, and remove a few fingers if you wanted
networking too.

The Usenet printouts were studied, and Michael pulled the trigger on
making Scorch Internet-ready and waiting for dial-up command-line
users. Upgrades to Xenix were FTP'd, Usenet software and other free
must-haves (emacs, gcc, perl..) were procured via my student account,
and a bit of a sneaked Newsgroup feed to see it all working.

Meanwhile, I spread the word in the Uni computer rooms that Scorch was
available, and we were aiming at getting email and news access for it.
About 6 were initially interested (and a few who went "eww, UUCP!?"
:P) It was becoming towards the end of the year, when Undergrads lost
their computer access, so good timing. Michael went around telling the
Unix users who he knew on the BBS side he was going to provide the raw
and pure Unix experience, instead of trying to fit in with Fido.

Here's another list of names:- of the original Scorch Public Access
Unix community:

Myself=Chris Baird, Michael "Zen Harris" Brown, Matt McLeod, Brett
Rees, Andrew Glazebrook, Jared Quinn, Leon Garde, Luke Plazier
(Newcastle Linux User#1 just about), David Gardener, Peter Longworth,
Ross Slade, Bill Keir, Chris Deer (who split to start HunterLink
because we thought the 0055/1-900 Internet idea sucked..), Marcus
Westbury, Footlice Theatre, Greg Hore, Steph Curry, Ian Dixon, Philip
Eastham ...and there's certainly more, who were Michael's friends that
I didn't really know.

And the non-human members, being the computers on the local network
being their own Internet email deliverable sites:

scorch, glencoe/brushtail, albion, wotan, cleopatra, columbia,
beastmaster, toaster, guardian, kumear, helix, kastlore, krikkit,
rlyeh, vortex, comtel, elands, darkside, nemesis, nest, tomaree,
yoyodyne, zzap (...and 30 or so more, but I recall these being the
earliest machines connected)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

<td7p74$4gu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3009&group=aus.computers#3009

Followup: aus.computers
From: cjb+use...@brushtail.apana.org.au (Chris Baird)
Newsgroups: aus.computers,aus.net.access
Internet happened
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 19:00:20 +1000
 by: Chris Baird - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 09:00 UTC

Here's a few extra bits of story that were a bit cluttery or
irrelevant to the main post...

The system "albion" was a 386 Linux desktop installed in Michael's
Mini Cooper S (a car with its own email address in 1993..). iirc it
was powered from a battery with a DIY voltage regulator, with the
normal PC power supply being removed. There was also a coax Ethernet
cable from the house to the driveway-- laptops with Wifi hadn't been
invented then!

The FTP site where I downloaded that diskette's worth of Sam Fox?
ftp.apple.com! There was a "/pub/tmp/images/" directory on the
Macintosh IIsi that was the company's first Internet server. There was
also a good collection of Space/NASA images too, which I also took. Oh
god why do I still remember that..

Our email addresses back in August 1992 were a bit of a mess, in
having to use a few hacks to be passed through several networks. That
first message sent from a Maths department machine to my account on
Scorch had to be addressed to <scorch!chrbai@werple.pub.uu.oz.au>

Michael's friend (of the not-involved-much-with-me category) Adam
Walsh bought a newly-released 2G mobile phone while visiting the
States, those not being available in Australia as yet, and Michael
gave it a good hard test beating: sending a 16kB SMS through an
experimental Telstra email->SMS gateway. (Ever tried the read the GNU
Public Licence on a tiny 80x48 pixel screen? There's someone who has!)
It was a pity the technicians monitoring the system immediately
knocked down the maximum message size for the rest of the night, and
it wasn't long before the 140 character limit and paying for SMS
happened. It would be another 10ish years before email to phones
reappeared in Australia. Damn Telstra.

* EVERYONE HATES TELSTRA *

In 1994, Telstra was pushing so that any use of landline phones for
data/modem calls had to have a 'business' line service, those being
something like $70 a month, instead of the $11/m residential rate.
This would've killed off all the Start-up ISPs (that didn't kiss the
Telstra ring), APANA public-access systems, and the Fidonet BBS
communities (who were still around until about 2001). I went along to
the big protest meeting at a ?Hamilton RSL with about 60-80 other
people-- likely the biggest gathering of BBS operators that'd ever
happened in Newcastle. Luckily, a member of APANA (I haven't explained
yet: The Australian Public Access Network Association, made up of
public-access Unix systems like Scorch and Brushtail) who was a
Secretary for a Queensland State Minister and everyone's go-to for
understanding the Internet up there, was able to have a chat with the
Federal Communications Minister Richard Alston to explain that
something really bogus was about to happen, and two weeks later the
attempt was officially quashed.

But that was nothing new from Telstra: in 1993, there was a leak of a
confidential Telstra memo to the aus.aarnet newsgroup (AARNet having
being recently handed-over to Telstra-- only the guy who got a job out
of it thought was a good idea) that they were going to push for all
Internet use necessitating the users spending $200/month, comparable
to the spend for ISDN leased lines, and trying to have it legislated
so ordinary voice-line data use be categorized as such.

(And in 1995, Telstra did get "B-class networking" made illegal. It
didn't affect the HNA or APANA, but commercial ISPs couldn't share
their mutual traffic or give their nearby customers a zero-cost
Ethernet cable run-- all Internet had to go through Telstra and their
coin-box, which at the time was about $75/gigabyte. Telstra were also
lying about the costs of International traffic-- when they had Tier 1
Network no-cost peering agreements with the rest of the world.)

Older netizens would certainly remember that Australia used to be the
\*3rd\* biggest user of the Internet... before Telstra came along, and
they systematically and legislatively blocked all innovation and open
access which the Net was all about. We then found ourselves ranked at
#50 by the mid-2000s. Don't blame Rupert Murdoch--everyone saw Telstra
Management were at the same mental level as a bogan who drinks all
their wage while their kids go to school without shoes.

*There's some of us out there who would rather live and die with no
phone at all than to use Telstra...*

Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

<td7v9a$jut$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3010&group=aus.computers#3010

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Internet happened
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 20:43:52 +1000
 by: Max - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 10:43 UTC

That was an interesting time to have gone through uni.

Not many people would have that experience. Experiencing a
technological revolution in front of your eyes.

<oegksi-2r8.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3011&group=aus.computers#3011

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Internet happened
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 22:02:03 +1000
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 12:02 UTC

On 13/08/2022 18:48, Chris Baird wrote:
> Hello Usenet, my old friend. What follows is an account of a bit of
> nearly forgotten Australian Internet history... (No I don't have a
> blog.)

[SNIP memories]

I might have been the person who gave Mark Gregson a copy of Xenix-286,
he had an MPM-86 box, multi-user CP/M, I can't recall where he got it,
fell of the back of truck leaving CSIRO or something, which he was using
as a BBS.

He'd scored a '286 from somewhere, with a 40(?) Mb disk, and he wanted
to try something different, there was a BBS system for UNIX boxes, XBBS,
I ran it on my '286 for a while as well.

I had the source, might be on a floppy or tape in a box somewhere,
probably easier to run down an archive of comp.source.unix than find a
working floppy drive, or a QIC-40 tape drive. :-)

All so long ago and far away!

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

<20220813151920.5353f51a@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3012&group=aus.computers#3012

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Internet happened
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:19:20 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 13:19 UTC

Am Samstag, 13. August 2022, um 19:00:20 Uhr schrieb Chris Baird:

> The system "albion" was a 386 Linux desktop installed in Michael's
> Mini Cooper S (a car with its own email address in 1993..).

Why did he have a desktop computer with Ethernet in his car?
Was it turned on when driving the car?
Did the HDD survive?

> That first message sent from a Maths department machine to my account
> on Scorch had to be addressed to <scorch!chrbai@werple.pub.uu.oz.au>

Looks like UUCP.

PS: I wasn't even born when all this happened...

Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

<td8ef9$j0a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3013&group=aus.computers#3013

From: cjb+use...@brushtail.apana.org.au (Chris Baird)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Internet happened
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 01:03:04 +1000
 by: Chris Baird - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:03 UTC

On 8/13/22 11:19 PM, Marco Moock wrote:
> Why did he have a desktop computer with Ethernet in his car?
> Was it turned on when driving the car?
> Did the HDD survive?

I would doubt it very much, drive head collisions from every bump
in the road, and etc..

But driving up to Mt Sugarloaf or to the Newcastle foreshore for
a Linux sess sounds reasonable to me...

After I moved away from Newcastle, Michael got his Amateur
Radio licence and had Albion doing Packet Radio, with
a friend of his connecting to it while he was mobile.

>> on Scorch had to be addressed to <scorch!chrbai@werple.pub.uu.oz.au>
> Looks like UUCP.

Indeed. A bit later on the addresses became like
<cjb%brushtail@werple.pub.oz.au>, and later done properly.

--
Chris

Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

<20220813191121.2d7c98da@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3014&group=aus.computers#3014

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Internet happened
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 19:11:21 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 17:11 UTC

Am Sonntag, 14. August 2022, um 01:03:04 Uhr schrieb Chris Baird:

> Indeed. A bit later on the addresses became like
> <cjb%brushtail@werple.pub.oz.au>, and later done properly.

Looks like sendmail's percent hack. Is my guess right?

Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

<62f82f00@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3015&group=aus.computers#3015

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 14 Aug 2022 09:08:48 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:08 UTC

Thanks for the write-up, very interesting.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

<62f8eda7@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3016&group=aus.computers#3016

Internet happened
Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: ozi...@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:42:14 +0800
 by: Ozix - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 12:42 UTC

Max wrote:
> That was an interesting time to have gone through uni.
>
> Not many people would have that experience.  Experiencing a
> technological revolution in front of your eyes.

Not quite as early as that, but I recall going to the uni library just
before Xmas hols in 1993 and somebody had installed Mosaic browser on
one of the computers. Not many websites to look at, but you just knew
this was going to be big.

Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened

<jltpdbFp3blU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3017&group=aus.computers#3017

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Internet happened
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:30:01 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 02:30 UTC

On 13/8/2022 8:43 pm, Max wrote:
> That was an interesting time to have gone through uni.
>
> Not many people would have that experience.  Experiencing a
> technological revolution in front of your eyes.

My first foray into computers was in late 81. That picture of Michael
crouched beside his beast is just so so familiar to me. One of my
friends, who worked at Telecom (Telstra in an earlier iteration) head
office used to be a Fidonet relay who used his *untimed* work phone to
transfer data all around Australia. My first foray into usenet was
~1992, IIRC, and using the Unix command line on another friend's dial up
Unix server, a Sun SPARCstation. Heady days.

> On 13/08/2022 6:48 pm, Chris Baird wrote:
>> Hello Usenet, my old friend. What follows is an account of a bit of
>> nearly forgotten Australian Internet history... (No I don't have a
>> blog.)

<snipped>

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,theInternet happened

<62FAC016.57.usenet_auscomp@jumpleft.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3026&group=aus.computers#3026

From: jar...@jumpleft.com.remove-j3t-this (Jared)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 21:52:22 +1000
 by: Jared - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 11:52 UTC

To: Max

> That was an interesting time to have gone through uni.
> Not many people would have that experience. Experiencing a
> technological revolution in front of your eyes.

This story actually caused me to skip uni!! (but that ended up not being a bad
thing)!

Because of Michael, Chris, APANA, scorch and everything in this story when I
was 17 (and a highschool dropout) I landed my first job as a Unix sysadm for a
commercial ISP - already having had 5 years of internet experience after
accidentally finding a shell on scorch one day. Following that moved to SCO
and VMS admin for a mining company and then on to BHP IT/CSC working in their
Sun Solaris CoE for years, moved to Sydney in 2004 and contracted for a decade,
mostly in IT Infrastructure and now days am a 'creative technologist' merging
computer and broadcast tech.

Michael, after realising I was a 12 year old kid who'd already been programming
in BASIC, ARexx and Pascal he kind of took me under his wing.... he let me
continue being an Emacs user (that nasty little hangover from my Amiga time
with Memacs) it wasn't til I worked for that ISP that the senior admin forced
me to use vi (and 25 years later I can't use any other editor).

Thank you to everyone in the BBS and Internet scene in Newcastle; all the folks
in this story and more. You all played a role in that.

Jared
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Linux NewsLink 1.113
Jump to the Left (and a step to the right) ssh+telnet://jumpleft.com

aus+uk / aus.computers / Thirty years ago today, Newcastle's Free & Public access to,the Internet happened