Subject: Re: status update
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 10:05 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 10:05 UTC
View all headers
anon wrote:

to make any necessary conversion for vichan on the clients side

and this is all the more true because for vichan to build threads all answers need to have the op as the first reference, which is not respected by def3 and def4 when composing the messages. so some internal logic needs to implemented anyway on the clients side for this to work.

I believe rslight lists the first reference (that it's aware of) in the References: header. I didn't write that code, but I think it works that way.

news.novabbs.com

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 11:41 UTC
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:41:17+0000

I believe rslight lists the first reference (that it's aware of) in the References: header. I didn't write that code, but I think it works that way.

yes, rslight does this, but not fudforum and bbs. so all messages need to checked and modified (if necessary), before they can be posted to vichan.
of course you could also change this on fudforum and bbs, but it is more work, and you would have to redo this each time you adopt a new software. better to do this on the side of the software that needs it, i think.

Posted on def4

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 01:43 UTC
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 01:43:41+0000

open:

-fix date for message import
-fix proper handling of attachments from imported messages

the 2nd one turns out to be harder than it looked. only to parse out the textparts from a multipart message still fails too often, partly due to the many different ways clients use to compose the message body i guess. damn. that sure was easy with message_read from newsportal...
found some libs on github for email parsing (which should be basically the same thing), but they are either not functional or with a lot of deps again. damn... guess i will have to implement this by myself, before i can even think about detecting and decoding attachments.

any thoughts ?

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 05:53 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 05:53 UTC
View all headers
anon wrote:

open:

-fix date for message import
-fix proper handling of attachments from imported messages

the 2nd one turns out to be harder than it looked. only to parse out the textparts from a multipart message still fails too often, partly due to the many different ways clients use to compose the message body i guess. damn. that sure was easy with message_read from newsportal...
found some libs on github for email parsing (which should be basically the same thing), but they are either not functional or with a lot of deps again. damn... guess i will have to implement this by myself, before i can even think about detecting and decoding attachments.

any thoughts ?

I'll send you my script when I get home later. It's basically message_read separate from newsportal --
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 08:12 UTC
Attachments: vichan.php.txt (text/plain)
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 08:12 UTC
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

anon wrote:

open:

-fix date for message import
-fix proper handling of attachments from imported messages

the 2nd one turns out to be harder than it looked. only to parse out the textparts from a multipart message still fails too often, partly due to the many different ways clients use to compose the message body i guess. damn. that sure was easy with message_read from newsportal...
found some libs on github for email parsing (which should be basically the same thing), but they are either not functional or with a lot of deps again. damn...
guess i will have to implement this by myself, before i can even think about detecting and decoding attachments.

any thoughts ?

I'll send you my script when I get home later.
It's basically message_read separate from newsportal

It's attached here. It's all the code necessary from rslight to produce the output, but it is not linked to the site, so it can be run independently.

If you want to use it, it needs a little cleaning up as the spool location is hard coded, and probably a couple of other things.

Retro Guy

Attachments: vichan.php.txt (text/plain)
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:17 UTC
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 10:17:26+0000

It's basically message_read separate from newsportal

you mean i could just include this without all the rest of newsportal (like a standalone function or class) ? that would be wonderful.

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 09:10 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 09:10 UTC
View all headers
anon wrote:

It's basically message_read separate from newsportal

you mean i could just include this without all the rest of newsportal (like a standalone function or class) ? that would be wonderful.

That "should" be how it works. I ran it numerous times on my test site, and also ran it quite a few times through the nntp server, and I have not noticed any issues.

www.novabbs.com

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 09:27 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 09:27 UTC
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

anon wrote:

It's basically message_read separate from newsportal

you mean i could just include this without all the rest of newsportal (like a standalone function or class) ? that would be wonderful.

That "should" be how it works. I ran it numerous times on my test site, and also ran it quite a few times through the nntp server, and I have not noticed any issues.

I should say I ran it as a standalone script:
$msg = shell_exec("/etc/rslight/scripts/vichan.php ".$command[1]." ".$group);

It's basically 'vichan.php <article_number> <group>' Right now it echos a serialzed output, that can easily be changed back to the class with unserialize(...);

Again, if you do this you'll need to not hardcode the directories, etc.

www.novabbs.com