Subject: Re: Dropbox service on i2p
From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-qac-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:03 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:12:56 -0400
"trw" <trw@i2pmail.org> wrote:

check out a similar service, with a lot more features (in fact, it is
based on the code of dropbox, but not compatible anymore):

http://boxs.i2p
http://owm3fy2t5vwbxowk5gsshihkwjfknqq7y4ylbeyhvzta7r3ybrpq.b32.i2p/
http://boxs.i2p/?i2paddresshelper=btgtA~3zYWhhynEfFjLQTJvI7ICO40ze-z97BwBkC-igTPLIzbotH7rPc-BTxh8AHFQBpagEswqIF678kSue0-pgQq8BIjsmbfaWwuI3DFEHgoO7OoJW8ruO5xSsFdTSSF-KiksJNMPUEU8SZ0Ue0nwxm7NsBzbgzXPOZYMad3S6fC4b1oxFpb3MZ6oMBMsmm8t7hJ3duRgNtL2CvlDdkSLDnj3aMO2~uhc1cy7q9ko8JKR3dHxCtgM-qQF~TllO2b9ad9bLzb1mELipTqVcg3rPUmZ3lHQ1Ri9Ka3xUvb6mbS556pKKCemFsfK2dSRb701K~SsKf1f9NB56EjiL7AmqrarCEytIXbgfUtSvLzhnCr-Cc1LT68yVFl3BQjqX6VGSx1IVelnkkfUzQSb0-gpR6Vj-LxMvmuITAXH8LJiwNddwl7md6-z-DZjLDEyV3Xnw7OX8RbR7QCSkfCZe0A726NdnWeuwEGISwPs6a2sRkMgES5B90czNkAnkGzL0BQAEAAcAAA%3d%3d

http://ana5icnp3au4qy5i.onion/

it is still in development, but already usable.

This is looking very nice!

Just did a small upload, works fine. I'll be playing with it some more
later to check out all the features. Great work!

Retro Guy

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:25 UTC
why thank you, i aim to please :-)

the feature i am most proud of is the private box, as it required really deep digging into the cli options for gpg. in the end, it was simple as usual, but the way to find out was...well, a hard one...

i think it will be the last web service i do in bash. something mightier is called for...

From: Retro Guy@rslight.anon (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:59 UTC
anonymous wrote:

i think it will be the last web service i do in bash. something mightier is called for...

Do you have a language in mind? Just curious. I'm impressed what you've accomplished with bash but can certainly understand that other methods might be the direction to go.

I use php because I'm familiar with it, but there are some other methods out there that work well. Synchronet uses ssjs, which is interesting.

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 21:46 UTC

php to hack around in rislight/ff/$forum_software
python for my own projects

btw, how do you adjust the reload time on rslight ? i have lost already two text drafts because the frame reloaded while i was typing ....

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:00 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 21:46:57+0000
trw <trw@anon.com> wrote:

php to hack around in rislight/ff/$forum_software
python for my own projects

btw, how do you adjust the reload time on rslight ? i have lost
already two text drafts because the frame reloaded while i was
typing ....

Oh, that's not good. The reload is 600 seconds. I really only wanted to
apply this to the group list, but I was lazy and just let it apply to
all pages.

Maybe I should just remove that entirely. In 'head.inc', remove this
line:

I'll remove it from 0.6.3

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 10:08 UTC
did that now....testing....

to pass the time: i still have the hope that i/we could develop a universal interface one day that lets you plug any php/sql based forum software into inn2.

it would be about hijacking two functions:

1) when the forum software receives a message and writes it to the db, a function must be triggered that posts the same message to a newsgroup. the function is existing already (for example as part of rslight), so it would be only to call it and hand it over the right parameters (either directly, or just pointers to the db)

2) when a message is received in a newsgroup, a function must post the same message to a forum. Here it would be about handing the right parameters to the forum function and let it do its work.

i bet the code that you have written for rslight could be easily adapted to serve any forum software based on php/sql. that would be really neat, as it would lower the bar to participate in federation by a lot, since the admin would not have to migrate to a new software, just install a plugin.

writing 9 min now...doing crtl+a crtl+c all the time ... :-)
but seems to be working....

From: Retro Guy@rslight.anon (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 05:18 UTC
anonymous wrote:

[...]

I've also put some thought into this, but haven't pursued anything yet as I've just been focusing on rslight to get rid of some of the major bugs (which has been done to a good extent)

I agree with your thoughts and observations, and have still the thought that it's good to find the "best" way to do it from the start:

Do we write an interface script? Something along the lines of pullnews and do all the work without any plugins, just run the script? This requires specific code for every variation of database layouts of web interface software.

Do we write a plugin that does as you state above, post to the db and to nntp server at the same time? This is what fudforum does. Then to work the other direction, we need a plugin to pull articles from the nntp server (fudforum uses nntp.php)

Looking at nntp.php (ff), it works reasonably well, but is of course written specifically for ff, and depends on other files included, and config files. It would take some time to modify it to work with other software, but still might be a good basis to start from.

Posting to the nntp server is easy, probably easier than pulling articles from a db, modifying them (for nntp format) and then posting them.

At this point, I lean toward a plugin for posting, and a script for pulling. This is how ff does it, and it seems to be a reasonable way to do it. rslight already contains the code to produce nntp messages, which we can of course modify as needed.

I would like to take some time to dissect nntp.php and see how simple I can bring it down (removing dependencies on ff, etc.). Then try to get it working just writing a plain text file. Once that works, we try to write directly to a db. What do you think?

For a plugin, it should be a simple matter of adding nntp config, then taking the variables containing post info and structuring into a var for nntp format, then just send it with rpost or similiar.

These are my current thoughts, I'd like to try to agree on what method we feel is best, then we can each get some testing started.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts