rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes.help / Re: overboard is back

SubjectAuthor
* rslight rebuild ?anonymous
+* Re: rslight rebuild ?anonymous
|`- Re: rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
+- Re: rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
+* Re: rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
|`* Re: rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
| `* Re: rslight rebuildanon
|  `* Re: rslight rebuildanon
|   `* Re: rslight rebuildanon
|    `* Re: rslight rebuildRetro Guy
|     `- Re: rslight rebuildanonymous
+- Re: rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
+- tried that now before i upgradeAnonymous
+* ok, that did the trickAnonymous
|`- Re: ok, that did the trickRetro Guy
+- pulled all the groups again nowAnonymous
+* overboard is backAnonymous
|`* Re: overboard is backRetro Guy
| `- Re: overboard is backRetro Guy
`* overboardAnonymous
 `- Re: overboardRetro Guy

Subject: Re: rslight rebuild
From: anonymous@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 14:11 UTC
Let's see what happens after applying 0.6.5.d as there are some changes that "might" help.

that will take me some time. i will be back.
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

From: retroguy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:03 UTC
anonymous wrote:

is there an option to rebuild all the indeces that rslight uses ? there
are some articles that are on the news server, but are not displayed on
def2 (although the time of posting is shown under "latest post").

The design of spoolnews is to never get to the code to write the overview if
an article is not downloaded. Hopefully, articles don't show up in overview
that don't exist (I have not seen it happen yet).

At some point I will write a script to clean and fix indexes, but right now
that does not exist.

You can always remove the :xx from the end of a group name in
/var/spool/rslight/<section>/<server>.txt. This is the record of the last
received article from the upstream server. If you reduce that number, or
remove it entirely, it will start from a lower number. This is harmless as
when/if it tries to pull existing articles, it will just reject them. It
checks <group.name>-overview to see if the article exists (by message-id).

This is much faster in 0.6.5d, but works fine in 0.6.5c, just uses more
bandwidth.

Retro Guy

Subject: tried that now before i upgrade
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 16:01 UTC
You can always remove the :xx from the end of a group name

still waiting for the results. the counter was on 195, though, which seems a tad high to me (is that my own count, btw, than it is wrong for sure, if that is the server count i don't know for sure, but still seems high to me. rslight is at 177, for example),

Subject: ok, that did the trick
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 16:05 UTC
all the missing messages came in as far as i could see.
the counter is at 180 again, so it must be servers watermark, right ?

Subject: pulled all the groups again now
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:16 UTC
some other groups were concerned as well. now the overboard is defunct. connection ?

Subject: overboard is back
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 19:23 UTC
with exactly one message (the one before this one). guess it should rebuild itself somehow ?

Subject: Re: overboard is back
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 19:34 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

with exactly one message (the one before this one). guess it should rebuild itself somehow ?

Wow, you're like the best beta test site ever :)

Your overboard page has no footer. That means the script is not completing, it's hanging on something. Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

www.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 19:43 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

with exactly one message (the one before this one). guess it should rebuild itself somehow ?

Wow, you're like the best beta test site ever :)

Your overboard page has no footer. That means the script is not completing, it's hanging on something. Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

Also, while testing it, the overboard page is cached for 5 minutes so if you make a change to something you either need to wait 5 minutes to see if it worked, or delete the cache /var/spool/rslight/rocksolid-overboard.cache

www.novabbs.com

Subject: Re: ok, that did the trick
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 22:07 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

all the missing messages came in as far as i could see.
the counter is at 180 again, so it must be servers watermark, right ?

That's correct. I also just checked and on i2pn2 (where you're connecting), it shows it to be 180 also:
200 i2pn2.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.1 ready (no posting)
group rocksolid.shared.offtopic
211 180 1 180 rocksolid.shared.offtopic

Use the last number (right before group name) to find highest article number.

www.novabbs.com

Subject: overboard
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 08:03 UTC
Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

well, not manually, no. i guess during updating articles were added of course.
the overboard works again now, but only includes messages from yesterday and later.
guess you just add new messages when they come, so if it looses its status for some reason, it does not rebuild everything ?

maybe i will just upgrade now to d, seeing if this fixes it. feels kind of pointless to debug an outdated version.